CUBASE, external sequencers and sync...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
UnbalancedKarma
Gear: Ensoniq: SD-1/32
Kawai: K1m, K3, K4r, K5
Oberheim: DPX-1, OB-12
Quasimidi: Raven Max, Sirius
Siel: Mono
Band: Unbalanced Karma

CUBASE, external sequencers and sync...

Post by UnbalancedKarma » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

hi there,

I'm currently working on my project, and I have a problem I would like to sort out...
it's kinda cumbersome to explain, so I'll do my best :)

I'm using to hw sequencers (Quasimidi Raven and Sirius)... since I can't record all my audio tracks in cubase 5 at once (these synths only have L/R outputs), I'm forced to record one track at a time... I want to keep using internal sequencers and internal clock, since I may want to use some already recorded material, and setting cubase as master for recording will result in different tempos/timing comparing new and old recordings...
the way I'm currently working request repositioning "manually" each time each recorded track in time to play in sync with the others, which is kinda hard, pointless, time-wasting and frustrating...

what I'd like to do: press start on the Sirius/Raven (both set to internal sync/clock) and have cubase start recording...

is it possible?

Fabio
balancing Karma with Music.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: CUBASE, external sequencers and sync...

Post by synthroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 am

Can you set your hardware sequencers to external sync and then have Cubase send the sync. Press play/record on Cubase and the hardware will start running.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

UnbalancedKarma
Gear: Ensoniq: SD-1/32
Kawai: K1m, K3, K4r, K5
Oberheim: DPX-1, OB-12
Quasimidi: Raven Max, Sirius
Siel: Mono
Band: Unbalanced Karma

Post by UnbalancedKarma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 am

synthroom wrote:Can you set your hardware sequencers to external sync and then have Cubase send the sync. Press play/record on Cubase and the hardware will start running.
hi! I just read it but I'm not in my home studio right now...
not sure what you mean, I want to keep the Raven/Sirius internal clock, I don't want Cubase to be the midi clock source...
balancing Karma with Music.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 pm

You have no choice, Cubase will not slave to MIDI clock, it must be clock master.

It sounds like you are seeing some sloppiness in Cubase's MIDI clock and the Quasimidi's ability to sync to it?

Welcome to the nightmare of using computers for music :banghead:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Cubase 5 can sync to external clock. It sucks a*s compared to syncing hardware, but it does it! Not all hardware sends midi start messages however, so depending on what you use it might not start when you hit play. Still, I would use the most solid clock you have, don't worry about having it start on time when you track, and then truncate the audio accordingly when you arrange it. Not sure if Cubase has a threshold recording mode, but if it does, that's an option as well.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...