Novation Bass Station 2 and Ableton.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Novation Bass Station 2 and Ableton.

Postby knowtorious » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:29 am

Hello,

I bought a Novation Bass-station 2 and I am trying to get it set up into Ableton Live 9. It is best for me to say first I am a complete beginner on the hardware side of things, and am still a novice with the software, if I need to purchase more hardware I can and will in order to get this working.

The problem;
I am able to play A (1) sound from my synth through Ableton, and every time I change my synth all the melodies do too. It seems I am currently unable to make use of all the patches I can with my synth. My question is this, how can I load multiple patches from my synth into Ableton so I can have multiple sounds playing and edit each sound individually? I tried creating a melody and then exporting the sound and re importing into a fresh project but it either didn't save the sound (audio file) or was still linked to my synth (MIDI file).

Thanks.
knowtorious

Re: Novation Bass Station 2 and Ableton.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:52 am

You need to record the synth to an audio track. Do the lessons that come with Live, it explains it in great detail.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:53 pm

To make sure a clip replays with the proper patch you need to insert the program number in the clip. Since the BSII has only one patch bank, this is easy.

To change bank/patch on the Bass Station from Live:

- On a MIDI channel set MIDI To to 'Bass Station'.

- Create a MIDI clip on the MIDI channel.

- Click on the clip to edit it.

- Under 'Notes' at the bottom of the screen use the Program (Pgm) box to select bank and patch. Leave Bank and Sub-bank at the default (1) since the Bass Station has only one bank. Patch 000 on the Bass Station corresponds with Program 1 in Live, patch 001 with program 2 and so on.

- The bank/patch on the Bass Station will change as soon as the MIDI clip is played.

As Stab wrote above, you still need to record the audio into Live at some point, but the above will ensure the MIDI clips you have already recorded will play the correct patch on the BSII.

Read the section about External Instrument, p. 418 in the manual and watch these videos.

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

In this one, jump to 15:00:

Watch on youtube.com
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9

Postby knowtorious » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:50 pm

meatballfulton wrote:To make sure a clip replays with the proper patch you need to insert the program number in the clip. Since the BSII has only one patch bank, this is easy.

To change bank/patch on the Bass Station from Live:

- On a MIDI channel set MIDI To to 'Bass Station'.

- Create a MIDI clip on the MIDI channel.

- Click on the clip to edit it.

- Under 'Notes' at the bottom of the screen use the Program (Pgm) box to select bank and patch. Leave Bank and Sub-bank at the default (1) since the Bass Station has only one bank. Patch 000 on the Bass Station corresponds with Program 1 in Live, patch 001 with program 2 and so on.

- The bank/patch on the Bass Station will change as soon as the MIDI clip is played.

As Stab wrote above, you still need to record the audio into Live at some point, but the above will ensure the MIDI clips you have already recorded will play the correct patch on the BSII.

Read the section about External Instrument, p. 418 in the manual and watch these videos.

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

In this one, jump to 15:00:

Watch on youtube.com

Oh, wow. Thank you, got it sorted!
knowtorious

Return to Sound Production