Thunderbolt 3 is here

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Thunderbolt 3 is here

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:12 pm

And you were wondering if you needed Thunderbolt 2! Just announced by Intel:

The new Thunderbolt 3 doubles the speed of Thunderbolt 2 (available in select Apple Macs today) with an eye-watering 40Gbps of bandwidth. It’s also 8x faster than USB 3.0, and is fully compatible with the upcoming USB-C interface. The best part about the new Thunderbolt: for the first time ever, a single port now delivers enough juice to power not one, but two hi-def 4K displays simultaneously, charge your notebook, and transfer huge files. How fast are we talking about? A full-run 4k movie will transfer in under 30 seconds.Chips expected to ship before the end of the year.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Thunderbolt 3 is here

Postby Hybrid88 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Meh, I'm still using USB 2... talk about playing the catch up game, nuther bloody plug/cable type every other month :facepalm:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Thunderbolt 3 is here

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:59 pm

And also, it uses passive cables to achieve thunderbolt 2 data rates, it only needs active cables for the new data rates.

USB 3.1 (USB C) devices can also be plugged into the port and will work as usb C devices. (reverse may or may not be true depending on MFR)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Return to Sound Production