First mixer advice

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
HappyFunTimes

First mixer advice

Post by HappyFunTimes » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:14 am

I'm ready to buy my first mixer, and I have reduced the options to these two. I am aware that these are not the best, but I want something cheap that will best meet my needs. After I learn more I will probably swap for something better.

Tapco Mix120

Yamaha MG8/2FX

Here is a list of what I want to connect, not necessarily all at the same time:

Sequential Prophet 2000 sampler
Yamaha REX50 multi effects
Microkorg
DX7
Yamaha RX5

I can get either for about $50. I will probably use effects on the RX5, and DX7 mostly. Please let me know which might be better for a first mixer, or which is just better overall. Thanks.
Last edited by HappyFunTimes on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

salwa

Re: First mixer advice

Post by salwa » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 am

Have you considered small Behringer mixers? I have 1202 (with Xenyx preamps) for more than 10 years and I'm quite happy with it. 12 channels, neutral sound, good quality and cheap.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:01 am

salwa wrote:Have you considered small Behringer mixers? I have 1202 (with Xenyx preamps) for more than 10 years and I'm quite happy with it. 12 channels, neutral sound, good quality and cheap.
+ 1 (Behringer Eurorack UB1002 in my case). Definitely worth the little money it costs, and in my opinion the build quality is (surprisingly?) good.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:35 am

Ignore the above advice, the B*****her mixers are c**p and make anything you run through them sound dull and flat, and they break easily. I've owned two, the price makes the really tempting, but go with the Yamaha if you want reliable value for money.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:35 pm

I would also choose Yamaha over Behringer and Tapco (Mackie's budget line).

You get inserts on two channels and a real stereo return bus.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:12 pm

I've never had any problem with my Behringer mixer, my bandmate, who has similar model, also. Maybe it's model dependant?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm

salwa wrote:I've never had any problem with my Behringer mixer
Neither had I, nor with my BCR 2000, nor with about half a dozen guitar and bass guitar stompboxes, some of which I have and use for 10+ years now...
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

HappyFunTimes

Post by HappyFunTimes » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks for the responses. I had originally considered the behringer line as well, but have read so many negative reviews I'd rather not mess with them. I've never had problems with Yamaha, so I think I will stick with them.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 am

salwa wrote:I've never had any problem with my Behringer mixer, my bandmate, who has similar model, also. Maybe it's model dependant?
But have you ABed a mix running through a channel on the B to running through a return on it to running clean to the monitors? Have you compared how things sound running through it on a big PA to running straight to a DI? If you have only used one mixer or you're only monitoring in cans or through a boom box or whatever you aren't really in a position to be offering advice. I've seen a lot of people who were happy with their b mixer until they tried something else, and then realised what it was doing to the sound. You don't see anybody going from even anything like a Mackie or Yamaha to B because they can't tell the difference, and that's because the difference is very real.

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
salwa wrote:I've never had any problem with my <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &x=11&y=13" target="_blank" class="vglnk"><span>Behringer</span></a> mixer, my bandmate, who has similar model, also. Maybe it's model dependant?
But have you ABed a mix running through a channel on the B to running through a return on it to running clean to the monitors? Have you compared how things sound running through it on a big PA to running straight to a DI? If you have only used one mixer or you're only monitoring in cans or through a boom box or whatever you aren't really in a position to be offering advice. I've seen a lot of people who were happy with their b mixer until they tried something else, and then realised what it was doing to the sound. You don't see anybody going from even anything like a Mackie or Yamaha to B because they can't tell the difference, and that's because the difference is very real.
I thought, that more than 10 years of using it at home studio and live was enough to offer an advice. Of course I didn't make AB comparitions - I'm not proffesional reviewer. I heard other mixers and yes, there are differences in sound, but OP asked for advice on cheap first mixer - I think Behringer falls into this category. That's all.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:35 pm

I can vouch for the Tapco Mix120. The only bad things I noticed on it is the cumbersome external power supply (not a wall wart, but a big brick in the middle) and the absence of a On/Off switch (which I bypassed by the use of a power bar with individual switches).
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:28 pm

My first mixer was a Tapco mix120. I never even got to use it, because the person who sold it to me "forgot" to tell me he didn't have the power supply. I don't know how it is now, but at that time Mackie had discontinued Tapco and offered no support. The power supply plug is not universal, so I couldn't buy a new one. I tried to find a used one for about half a year with no luck. I would reccomend the Yamaha. I have two Yamaha MG's I'm very happy with.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Yes, always make sure the factory power supply is included with your Tapco MIX!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:07 am

salwa wrote:I thought, that more than 10 years of using it at home studio and live was enough to offer an advice. Of course I didn't make AB comparitions - I'm not proffesional reviewer. I heard other mixers and yes, there are differences in sound, but OP asked for advice on cheap first mixer - I think Behringer falls into this category. That's all.
I'll second Stab's sentiments on B**ringer. I used one for years, not one of their cheapest either, and I was happy with it -- until I compared it with a direct line to the audio interface on the same set up. It was night and day.

In my experience, the B**ringer was chopping off the higher frequencies, making mixes far muddier than they should've been. I'd actually been subconsciously compensating for this, by reducing the number of tracks in songs.

Perhaps B**ringer are much better in quality these days, but think very carefully before you buy: a mixer sits at the heart of your studio.

klickflip

Post by klickflip » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:10 pm

The yammmy MG ones are not bad for the price. I've got the 16:4 FX one. Other reasonable priced mixers I'd rate are Spirit sound craft and Mackie. I used to use the spirit folio ones for years and they are a bit cleaner and more sterile than the yammy , Yammys definitely a touch more warmer and wooly but not too bad. Bit of crosstalk especially from inbuilt effects that are ok, not great but enough to add some reverb on a synth.
Yamaha one feels more substantial.

One other budget mixer I got given recently, which will probably only use for live sets is the ALTO ZMX 122 (alesis budget brand I believe) Which has bit more noise than the Yamaha so ended up feeling better about the yamaha recently.
Think the behringers are ok, had a mate used a 20channel one for years with out any problems or complaints. The cheaper ones may be a touch noisy , as mentioned maybe get a midrange one.

Possibly better getting a older higher spec one than a new budget one. Older used ones may need a good service though to stop crackles. But check its not been gigged or had liquid damage, if someone says a couple of channels are really scratchy or dead then theres prob some beer in it!