I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my songs.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
SYNTHMAN1978

I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my songs.

Post by SYNTHMAN1978 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi everyone. I've tried looking into professional mixing and mastering but that's really not what I'm after.
I'm looking for an establishment that will not not only mix and master my songs to industry standard, but who also have the synths and the expertise needed to produce my songs to industry standard. I'm looking for to make my songs into professional pumping dance tracks. I dont and will never be able to afford the equipment needed to produce such tracks myself.
Are there such services out there? If so, please tell me.
Regards,
Richard Steed

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my so

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't know, it seems like a lot of the pumping dance tracks of today are made really cheaply. Git yer DAW, NI Komplete, and some waves plugins to polish everything up (or maybe not), and you should be ready to give a set of individual tracks and a second set of rough mixes to a professional mixing / mastering studio. That's all you need anyway. Whether that's creatively satisfying is another story.

I don't think there are too many services out there like this, simply because for most musicians, what this service would be taking out is the "fun" part... Although I'm sure there are producers you could hire, and perhaps some studio spaces that are equipped with gear that may let you take recordings. Not sure if this one does, but http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=78389 is maintained by a member here on VSE.

Honestly, if you hired someone the likes of which a record company would hire to produce an album, and studio space, and then people to mix and master your tracks(I know you're looking for all in one, but these often require different studio spaces), you're looking at a HUGE investment going into only a handful of tracks that will most likely (even if they're great tracks) not make you very much money at all. And what's going to happen when it's over and you feel like if you had another go, you could make even better tracks the second time around? Which leads me to the question: Why do you want to make music in the first place?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Dude, you asked the same question two weeks ago. You obviously didn't like our suggestions then. Going to mark this as spam.
bonne chance

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:03 am

Why stop at having someone else produce, mix and master your tracks? Why not have them write them too? In fact, why don't you just go buy a cd that you like and write "Steedy" on it with a marker?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Why stop at having someone else produce, mix and master your tracks? Why not have them write them too? In fact, why don't you just go buy a cd that you like and write "Steedy" on it with a marker?
Sheeeeit. You read my mind.

Sorry for the flag, Stabs.
bonne chance

SYNTHMAN1978

Post by SYNTHMAN1978 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 pm

YOU ALL NEED TO GET THIS s**t OUT OF YOUR HEADS THAT PUMPING INDUSTRY STANDARD DANCE TRACKS ARE USED JUST USING DAWS AND PLUG'INS. BOLLOCKS.
WHY ARE THERE MULIT MILLIONPOUND RECORDINGS STUDIOS LIKE ABBEY ROAD FOR?
AND I'M NOT JUST TLAKING ABOUT THE RECORDING EQUIPMENT,THE MICROPHONES TOO.
I WANT TO USE A PRO STUDIO FOR A DAY SO I CAN PAY TO USE THE PRO EQUIPMENT LIKE IN ABBEY ROAD OR SOMEWHERE LIKE THAT.
f**k PLUG-INS. THEY ARE JUST FOR AMATEURS.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Abbey Road survives because it has the best sounding orchestral recording space in the world, and is located in a centre of the entertainment business. They don't normally get booked for pumping dance tracks, because they don't have any synths there.

Maybe some reality therapy would be if more benefit to you.
Last edited by madtheory on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Its fine to have someone else produce your music soup to nuts.

Its also fine to produce your music yourself.

What I don't understand is why you think one is going to be cheaper than the other. It'll take time to communicate your ideas to someone else, along with the time it will take to record/produce/mix/master. The better the individual (or team) you hire, the more $$ its gonna cost. Multiply that by every album you put out.

While yes, it costs money to invest in your own gear, you have more freedom to A: choose what you want (and what you want to spend) and B: you'll have the choice to keep these investments and use it on the next record at no cost.

Software vs Hardware is a sound preference thing, not a right or wrong. Plenty of 'pumping dance music' has been produced both ways.

Again, if you're concerned about budget, having a pro (or pros) produce music for is probably not the cost saving move. Lets put it into dollar figures. Let's say the most traditionally studio and team produced albums cost what, $50-100k to make? At the everyman's level $5-10k? Investing in your own studio - $2-5k? Not exact figures, just basic comparisons.

Trouble writing good music? Gear ain't gonna change a thing.....

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:36 pm

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:f**k PLUG-INS. THEY ARE JUST FOR AMATEURS.
There are a F*cking lot o' F*cking professionals making F*cking truckloads o' F*cking money by using those F*cking plug-ins.

And, as mentioned above, don't mix up gear at orchestra recording venues with the in-the-box industry which caters for orchestral/dance/pop/anything for a price tag that appeals to a great lot o' tv/film/radio/commercial producers. See, until I get 6-digit figures on my bank for a gig, not a hair on my head is going to book an orchestra @ Abbey Road.

