Help needed setting up my Scarlett 6i6 / Mix Control

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Help needed setting up my Scarlett 6i6 / Mix Control

Post by Tekhed66 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi all

I am using a Scarlett 6i6 and I'm having trouble working out how to route the instruments in my band's setup correctly using Mix Control.

A bit of background:

Our bass player recently left so as a stopgap, I'm using a bass synth that is being controlled by a Live channel containing an External Instrument plugin playing a midi bass line. We also use Live as a backing "virtual band member" on some tracks to either play extra synth parts or additional drums/percussion. These extras are programmed directly in Live and don't rely on the External Instrument plugin (only the bass does).

We found that if we play the bass synth with an external instrument via Live and take the (volume) line out straight from the bass synth and into the bass amp, the bass synth and output from Live (Laptop/Live into the 6i6 and then out of the 6i6 to the mixer) is not in sync ... there's definitely latency at play.

We then found that if we plug the bass synth output back into the 6i6 and then out again in a separate 6i6 output, the hardware synth and laptop are both in sync... presumably because both inputs and outputs are affected by the same degree of latency ... I hope that makes sense so far.

What I want to do but cant work out is described in the attached diagram:

As shown, the main output from Live (L & R) is line out 1 and 2. All midi drums/perc are send to ch.3 in Live and we physically plug that channel into its own strip on the mixer. What i want to do is take the line out of the bass synth, plug it into Line Input 3 and then send it to Line Output 4 so that we can then physically plug this output into the bass amp.

The setup would then be:
Line Output 1 & 2 = Live L & R
Line Output 3 = Live drums / perc
Line Output 4 = Bass synth

I can't for the life of me work out how to setup Mix Control ... I can either hear just the bass synth and nothing else, or I hear everything (outputs 1 to 4) all coming from the bass amp.

Can someone please tell me how to setup Live and/or Mix Control correctly? MADTHEORY: I read somewhere that you also use a 6i6 ... any clues??

thanks for your help!!!!!!!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Help needed setting up my Scarlett 6i6 / Mix Control

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:37 pm

MixControl can set up multiple mixes each routed to different outputs. Create a second mix just for the bass synth.

Here is a tutorial. Read both parts 1 and 2.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:12 pm

I need to read that too :lol: Sounds like you've latency in Ableton. FWIW I was able to set the buffer low enough in Mainstage that the latency was not an issue for two vocals, bass and guitar. I didn't use Scarlett Mix Control because J needed to run guitar rig and other plugins in real time. I was pleasantly surprised that I could do this with a USB interface.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 am

Madtheory / Meatball ... thanks for the info. I've setup other mixes with Mix Control without any latency problems but this particular setup has thrown me for a loop .... I suppose it's just a case of connecting the head bone to the neck bone.

I'll read the tutorial and give it another go.

Thanks for your help/advice.

T66