I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my songs.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: I'm looking for a professional producer to improve my so

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Totes.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Why don't you just take your demo tracks to a "major record label" and ask them what they think of the songs? If they like the basic essence of what you've written they'll look past the bad mixing side of things and tell you what you should do to get them up to scratch, and sign you up. Then they'll put you in contact with all those big time producers/engineers that you are seeking to hire anyway. Let them do the work for you if they want to sign you up. Sounds to me like you're doing it back the front.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:You do realize everybody's given him the same advice for 8 years now?
I think it's more than eight, I swear it must have been at least ten years ago that he started doing this and got banned the first time.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:04 am

madtheory wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:You could save $$ by posting your music up here for us to review. We could help you determine whats going on with your mixes for FREE.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=150623
Sad to admit this, but he plays better than I do...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:24 am

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I paid for 200 pounds for a professional review on Tunecore and it asked about 200 fans on iTunes what they thought of the song. They said that they could hear the bass properly and the drum track wasn't loud enough. I had bassically Compressed the living s**t out of those tracks.
You wasted 200 pounds, but at least they were honest. Did you realise that compression makes things quieter and sound smaller? When used properly you can make sure the timing of when things get quieter aligns in a way so that the entire track can be made to seem louder, but you need to actually know what you're doing, not just make things more compressed than anybody else's in the hope that that will make them better. What you're saying is similar to saying "Why don't my paintings look as good as Van Gogh's, I put more paint on the canvas than he did, maybe he's using some special kind of brushes?"
SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I TELL YOU NOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST THE EQUIPMENT I'VE JUST MENTIONED.
Exactly, it's not the gear or the amount of compression or anything else like that, it's the person who's making the song.

I think you would be more happy if you just accepted that doing this kind of thing just isn't what you're good at. That way you can either work really hard at improving by taking a course or similar, or just enjoy making music for the fun of it, not to try to make massive hits or a lot of money. Your mental health will be much better for it.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:...just enjoy making music for the fun of it, not to try to make massive hits or a lot of money. Your mental health will be much better for it.
I think we ALL need to take this advice!

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:52 pm

I think this thread should get locked. The guy is an obvious troll and he's received plenty of good advice to disregard. There is no reasoning with this person.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm

dustinh wrote:The guy is an obvious troll
Actually just mentally unstable, as the legend goes...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:...just enjoy making music for the fun of it, not to try to make massive hits or a lot of money. Your mental health will be much better for it.
I think we ALL need to take this advice!
Excellent advice :)

SYNTHMAN1978

Post by SYNTHMAN1978 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:There is NO way I can't get a professional hard pumping dance tracks and bass tracks just using Vengeance Phalanx with a Vengeance analogue drums kit using Cubase 7.5,a Roland Quad Capture.
I paid for 200 pounds for a professional review on Tunecore and it asked about 200 fans on iTunes what they thought of the song. They said that they could hear the bass properly and the drum track wasn't loud enough. I had bassically Compressed the living s**t out of those tracks.
I TELL YOU NOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST THE EQUIPMENT I'VE JUST MENTIONED.
Learn to mix bruv. It's not the gear, it's the person using it, innit.

Seriously though, you mentioned 3 artists you were using as a reference of 'good industry standard pumping dance music', all of which are pretty much exclusive laptop users who mix and master their own stuff with nothing but plugins. If they can do it, so can you; you just need to learn how.

Instead of trying to find new gear or expensive studios to try and make your music better, learn to actually make better music and mix it well.

It may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Get on youtube, watch some tutorials geared towards making and mixing the kind of music you want to make and go from there. You'd be amazed what a little side chaining and proper compression use can do to transform a track, especially if 'pumping' is something you are going for.

Before you throw a wall of all caps back at me, just take a look and see for yourself. You need to admit that you are dead wrong about how most of this stuff is made before you can move ahead.
I've already used side chain and proper compression. IT AINT ENOUGH.
I read somewhere that David Guetta only used that plug in Nexus for the piano sound. He wouldn't DARE used it for pro bass and drums.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:12 pm

"Compressing the living s h i t out of something" != "proper compression" :idea:

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:13 pm

http://starcadian.bandcamp.com/album/sunset-blood

I talked to this guy personally. This whole record was made on a laptop with ableton with a large chunk of the sounds coming from stock ableton plugs including all the vocoder stuff. He used a very basic audio interface to record the guitar stuff.

At some point you're going to have to accept the fact that your problem is not your equipment, it's you.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:46 am

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote: He wouldn't DARE used it for pro bass and drums.
Or you'd murder him?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:27 am

SYNTHMAN1978 wrote:I've already used side chain and proper compression. IT AINT ENOUGH.
You're right it isn't enough, you need to learn how to use it PROPERLY. :idea: