Advise on Mixer Choice needed

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Advise on Mixer Choice needed

Postby dawnmist studio » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 am

Hiy

I am planning to upgrade my mixer to something better than something very basic that was homemade 15 years ago (!)

I need to plug in:
MIC
SYNTH (I will be using Mono) Roland W30 Workstation
SYNTH (I will be using Mono) Yamaha DX7fdII
SYNTH (I will be using Mono) Homemade synth
SYNTH (I will be using Stereo but do not care if mono) Korg M1
SYNTH (I will be using Stereo) Roland JP8080
SYNTH (I will be using Stereo) Roland Fantom XR

My independant effects unit (I only have one at the moment) is a full stereo unit so I want to preserve the full stereo sounds of the JP8080 and the Fantom and use them with this effects unit. I do not care for the other synths being in mono.

I want to spend about £250-£300 UK pounds.

I have been considering a Behringer Xenyx x2442FX for a few days now but something worries me...
It has quite a few mono inputs plus a few stereo, however, I got my partner to look at the block diagram for it and it appears that the stereo inputs do not preserve the stereo from the synths but will convert them into mono which defeats the whole purpose of me choosing this mixer. The only way I could get around this is to re-route the sub-sliders back into the aux-returns but it would mean that most of the aux-sends would not work except for one which would work for an onboard effects unit which is mono.

So now I am at a loss as to what to do.
We could build our own custom mixer but it will take time to design and make and likely be a bit more expensive than a ready made mixer.

Can anyone suggest a mixer that perhaps they use or know of that would work with the list I have at the top of this question???
I can use the JP8080 and the Fantom with the mono outputs but I am worried I will loose the lovely stereo sounds they have which is why I want to see what other mixers might be around that can do proper full stereo.

THANKS... and I hope my request is not too confusing!
Heather
dawnmist studio

Gear: Radias
JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Re: Advise on Mixer Choice needed

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Heather,

I can't think of any mixer off hand that has stereo aux sends on the stereo channels.

What you need is a mixer with enough mono channels to handle all your synths but use two channels for each stereo synth...in your case at least nine mono channels. As long as the board has at least two post-fader aux sends, you would be able to send to your FX processor in stereo.

The Behringer has 8 mono channels and the four stereo channels may be used as four mono channels (patch into the L/mono jack) so 12 in all, enough for your needs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 am

I wanted a similar thing a while ago and ended up using a Urei DJ mixer. Had true stereo fx sends but only stereo line ins on the channel, I solved that by multing the mono units to go in both sides of the stereo inputs. Worked really well and sounded great.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Calgonstudio » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:33 pm

May I ask , what is your goal, Personal use or production? your homemade mixer, is it Console or line mixer?
There area few great Rack line mixers out there that can be had for under $300(USD, not sure the current conversion to pounds)
Mackie 1604 VLZ is a good small format mixer.
Calgonstudio

Band: Client No7

Postby dawnmist studio » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:58 am

Hi All

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
It seems after looking at the options we will build our own custom mixer after all.
Have designed it already and my partner has done the block diagram. We will pick the components for it shortly.
This way I get all the preserved stereo I want and all the right sliders and dials as I want them plus stereo sends and returns. We have an in-house electronics lab so should not be difficult. Maybe I'll post a pic on the forum when complete! Am going to have the instruments as big coloured buttons which light up when that instrument is active and go out when muted.

Thanks again
Heather
dawnmist studio

JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Postby dawnmist studio » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:13 am

p.s here is a pic of my homemade mixer, it is prehistoric but it did the job until now, giggle Image
dawnmist studio

JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Postby HideawayStudio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am

One little mixer I think is now superb value for money second hand and very often overlooked is the little Roland VM-3100 Pro which is perhaps now more relevant to modern digital setups than when it was first released. It is an all digital 24-bit 12 (20) channel mixer with 8 mono inputs, 2 stereo pairs, 2 mic inputs with phantom power, digital I/O on SP-DIF and coaxial as well as two half decent built in FX processors, digital EQ and a VU meter display for all channels. With the built in FX you might be able to live without more than the two external sends (there is also access to the internal audio bus via a pair of output connectors)

Its very compact, well built, quiet and has all sorts of internal routing and even handles MIDI - to this effect it can all get a little overwhelming/confusing at times but setup as a basic mixdown mixer and its actually a very nice piece of kit.

I use one both in my studio and The Lab for general monitoring purposes and would never part with them.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby seamonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

WOW, that is sweet! thanks for the heads up Dan. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby dawnmist studio » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks for all the help. As of now, Aug/Sept 2015 with the help of my partner we are designing and making our own mixer specially! I'm calling it the Dawnmist Fluffixer. It will have about 13 true stereo channels.
dawnmist studio

JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW