High end preamp ideal for P8?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

High end preamp ideal for P8?

Postby varun213 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 am

Could anybody give me any advice on a really nice high end preamp that would give the P8 alot of character when recording into daw? I plan to use the DSI prophet '08 and Vermona Analog Drum machine as my two main synths for those two synths in particular what would be a good choice for a preamp max price of 1500?

thanks for any input.

EDit: I forgot that the DI is more of what I need I believe. I think DSI instruments have alot of color I just want to be able to record in without raising the master volume too high on the Synth itself. With the drum machine i really just want that extra punchiness and color for sure. Basically Iwant to bring out the best of these two synths so it sounds really balanced and nice going into my Daw. I dont think I have seen any DI's on the market that can carry two stereo signals at once can there?

Does the vermona drum machine even need a stereo input? Can I just go mono since its mainly Hi-hats/snares/kick bass and drums?

any advice?
varun213

Re: High end preamp ideal for P8?

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 am

Save your money on a pre, sell the P08 and buy a Prophet 6. Problem solved ;)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Postby philip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:52 am

I would take TAB or Telefunken V72
philip

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:20 am

You would need to have level on DSI at full to get "colour" from a pre amp. As in, overdrive it. The whole pre amp thing is greatly exaggerated though. If you've got the money for a V72, then what you really need is a VCO synth- the Prophet 6, as said above!

Or go to gearslutz and talk endless bollox about pre amps...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 am

Things that effect the character of the music you're recording:

The person playing it
The instrument
The effects you run through
The audio interface
The preamp

Have you sorted out all the things in that list that come before a preamp? If so then think about getting a preamp for your line level device. But you haven't, have you?

If you want an instrument with character, buy an instrument with the character you like. If you don't like the character of your instrument a preamp isn't going to change that, in much the same way that spending $1500 on driving gloves isn't going to make your car any faster.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:46 am

philip wrote:I would take TAB or Telefunken V72

Why would you say that? Because you have extensive experience running synths through high end mic pres, or because you read somebody else who has never laid their hands on one rhapsodising about them?
Stab Frenzy

Postby Rokk » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:53 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Save your money on a pre, sell the P08 and buy a Prophet 6. Problem solved ;)

Or while you're at it, maybe even OB-6. No matter what boutique, character, creamy sounding $$$$$$ preamp you'd run your P8 through it would never ever get close to the sound quality of either P6 or OB6. They are simply in another league. Preamp really isn't a solution here.
Rokk

Postby varun213 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Things that effect the character of the music you're recording:

The person playing it
The instrument
The effects you run through
The audio interface
The preamp

Have you sorted out all the things in that list that come before a preamp? If so then think about getting a preamp for your line level device. But you haven't, have you?

If you want an instrument with character, buy an instrument with the character you like. If you don't like the character of your instrument a preamp isn't going to change that, in much the same way that spending $1500 on driving gloves isn't going to make your car any faster.

I have the UR44 as my interface. The sound I get from the p8 is amazing but I have to record it HOT everytime for a decent level. That is the problem. I rather have the preamp/DI do the Amping rather than the synth.

I think a DI could work
varun213

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 am

What's the problem with turning up the volume knob on the synth? That's what it's for. Also are you aware that a DI makes the signal lower, not higher?
Stab Frenzy

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Agree with Stab. What do you mean by "HOT"? Is the clip light coming on? What kind of meter are you using in your DAW?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:53 am

He's probably just overdriving it to get some kind of character out of it. :?

I mean I know you can use preamps as subtle character devices, but really using one on a synth is next to pointless unless you have money to burn.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Postby smith toppleton » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Did I mistake VSE for an Apple forum?

"Can anyone recommend a good X?"
"X is dumb. Why do you want X?"
smith toppleton

Postby varun213 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:He's probably just overdriving it to get some kind of character out of it. :?

I mean I know you can use preamps as subtle character devices, but really using one on a synth is next to pointless unless you have money to burn.

a preamp is pointless? :lol: explain that if you can. Cuz that sounds pretty crazy
varun213

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 pm

A preamp is a device used to get a low level signal such as a mic, phono or instrument signal amplified up to line level so it can interface with line level devices like audio interfaces etc. the Prophet 08 outputs a line level signal already, therefore it doesn't need a preamp.

The levels of cluelessness from some people in this thread are getting out of control. I suggest you read the rules of sound production before posting here again.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Zamise » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 pm

How about boosting via another P8's inputs and outputs for a highend preamp?

-- See that P8 over there... I use it as a preamp for this P8 over here :ugeek:
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Next

Return to Sound Production