High end preamp ideal for P8?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: High end preamp ideal for P8?

Postby Mooger5 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 pm

madtheory wrote:Yay! Problem solved.

Either this or the OP was being sarcastic, I don´t really know! :lol: Upon reading the thread a seconf time, if the OP still wants to use the mic input then what´s needed is not a DI box, but a reamp box. That´ll turn a line level signal into a low voltage high impedance suited for the preamp. It seems the UR44 uses some circuitry by Yamaha that, if I´m not mistaken is DSP based to emulate some classic tones.

I recall using some cheap small mains transformers to show a point on the electro-music forum about adding colourations to the audio path. They were really meant for 230V/12V, but what counted was the ratio around 20:1. So if a signal of say 2V pp goes to the primary winding, it´ll come out at around 100 mV at the secondary. Since the trafos weren´t meant for audio purposes, there will be losses at the frequency extremes and grain, but that was the point.

Here an SH-101 was multitracked and a drumloop was added later. As the signal went through the line input, a second transformer was required and wired back to back to the first. Primary -> secondary <-> secondary <- primary so the signal reverts back to its original level, only with the expected and desired losses and saturation.

No with/without recording for comparision, but the SH-101 clean tone is already well known.

Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby varun213 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 am

pflosi wrote:If you really wanna splash some cash for color on synths, have a look at (ordered by price) Germanium diode overdrive pedals (e.g. MXR 104), the Warm Audio TB12, Overstayer stuff (M-A-S and NT-02A especially), Thermionic Culture stuff. But there's tons of options out there. What other gear do you have that might overdrive nicely? Mixers (Boss BX, Boss KM series are nice), old fx (space echos have beautiful input stages), stuff like that?

And yeah, read up on gainstaging anyways. That knowledge is more important than any high end pre. Here are two good threads to get you started:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... d311d74f72
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... a4a92eac5c

thanks. Ill check those out. For now I'm just using the P8 by DSI and the vermona DRM1 synth.

I really like space echoes Ill definitely be getting those. Stabfrenzy helped straighten things out I had a pretty crazy misconception of preamps thanks to a guy who specializes in vocals so he though it applies to synths. Which is definitely dosen't lol
varun213

Postby varun213 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:44 am

Mooger5 wrote:
varun213 wrote:I use line 1 and 2 for the Prophet '08..would you say I got in the back? does it even matter?

varun213 wrote:holy s**t thats exactly what ive been doing. Never knew the mic inputs are bad for Analog synths. If thats what you're getting at?

That´s it, inputs 1 and 2 aren ´t line inputs. I´m not saying mic inputs are bad for analog synths, it´s rather the opposite: the mic pre expects very faint signals and a line level signal will overload it, making the synth sound distorted. There´s a proper way to set things up first, only after that less orthodox aproaches should be tried.

I´m all for adding tone and character to any synth that could otherwise sound bland in some specific situation. There are equalizers, compressors, pedals, even crappy old mixers will colour the sound in some way.

Good luck.

so which is better for synths and analog drum machines? Mic inputs or Line in? Or is it preference as far the sound each method gives you?
varun213

Postby madtheory » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 am

If you want exactly the sound your synth gives you, use line in. To be honest there's so many things you can do the the sound on the synth itself, Inthjnk it would be best to play around with all of those first, to see if it gives you what you want, before playing around with colour boxes (or whatever you want to call stuff that adds harmonics).
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:04 am

Glad that we got to the bottom of this, but perhaps next time you need help be willing to listen and not just tell experienced people they're wrong because of what some misinformed berk told you. ;)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Postby madtheory » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:44 am

OP got exactly the same advice on DSI forum, only without the agro. I think his own reaction was fine. It's that some people here have a short fuse!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby varun213 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am

madtheory wrote:If you want exactly the sound your synth gives you, use line in. To be honest there's so many things you can do the the sound on the synth itself, Inthjnk it would be best to play around with all of those first, to see if it gives you what you want, before playing around with colour boxes (or whatever you want to call stuff that adds harmonics).

nah i admit it, i was really mis informed man. My mistake on this one! hope people dont hate me for this :D

cheers!
varun213

Previous

Return to Sound Production