would a boss ce-2 (chorus pedal) work on synths?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

would a boss ce-2 (chorus pedal) work on synths?

Postby squatski » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:11 pm

has anyone tried this? I'm told it's one of the best chorus pedals! but they're made for guitar, just wondered if it would be okay on a synth.
squatski

Re: would a boss ce-2 (chorus pedal) work on synths?

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes, it will work fine. Back in the 1980s before onboard effects were common, I worked with keyboard players who did this.

If you hear any unwanted distortion, just lower the output volume of the synth.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby madtheory » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:10 pm

It's lovely on any synth. An absolute classic. Plenty of accurate software emulations out there too, so I don't really regret selling mine.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby squatski » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:01 pm

right gone and got one, was a bit expensive to what I thought I'd have to pay, I guess they're getting rare'r. Didn't get the Japan made one though I noticed they're sold for more!
I probably should have got the CE-3 instead for stereo chorus, nevermind.
Isn't it these ce-2's that are the same circuit as the legendary juno 60 chorus?
squatski

Postby pflosi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm

I've found that many guitar pedals benefit from going reamp-pedal-passive DI-mic pre for line level sources. Particularly my CE1 sounds much better like this, more defined and silky somehow. Up to three or four transformers in such a path do something subtle too, of course, besides the level and impedance matching :mrgreen:

But yes, nothing is stopping you from just lowering the volume manually on the synth to give it all a try!

Have fun :thumbleft:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby madtheory » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 pm

squatski wrote:Isn't it these ce-2's that are the same circuit as the legendary juno 60 chorus?

Could be the same BBD chip, but the CE-2 is not noisy like the Juno chorus is, so maybe there's an LPF or a compander in the pedal? Or maybe the noise in the Juno is from the other VCAs? I don't know. Plus Juno chorus has a proper stereo output. But there is definitely a Roland chorus "sound" all their boxes, even the digital ones, have this nice sheen to them. Not saying they're indentical! Just a family :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby squatski » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm

ah ok thanks for clearing that up.
Can't wait for it to come, my dx11 has no chorus so adding chorus to it I think will be great on it. I just saw there's these new waza re-issues of the ce2. I'm not sure what they're all about but looks like some mod on it or something.
squatski

Postby DocDeF4U17 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 am

a general rule is that if it doesnt sound good on guitar it wont sound that good on keys either, so stick to those pedals with good reviews etc.
If you make good music outside, animals will visit
DocDeF4U17

Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Return to Sound Production