Using A Single Reference Monitor as Keyboard Amp

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
MitternachtMusik
Gear: Novation Super Bass Station
Novation Drum Station
Roland XV5080
Alesis Micron
Band: Mitternacht/Torsten von Eugen

Using A Single Reference Monitor as Keyboard Amp

Post by MitternachtMusik » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi guys,

firstly, I couldn't find anything similar to this topic so, sorry if i have missed that!

My question is, I am offered a single Roland Ds-5 Monitor and wonder if i can use it as a speaker/amp for my xv-5080. I checked and saw the monitor has "l+r" assign knob, yet I am not totally sure how it would sound. I plan to use the s/pdif connection.

So, "stereo input on a single monitor", would that work?

I don't plan to use it for any mixing action.

Thanks in advance.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Using A Single Reference Monitor as Keyboard Amp

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:49 pm

I think one of two situations will occur: either you will hook it up and get either the left, or the right side but not both, or you will get the left and right side summed to mono.

Any stereo specific effects or sounds may be distorted or inaudible.

I use a single bx5 occasionally when I'm jamming on something in a different room, but I usually only have a mono source plugged into it, never a stereo source. It's pretty handy at times! I wouldn't go out of my way to get a single speaker system however. I'm just left with one since other broke!

I should also note, fwiw, even though you're not mixing with it, that it can be benafitial to hear a mix through a mono source under certian circumstances if you're evaluating the mix for certian problems. This could be a neat second use if the mood strikes.

If you do get it, you might have more luck if the vx has a mono out (sometimes the left channel).
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

MitternachtMusik
Gear: Novation Super Bass Station
Novation Drum Station
Roland XV5080
Alesis Micron
Band: Mitternacht/Torsten von Eugen

Re: Using A Single Reference Monitor as Keyboard Amp

Post by MitternachtMusik » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks a bunch for the reply! This was my main concern (that some certain stereo effects may be distorted or disappear) so it doesn't really seem like an option to buy the monitor.

The xv5080 has a mono out for sure, but i wouldn't be using it; i mostly use headphones and a speaker is an option only when i want someone to hear something.

So, it seems i got my answer already :) Thanks again :)