Optimum sample rate for SoundCloud

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
nme
Gear: Korg Monotrons: Original, Delay and Duo.

Korg Volcas: Beats and Keys.

Roland Juno-60
Band: n.m.e

Optimum sample rate for SoundCloud

Post by nme » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:41 pm

I've been putting stuff on SoundCloud for a few years by now and I'm really frustrated with how crappy it sounds. I know that streaming audio is the best way to make it sound like garbage, but when I listen to other people's sounds it doesn't seem as bad. Is there an optimum render setting to make my tracks sound a bit better? Or am I just noticing it more in my tracks because I really know how it should sound? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Optimum sample rate for SoundCloud

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Have you read this yet?

The actual steam is 128k MP3. This reduces resolution of course, but for optimum quality you should upload in a lossless format, 44.1/16.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:55 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Have you read this yet?

The actual steam is 128k MP3. This reduces resolution of course, but for optimum quality you should upload in a lossless format, 44.1/16.

Good info, also note that if you enable downloading, they get a copy of the originally uploaded file (or so it seems if I am interpreting the third entry on the link above) so I would take care to prep the file for distribution...

What would be the best format for lossless / high quality lossy for distribution taking file size into account? In the past, Ive always uploaded 320mp3 :oops:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm

sigment wrote:What would be the best format for lossless / high quality lossy for distribution taking file size into account? In the past, Ive always uploaded 320mp3 :oops:
Lossless: FLAC (about 55% as large as WAV)
Lossy: 320 mp3
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nme
Gear: Korg Monotrons: Original, Delay and Duo.

Korg Volcas: Beats and Keys.

Roland Juno-60
Band: n.m.e

Post by nme » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:08 am

Hmmm. I am exporting WAVs so I guess it can't get better. I know that streaming audio quality is pretty low, and I think the reason I notice it so much more in my tracks is because of the amount of time I've spent listening to it sound correct. Thanks guys!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 pm

It seems 90% of the general population listen to internet music at it's lowest compression rate.
So to me, it's a waste of time uploading it in WAV or FLAC format to Soundcloud unless you know they will be downloading it and playing it to that format.

Unless of course we hold to the theory, garbage in, garbage out, or high quality upload will still sound better even in mp3 format than uploading at a lower rate.

Can you clear this up for me please? because I generally upload to Soundcloud at 256kps bit rate.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm

That argument is merely an assumption. Turns out people do care, they just have no idea what they're hearing. Always upload in a lossless or uncompressed format to avoid transcoding. If you're really concerned read this, and if you've time watch this, demonstrates my first point, and how one must be vigilant.

Incidentally, it's really hard to tell 192k MP3 from the source, and 320k is indistinguishable.
Last edited by madtheory on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:06 pm

madtheory wrote:That's argument is merely an assumption. Turns out people do care, they just have no idea what they're hearing. Always upload in a lossless or uncompressed format to avoid transcoding. If you're really concerned watch this, demonstrates my first point, and how one must be vigilant.
thanks, I am very interested in this discussion.
While it doesn't rank up there with analog/digial synthesizer discussions, it is one many people have a lot of opinion about bit rates, and how high a rate is really necessary.(I'm talking mp3 bit rate downloading rates).

I think you forgot to share a link to watch?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks, fixed it. Added a text link as well. Phone messed up :)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:32 pm

The guy is brilliant, and explained everything in common language, not engineer speak.
Great lecture and explanation.
His passion for the subject is QUITE OBVIOUS... :)

Thanks for the link madtheory.