Wavestation Hardware vs. Wavestation Software Synths

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Wavestation Hardware vs. Wavestation Software Synths

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

Because VSE topics never wander, ever.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby besikos » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 am

I've used both software and hardware and i'm telling you that the software version is just another sound. It's not worth it. The hardware always sounds more musical, real and luxurious!
DonBeats is a beat store for hip hop beats for sale, exclusive beats and rap instrumentals. http://www.donbeats.com/
besikos

Postby NotASpeckOfCereal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm

besikos wrote:I've used both software and hardware and i'm telling you that the software version is just another sound. It's not worth it. The hardware always sounds more musical, real and luxurious!

Well then, it's a good thing I still have the hardware... though the software version comes with a lot of sounds I don't have otherwise (and adds polyphony as well as a resonant filter), so I think I'll get plenty of use out of both. Of course, for those that are having a hard time finding a HW Wavestation (or can't afford it), this incredibly inexpensive SW package is definitely worth it.

Slightly OT to this WS thread but relevant to your comment in general: However, now that I have the Arturia Collection V, I think it's going to be a long time before I ever find myself with all those hardware versions (or even a small portion of the ones I like best); more likely, that will be never.

Lastly, there's always the software synthesis that is unique, not emulating any legacy hardware device.

It's good that there are still new hardware models to chose from, but there's a good reason why so many studios / working music producers are running software synths from controllers.

Speck
NotASpeckOfCereal

Gear: Roland JV80
Roland JV1080
Korg Wavestation
Claivia Nord Lead 2

Postby krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:33 am

besikos wrote:I've used both software and hardware and i'm telling you that the software version is just another sound. It's not worth it. The hardware always sounds more musical, real and luxurious!

The software does give people an option who can't afford the hardware or simply don't have the space. I've used the software in couple of songs; and even if it doesn't sound just like the hardware, it still fit into my mix nicely and sounded good.
I bought the Korg Legacy Collection because I don't have space for MonoPoly, Polysix, MS20, M1, and Wavestation.
It's the same reason I bought the Arturia V Collection (also I couldn't afford all of these anyway!).
I guess as long as you make something that sounds good the average listener isn't going to know the difference anyway. I have yet to find a casual listener tell exactly what synth they are hearing. However, I did fool a friend, who own an original minimoog, into thinking the Arturia version was the real thing.
I guess it really depends how you like to work too.
I personally would prefer the hardware versions myself too....if I had the space.
I like it more for the hands on control and feel though.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Where the Embers Fall

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts