Korg 800DV vs Octave Cat SRM

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg 800DV vs Octave Cat SRM

Postby monolith » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm thinking about buying a fun vintage synth and its come down to the 800DV and Octave Cat SRM. I'm in to more weird but musical/useful sounds, and I think they both can deliver. I'm leaning more towards the 800dv at this stage but am curious as to what some other people think.

Here's my thoughts on the pros of each synth for me:

Korg 800dv:
  • ring mod sounds really good for odd but musical sounds
  • the alternate triggering modes seem great for coming up with cool rhythms and sounds to sample
  • Truly duophonic!

Octave Cat:
  • cross mod
  • Self oscillating filter
  • better interface
  • takes up less space.

What say you?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg 800DV vs Octave Cat SRM

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 am

There's really very little overlap.
The 800dv sounds way more unwieldy and nasty.
The Cat sounds really big, and 70s futuristic.

The Cat is much more conventional in terms of layout and editing. No doubt it's capable of way more sound FX than the 800dv. It's way more useful in a studio in regards to CV/Gate and inputs. I look at it like a much heavier sounding Odyssey.

With the 800dv you sort of throw knowledge to the wind and just mess with stuff, and land on strange patches. It doesn't even have an LFO to filter, so you have to really go at it from different angles. I.e. have one layer triggered so it fires the filter ENV, so you sort of have a shapable LFO on that layer, while the other is not triggered. I really couldn't grasp exactly what it was capable of until I finally bought one.

Although not recorded DI, here's a demo of me just messing around with my 800dv.
Watch on youtube.com
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | KarpOdyssey | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Volca | Es1 | Er1 | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Return to Synth Shootouts