Reface CS vs Minilogue, or another cheap Poly as Microkorg XL replacement?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Roseweave

Reface CS vs Minilogue, or another cheap Poly as Microkorg XL replacement?

Post by Roseweave » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:50 pm

I'm looking for a more versatile companion to my Arturia Microfreak at the moment. The Microfreak has made me realise I really need direct access to knob-per-sound set ups to be able to get into a sound, however it's also quite limited with it's 3 knobs per oscillator. Thus it can limited when it comes to certain sounds - once you find one or two really good analogue basses that's sort of it. Having a variety of warm vintage bass, leads and polysynth sounds can be difficult, and while the mod matrix is great the lack of oscillator settings means that a lot of the typical crazier analogue synth sounds are out of reach.

The Reface CS has a sound I'm absolutely in love with, and can do some of the crazier sounds on the Ring Mod section. However, it lacks Velocity which is a shame as it's such a "Players" set, and presets unless it's hooked up to something. It looks like it could be a really nice controller too.

The Minilogue has pretty much all the features I'd want from an analogue paraphonic synth(save for maybe in built distortion). However it isn't necessarily the best for warm vintage scifi Moogy or CS80 type tones, and has the resonance issue. it's also a little larger and maybe not as fun as a portable controoler.

The XD has really nice effects but it doesn't have much of a unique sound, and is obviously costlier. It also lacks of the 24db mode which for me provides the better sounds on the original.

I've watched a lot of demos and can't decide. I've also checked out the DeepMind which also lacks that sort of unique flare, and the Behringer semimodulars(though none are 4+ voice), and not found anything that's grabbed me.

I'm leaning more towards the CS overall but seeing some of the cool more advanced almost modular type sounds the Minilogue can do is really interesting.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Reface CS vs Minilogue, or another cheap Poly as Microkorg XL replacement?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am

Roseweave wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:50 pm
seeing some of the cool more advanced almost modular type sounds the Minilogue can do is really interesting.
I would never say "almost modular" about the Minilogue, I've owned one and I've owned a few modular rigs.

You should look into DSI/Sequential polysynths. On a budget there's the discontinued Mopho X4 and Prophet 08 and for more money the current Prophet Rev2. The mod matrix and large number of modulation sources (3 EGs, 4 LFOs, 16x4 step sequencer) make them worthy of being called "almost modular".
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Roseweave

Post by Roseweave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:30 pm

my budget is like under 400 quid

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Do you have another keyboard? Have you looked at a used Novation Nova?

Roseweave

Post by Roseweave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I have a Microfreak. I'm selling the Microkorg XL.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:09 pm

i was asking because the Nova is only a module, and has no keys.