What you mean to say is: "amateurs can use plug-ins", but that doesn't mean "plug-ins are for amateurs".
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:43 pm

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:YOU ALL NEED TO GET THIS s**t OUT OF YOUR HEADS THAT PUMPING INDUSTRY STANDARD DANCE TRACKS ARE USED JUST USING DAWS AND PLUG'INS. BOLLOCKS.
I WANT TO USE A PRO STUDIO FOR A DAY SO I CAN PAY TO USE THE PRO EQUIPMENT LIKE IN ABBEY ROAD OR SOMEWHERE LIKE THAT.
Abby Road uses plugins, and even has their own plugin range.
http://www.abbeyroad.com/Page/19/Equipment-Tech wrote:Our extensive range of classic and modern outboard equipment from EMI, Fairchild, Urei, Lexicon and TC Electronic is used alongside the latest plugin offerings from Waves, Universal Audio and Sonnox, as well as those from our Abbey Road Studios plugins range.
I think if you book time at a professional mixing or mastering studio, their engineers will use the equipment, and it will be expensive. You may probably just sit on the couch and say "ok, this sounds good. How 'bout a little more bass?" Which would be fun, but extremely expensive. And you may end up going there and watching the engineer load your tracks into a computer and open waves plugins. A studio like Sound Farm Studios Ibiza http://soundfarm-studios-ibiza.com/studios/01/ might be closer to what you're looking for, but they don't really have a bunch of exotic hardware outside of a modular system. I'm sure you can book time there and use it and whatever else they have as well, but keep in mind they are also heavily software oriented, and their engineer may be the one using the gear too, I don't know. You can also take classes I think? Someone like Oliver Lieb http://www.oliverlieb.com/mastering/ http://lhaudio.com/ could probably nail the mix/ mastering, but then it would just be the mixing/mastering service you don't seem to be looking for. Again, you'd better have some cash.

So by now you should be able to piece together at least one solution: that you can write your music however you want, take the song ideas to CA and create recordings of the parts with the exotic gear (most likely) at the place I linked to in my previous post, then take your stuff to one of the places linked to above (or maybe even Abby road) and have them mix the tracks and create a master. This seems like you would have what you're looking for, but the cost benefit ratio of something like this is absurd. It would be so much cheaper to just buy a nice mono synth, a nice poly synth, an mpc or some kind of drum machine, and a sampler; and create your source material that way, making sure to take good digital recordings. And then use maybe one service to mix/master some tracks that you are really satisfied with. In the 90's, there are loads of professional dance tracks that used little if anything more than a rack sampler or two, which are dirt cheap now. If your patch design skills are up to par, there's no reason why you can't create beautifully designed sounds on software from the Komplete bundle, Maschine, Alchemy, or something like that that will capture the sound of an "industry standard pumping dance hit" perfectly. Juno Reactor was using NI plugins in the early 2000's, and even name drom NI on their album Shango.

What you use to make the source material is not going to affect the qualities your looking for in a finished song, and the qualities you're looking for can be easily attained with even the most simple tools. A year with some modest hardware is worth more than a day in a room full of the most posh gear.

As for having someone to help you solve problems while writing, or to give you experience with how to get certain sounds, it's a shame that the average person cannot really have what amounts to an apprenticeship with top recording artists. Either way, people on this forum know pretty much all of the tricks in various capacities, and learning to get the sounds you hear from a record is a lot of fun. Learn it, post about it, and see what you can do with what you have! It seems tempting to want to jump to professionalism right away, but the time in between starting out and creating industry standard tracks is a good time. h**l, most fans of professional artists prefer the demos and early works of their favorite artists because of unique textures and qualities that are preserved by failing to meet “industry standards.” It's like having sex. Technically an orgasm is the goal, but do you really want to cut out everything leading up to it?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:04 am

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:YOU ALL NEED TO GET THIS s**t OUT OF YOUR HEADS THAT PUMPING INDUSTRY STANDARD DANCE TRACKS ARE USED JUST USING DAWS AND PLUG'INS. BOLLOCKS.
I'm surprised that somebody who knows so much about pumping industry standard dance tracks is asking for advice on this forum! You really should be sharing your expertise with others!

But seriously, a great deal of music is made using plugins. I have a friend who plays in a band which had a song go to number one in 23 countries and sold 10 million+ copies, and that song was all made on a computer. I recently toured with a producer who's often named as someone who's on the cutting edge of dance music, and when I asked him about a particularly great sounding reverb on one of his tracks he told me it was a $50 Valhalla DSP plugin. You don't need expensive gear to make successful music, you need good songs. Work on the songs, the gear will follow if the songs are good enough.

Oh, and if you're interested in finding out exactly what people are using to make pumping industry standard dance music then watch a few of the Red Bull Music Academy lectures. Here's one I attended from a few years back where Skream talks about how he uses Fruity Loops to make pumping industry standard dance music.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Maybe we should ask you the first and most important question - what is your budget?? How much are you intending to spend to get the results that you want? Once we know that, we might be able to suggest a studio/producer based on that.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:00 pm

haha wtf. Abbey Road would have to be the *last* place I would think of when talking about dance music, why would you even think that? :lol:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:41 am

great thread 10/10

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Out to Sea would definitely be a hit if it got the right production:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=150623