More ideas for my AS Gate Delay module?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

More ideas for my AS Gate Delay module?

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:40 pm

I have a gate delay module in my AS system that doesn't get used that much. I just don't know what to do with it, basically. The module has many options that I never use. Kinda wish I had chosen a Quantizer instead of the gate delay when I ordered mine.
I put it right next to my RS-200 3x8 step sequencer cos I read it's mostly used in tandem with a sequencer.

Is there something really cool I'm totally missing about this module? Give me some examples of other uses rather than delaying sequence triggers :)

Here's a pic of the module itself.
I've read the manual for it but it's just technical info mostly, not much practical usage tips.
Here's a direct link to the PDF manual. It mentions using it as a "pulse shaper"?
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/pdf/RS340.pdf

Usually I send Seq line A out to the VCO controller, and Trigger A out I split between a filter EG and Gate In (w/multiple), then Gate Out to another EG that retriggers the filter once more for delayed basslines.

But that is just ONE use for it. There must be lots more I don't have the imagination or know-how to do.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: More ideas for my AS Gate Delay module?

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:27 pm

I don't know about the AS, but the Doepfer is very short on the lowest gate length setting. That way you can convert gates to triggers, for example if you want to ping a filter with something that only outputs gates. (Looking closer I see the AS has a separate trigger out, so I guess it can do this on all gate length settings even.) If you have a mixed-manufacturer Euro, it's also very useful to get solid gates / triggers when compatibility issues between modules arise.

I also sometimes use it as a pseudo-comparator - you don't have a threshold, but the gate time influences the behaviour. For example, try feeding it noise to create random gates. Experiment with the gate length setting for more or less bursts.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:51 pm

What happens if you run other stuff through it, VCO/LFO waves, envelopes, whatever. Also experiment with using the reset/retrigger input.

That's part of the fun of a modular, you never know what kind of sounds you'll get using a module in a non-standard way.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:21 am

But it only sends out gates or triggers what would a waveform do on the input side then?

I've been a bit wary to experiment too much after I got told off here for using the multiple as a VCO mixer :lol:
Good thing the VCO's could handle being shorted together.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 am

what would a waveform do on the input side then?
You'll find out if you try it ;)

Gates and triggers are just pulses, you don't have to patch them into gate inputs. Use it to clock your S&H. Feed it into a mixer and mix it together with other CVs. Just experiment, see if anything interesting happens.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 am

When I bought my big system I had in mind I'd be like a mad wizard making the weirdest sounds ever with it. But my imagination or knowledge is limited to basic subtractive sounds it seems like, so I mostly do Tangerine Dream-type sequences with it. Or crazy s**t with the comb filter (really a BBD delay unit that mangles the sound completely if resonance is high).

My multimode filter has a RES OUT but I've never figured any good use for that.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:02 am

It acts like a comparator with a fixed threshold. So feeding it audio rate waveforms (e.g. from your VCOs) will create new audio rate pulse waveshapes.