How to record audio from Bass Station II into Ableton Live

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
powerhibiki

How to record audio from Bass Station II into Ableton Live

Post by powerhibiki » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 pm

I recently purchased the Novation Bass Station II and love everything about it. I use Ableton Live 9 as my DAW. I now want to learn how to record audio from my Bass Station II into Ableton Live. I have no audio interface/soundcard or MIDI in/out cables. I have the USB cable that came with the Bass Station II. I connect it to my computer and I can record MIDI from the Synth into Ableton. But I cannot hear anything I record. Is there something I need to do in preferences? Or is it simply impossible to record audio from the Synth into ableton with a USB cable alone? I am very new to the world of synthesizers/MIDI instruments, so all this business of recording and connectivity is very confusing for me. If anyone could let me know what's up I would appreciate it. Thank you.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: How to record audio from Bass Station II into Ableton Li

Post by pflosi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Hey there

The manual states:
Novation wrote:The USB connection can supply power to the synth, transfer MIDI data to/from a MIDI sequencer application and allow Patches to be saved to memory.
So no audio via USB. You can use the mic input of your computer, or buy an audio interface... And for both you need the appropriate cables of course. :thumbright:

Cheers!

powerhibiki

Post by powerhibiki » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:44 pm

if i want to use the mic input of my computer, what cable would i need? (what cable to use between the bass station II and the mic input i mean)

Thank you for the help

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:14 am

powerhibiki wrote:if i want to use the mic input of my computer, what cable would i need? (what cable to use between the bass station II and the mic input i mean)
One that has a connector on one end that fits the audio output of the BS2 and a connector on the other end that fits the mic input on your computer.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
powerhibiki wrote:if i want to use the mic input of my computer, what cable would i need? (what cable to use between the bass station II and the mic input i mean)
One that has a connector on one end that fits the audio output of the BS2 and a connector on the other end that fits the mic input on your computer.
d**k move! especially for a moderator...

in all likeliness you will need a 1/4in to 1/8in cable, hopefully just tip/sleeve, but trs should do to. look for a line input on your soundcard, it should sound a little better with a line level instrument such as a synth...

groy

Post by groy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Maybe reading through some of the articles on tweakheadz.com will help get your self oriented.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:48 am

c-level wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

in all likeliness you will need a 1/4in to 1/8in cable, hopefully just tip/sleeve, but trs should do to. look for a line input on your soundcard, it should sound a little better with a line level instrument such as a synth...
Teach a man to fish...

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Teach a man to fish...
:idea: Amen to that.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:27 pm

c-level wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

A moderator is here to moderate (such as removing comments about d**k moves), not answer questions that could be found out by reading the manual that came with the synth. Stop confusing moderators with customer service reps.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:20 pm

If you ask me, it's a bit nicer than being told to READ THE f**k MANUAL

but hey, thats just me.

AND it seems like he may or may not know how to set up both a midi track and an audio track in ableton. Can you actually use the mic input from the computer to go into ableton? Not that i have ever needed to just curious now :/

Also, how does dude nto have an interface? WOuldnt you need an interface even if youre 100% ITB?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:01 pm

phesago wrote:Also, how does dude nto have an interface? Wouldnt you need an interface even if youre 100% ITB?
I think you could get away without having one... Maybe daw, softare instruments/downloaded samples,then monitored via headphone jack from pc speakers or laptop?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:47 pm

powerhibiki wrote:I am very new to the world of synthesizers/MIDI instruments, so all this business of recording and connectivity is very confusing for me.
In Ableton's Audio tab under Preferences, whatever is listed as the available Input(s), use that. If none exist, you need an audio interface with an audio input.(which quite possibly could operate under USB, but independently)
tallowwaters wrote:A moderator is here to moderate (such as removing comments about d**k moves), not answer questions that could be found out by reading the manual that came with the synth.
I interpreted the op as saying he was dumbfounded by the manual and is therefore hopeless. That said, if all you ever recorded was direct-to-disk with your DAW, then perhaps there exists a whole generation of aspiring artists that may not know what a line-level input is for.

What is more disturbing is as little traffic as the VSE forum has been getting lately, there seems to be more and more people signing up just to ask questions like these, possibly migrating from the softsynth world and don't have the same experience many of us started with, but I still side with Stabby. Don't engage them, let them figure it out like we all did.
When he comes back to ask about what effects to use, or how to use that Mic-level input for re-amping or what synth to buy to go with that BassStation 2, then by all means contribute.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.