Prophet Rev 2 vs...?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
iantrader

Prophet Rev 2 vs...?

Post by iantrader » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi Everyone

This is open-ended because I am visually impaired and I'm after a synth which is easy to use hands on. I can see the controls but not the legend so LCD displays and menu diving are out.

I'm considering the Rev 2. I know it has an LCD but the helpful folks at Sequential gave me a list of the functions you need the LCD to access. Most are setups and I reckon I can access most of the synth ok, with a little help for some features now and again.

Wondering if anyone can suggest any accessible alternatives.

I like the bi-timbrality (is that a word?) as will be playing via sequencers.

Music types - electronica. ambient, EDM.

I have a Moog Grandmother, DFAM and Korg Wavestate (still working on that :D ) and am putting together a modular system. I think a poly like the Rev 2 would be a good fit but don't want to overlook any possible alternatives.

Ian

ryankm
Gear: Fender Chroma Polaris
Arturia MiniBrute
Guitars & bass

Re: Prophet Rev 2 vs...?

Post by ryankm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:46 am

Roland Super JX was a good one, but you have to get the optional PG 800 programmer.

Right now I am having problems with mine<Prophet Rev2>, but it is 22 watts so it is a small power supply and relays power to achieve volume and mines just died in the studio[wont make sound]...

There was a mysterious toxic radiation I have been dealing with and I think it was messing with the fine circuitry of Prophet Rev2.

*** The Prophet REV 2 is functioning again.

I would say as far functionality goes the on hands controls of what you get are phenomenal with the Prophet Rev2... As far as hidden away controls those are things that are I would consider as being extras that don't come on standard synthesizers anyway.

If you want something that is just playable my Fender Chroma Polaris is extremely good for this. I never save the patches.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/d ... 71497.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Chroma- ... 3168852232
Last edited by ryankm on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Prophet Rev 2 vs...?

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 pm

Udo Super 6 has no display: it doesn't need one. Worth considering I think!