Zoom MS-70CDR?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Zoom MS-70CDR?

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:38 am

I know this is a synth forum but does any one have any experiences with the Zoom MS-70CDR FX pedal? And if you do care to post some examples?

I can't find a decent demo on youtube or anything good with a synth through it rather than a guitar.
The demos seem to range from terrible where it sounds like a metallic effect on top of the original sound rather than being as one to stuff that isn't too bad.

I like the idea of the pedal but then at the same price point you also have the Line 6 M5

Any thoughts on this?
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Re: Zoom MS-70CDR?

Postby Rokk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:33 pm

I have it. I won't say it's amazing, because it's just not. But is it good? Yes. It has quite a few usable choruses, one or two of them being very good. I don't care about flangers and phaser, though. Some delays are nice, although tap tempo function doesn't seem to work. I need to update the firmware. The reverbs are interesting, especially Particle reverb that creates a sort of choir pad / reverb sound. I use it a lot.
For the money it's not a bad idea buying one for each synth :)
Rokk

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Rokk wrote:For the money it's not a bad idea buying one for each synth :)

I like your style :D

Can the tape delay on it do ping pong stereo or is it always mono?
vinyl_junkie

Postby nuketifromorbit » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:52 pm

I just got one as part of a trade, and after being underwhelmed by the built in reverbs on my zoom r16 I wasn't expecting much. I'm happy to say, considering the price point, that I was blown away. I don't have any hands on experience with any of the eventide or strymon delays/reverbs it emulates, but I'll be damned if doesn't sound good. Keep in mind that I'm not a "tone" snob. Also I don't think this thing isn't best suited for creating clear natural sounding verbs, but rather synthetic, and yes metallic, ambient washes. Think of it as more of a special efx box.

Heres a full list of the units/pedals it emulates

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-70cdr/spec/
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:21 pm

I have the MS-100BT--basically the same with with more modules. Awesome little unit. I use it for every practice and gig on guitar for tuner and fx I might want occasionally--chorus, trem, and delay. Good for all of them but I haven't found an analog modeling delay that does a really good analog delay. Then again I'm an analog delay junkie.

Tap is a little inconvenient because you have to enter tap mode--either by a little button or holding the switch 1 sec. but it seems to work pretty well for timing.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:05 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Also I don't think this thing isn't best suited for creating clear natural sounding verbs, but rather synthetic, and yes metallic, ambient washes. Think of it as more of a special efx box.

Right, I have quite few FX boxes none of which are realistic imo but neither are cold or metallic.. Well other than the built in stuff in the Akai's lol That stuff is generally un-usable for anything other than short verbs

With the Lexicon's you can pile on the stuff and it sounds decent, sits and mixes with the sound rather than just on top of it.

Sony HR-MP5

Lexicon LXP-15II

Lexicon LXP-15II
vinyl_junkie

Postby Rokk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:

I like your style :D

Can the tape delay on it do ping pong stereo or is it always mono?

You have both stereo and mono delays. Plenty of them.
Rokk

Postby blavatsky » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:45 pm

I'd recommend it for the price

I've owned/played with Strymon El Capistan/Blue Sky, Eventide Timefactor, WET reverb, line 6 verbzilla, etc

For the money, MS70 holds it's own but as mentioned above may not cut it for "tone purists"
Seems to sound better in stereo, in mono a few of the reverbs tend to have that metallic-sitting-on-top-of-mix sound you mention. That being said...I won't be replacing my El Capistan or Timefactor with this either.

The fact you can stack effects is great, like verb->delay->verb etc. Use it with my Moog Subphatty, no tremendous tone-suck or loss of clarity to my ears
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby Push-Pull » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:25 pm

That's what I've done:

A 70CDR for the Mopho and a 100BT for the DX7.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)
Push-Pull

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Very nice, can we hear some audio examples? :D
vinyl_junkie

Return to Sound Production