I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my songs.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my so

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:28 am

Guy asks "what expensive gear and studios and producers do big name artists use, it's not plugins, plugins are for amateurs"
Forum replies "no actually it's plugins, the difference comes from talent and hard work"
Guy: "you're lying to me forum and I'm getting very angry about it, I'm going to yell a bit"
Forum: "this is a bit of an amusing situation"
Guy: "ok I've calmed down a little bit, tell me which expensive gear, studios and producers these three artists use, I personally am unable to operate a search engine to find out myself"
Forum: "congratulations you've picked three artists who produce their music entirely in their laptops themselves without third party producers and with very minimal expensive equipment (none at all in two of the three cases). This is a rather amusing development"

I personally like quite a lot of dance music, and there's a lot of dance music that I know of which is produced in very interesting ways with very interesting gear and I would be happy and interested to discuss those techniques and that gear. However, Steedy wants to know about how music which is produced in a straightforward and quite basic way is made. It's all the artist and it's all the laptop, there are no secret helpers that anyone could hire and it would magically turn their music into a number one hit. I feel like the KLF manual has a lot to answer for in this regard, I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously.

edit: Grammar

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 am

#SteedSucks
bonne chance

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:44 am

Ok fair enough, I take your point. Still I mean who hasn't been there at some point?

I used to listen to techno and think I needed the most expensive gear to make anything decent. We all learn :lol:

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:This is a rather amusing development"
Hahaha

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:51 pm

I can't help but think dead mouse 5 and the magazine articles featuring his walls of modular or vintage gear or whatever he's got has something to do with this.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:22 am

that, or it's a chemical imbalance exacerbated by a genetic predisposition toward
pPPUMPING DANCE MUSICCc

the steedster hath return , i c
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 am

ninja6485 wrote:I can't help but think dead mouse 5 and the magazine articles featuring his walls of modular or vintage gear or whatever he's got has something to do with this.
Yes to be fair to Mr Steed, there is a massive part of production culture that encourages you to think spending money is always the best answer.

Also it's kinda funny to see how little gear Deadmau5 had before he got famous, something tells me most of it is superfluous, fun I'm sure. But superfluous.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:10 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:#SteedSucks
And he's going to have to suck quite hard, if he wants David Guetta to produce his tracks for free.

SYNTHMAN1978

Post by SYNTHMAN1978 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am

There is NO way I can't get a professional hard pumping dance tracks and bass tracks just using Vengeance Phalanx with a Vengeance analogue drums kit using Cubase 7.5,a Roland Quad Capture.
I paid for 200 pounds for a professional review on Tunecore and it asked about 200 fans on iTunes what they thought of the song. They said that they could hear the bass properly and the drum track wasn't loud enough. I had bassically Compressed the living s**t out of those tracks.
I TELL YOU NOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST THE EQUIPMENT I'VE JUST MENTIONED.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:06 pm

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I TELL YOU NOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST THE EQUIPMENT I'VE JUST MENTIONED.
You're absolutely right! Gear isn't going to fix your inability to mix properly.
SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I had bassically Compressed the living s**t out of those tracks.
There's more to it than that. Over compression usually kills parts of, if not all of a mix.
SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I paid for 200 pounds for a professional review on Tunecore and it asked about 200 fans on iTunes what they thought of the song.
You could save $$ by posting your music up here for us to review. We could help you determine whats going on with your mixes for FREE.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm

One generally shouldn't compress too bassically, that's what the sidechain EQ is for :thumbleft:

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:12 pm

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:There is NO way I can't get a professional hard pumping dance tracks and bass tracks just using Vengeance Phalanx with a Vengeance analogue drums kit using Cubase 7.5,a Roland Quad Capture.
I paid for 200 pounds for a professional review on Tunecore and it asked about 200 fans on iTunes what they thought of the song. They said that they could hear the bass properly and the drum track wasn't loud enough. I had bassically Compressed the living s**t out of those tracks.
I TELL YOU NOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST THE EQUIPMENT I'VE JUST MENTIONED.
Learn to mix bruv. It's not the gear, it's the person using it, innit.

Seriously though, you mentioned 3 artists you were using as a reference of 'good industry standard pumping dance music', all of which are pretty much exclusive laptop users who mix and master their own stuff with nothing but plugins. If they can do it, so can you; you just need to learn how.

Instead of trying to find new gear or expensive studios to try and make your music better, learn to actually make better music and mix it well.

It may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Get on youtube, watch some tutorials geared towards making and mixing the kind of music you want to make and go from there. You'd be amazed what a little side chaining and proper compression use can do to transform a track, especially if 'pumping' is something you are going for.

Before you throw a wall of all caps back at me, just take a look and see for yourself. You need to admit that you are dead wrong about how most of this stuff is made before you can move ahead.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, D-550, S2000, Model D, MODX6;
Out: MOXF6, DeepMind 12
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:42 pm

You do realize everybody's given him the same advice for 8 years now?
Last edited by ItsMeOnly on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:05 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:You could save $$ by posting your music up here for us to review. We could help you determine whats going on with your mixes for FREE.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=150623

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

madtheory wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:You could save $$ by posting your music up here for us to review. We could help you determine whats going on with your mixes for FREE.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=150623
Oh man, wow. Wish I'd checked that out before I posted in this thread. :?