Reverb, can anything sound this good?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Reverb, can anything sound this good?

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 pm

I have been checking out a lot of demos of the strymon big sky. It sounds absolutely amazing and I really want one.

I am super broke at the minute and the thought of paying £400+ for a pedal is just crushing. I was wondering if there are any cheaper or second hand reverb units that can achieve similarly beautiful reverb responses, in particular the choral effects and shimmering ambient type stuff.

If not, I am just going to have to suck it up and get one :/
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Reverb, can anything sound this good?

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Nope, no chance any cheaper I'd say - especially those two modes.

I need to get it just for that as well soon :?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 am

Get something decent first, and in the meantime save up for the good stuff and upgrade later. I've been using a Lexicon MPX-550. Think it was $125. Lexicon reverbs are a superb value. I could probably get an octave pedal and get somewhere close to the mechanics of that shimmer sound. I was planning to upgrade someday to the Space. Then I heard Z's demos, and the strymon synth demos, of the Big Sky. That reverb dsp is just so damn good, it really seems like it is worth the money. I really think I'll be getting one very soon.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 am

The Zoom MS-70CDR has some algos based on those Eventide shimmer and ambient type effects, I'd be looking at that for a cheap substitute rather than something like a cheap lexicon.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am

There's other awesome reverbs out there. Are you going to get them all in one box? probably not…you could drop a lot of money trying to find a cluster of pedals the reproduce all that is in that box, and probably not in stereo, and probably with higher signal noise/noisefloor and definitely a deeper impact on your wallet.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

The Line 6 Verbzilla pedal can cover a good bit of the special FX ground. Even has a shimmer setting.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 pm

I have the minuscule Mooer ShimVerb pedal that, as the name implies, does a shimmer-ish 'verb (as well as somewhat passable room and spring emulations) - no doubt it's not as lush or as sophisticated as the BigSky, but can't really fault this box I paid 30 euros of...

And of course if plugins are an option, look at the ValhallaDSP stuff. All amazing.

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm

you could always do your own shimmer effect by creating a simple feedback loop with a cheap pitch shifter in the path (the cheaper the better; it's all about those glitchy digital artifacts being smooshed together by a thick lustrous glorious reverb... like floating on a cloud of titties)

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:45 am

Check out the Neunaber stereo effect pedals--there are four or five, but they only differ in the program they ship with, which can be changed via usb (the mono versions can't though), and of course the graphics. The quality of all the effects, especially the reverb, is stellar, and they do provide a "shimmer" program. You'd lose the switchable algorithms from the Strymon as well as a number of editing parameters, but the Neunaber pedals cost about $250.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the zombie thread. :oops:
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:20 am

Lexicon MX200. I own two, and they're glorious. Other than that, put the extra 100 in and go Eventide.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Are the Strymon boxes something you could use on a full mix too? It would be perhaps a bit odd to use a pedal for the purpose, but it's the stuff inside that counts in the end.

I just took a look at the prices for the Bricasti and "better" Lexicon models. Lord Christ, what year are we living currently anyway? The remote control for the Bricasti costs over two-thousand alone. I'm definitely going to be looking elsewhere for a good while still.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Cheapest way is to take your synths and a speaker into a cathedral, though. Plenty of reverb there.