Access Virus TI or Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Access Virus TI or Prophet '08

Postby OriginalJambo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Huppo wrote:I think your posting in this thread has more to do with passively picking a fight than trying to be helpful and informative.

No, I think it's more to do with the fact that some may be putting down analogue synths as not capable of harsh "digital" or evolving sounds. As I said it's not that straightforward.

Okay if you are talking about realistic pianos, brass and strings then an analogue synth is never gonna give you what you want, but in this specific situation unless the Virus has high quality samples on-board (Trition/Motif/Fantom quality) it's probably not going to fit the bill either.

As an example tell me, does this SOUND analogue or digital?

Oh yes you could argue that since it's from an analogue synth it can't be completely digital, but I'll bet if you asked anyone in the know what kind of synthesis was employed for the tone in that recording they'd answer "FM", which is commonly seen as only possible the with extreme stability of digital oscillators. Do you know of any analogue FM synths akin the DX7?

What I'm ultimately trying to say is that analogue synths are still very capable machines and looking at the modulation matrix on the Prophet 08 it's certainly no slouch. It can also be as stable as you want with the oscillator slop parameter, which is handy for making making the sound more sterile.

Yes it's still no Virus but please don't discount it as only being able to nail the vanilla tones that the lowly Polysix or Juno are capable of, which seems to be the general consensus in this thread.

A Microwave XT, a FIZMO, a V-synth, etc, can all make vast oceans of sound you couldn't recreate with a P'08 no matter how hard you tried or for how long or with whose knowledge and imagination.

This is true but if you read the original post again and you'll see that he OP seems to be looking for an analogue synth (Pro-53 anyone?) that he won't get bored of. If he'd specifically asked for wavetable/vector synth then the Prophet 08 wouldn't even be worth a look.

On that note here's a webpage with some terrific Prophet 08 MP3 demos:

http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI-Evolver/Prophet08/prophet08.html. The P'08M demo in particular shows off the strange evoling sounds the Prophet 08 can pull of with aplomb.

Don't discount it completely yet. ;)
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby Huppo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:32 pm

OriginalJambo wrote: I'll bet if you asked anyone in the know

The OP is not 'in the know.'

OriginalJambo wrote:Yes it's still no Virus but please don't discount it as only being able to nail the vanilla tones that the lowly Polysix or Juno are capable of, which seems to be the general consensus in this thread.

It's a nice synth and I'm not discounting it. It can't do any of what a lot of digital synths do and that is my WHOLE POINT. Why do you feel the need to complicate that?

OriginalJambo wrote: If he'd specifically asked for wavetable/vector synth then the Prophet 08 wouldn't even be worth a look.

He apparently has no idea what a wavetable/vector synth is so how the h**l is he going to ask for one? Or not?

OriginalJambo wrote: Don't discount it completely yet. ;)

Certainly he should consider it, though I'd argue he should start with something less expensive at this point in his understanding. I am trying to help someone with a very basic knowledge understand some very basic things, not confuse them with lots of minor, specific exceptions to general truths. Maybe your info is helpful to the perrson, I dunno.

I think I'll probably just crawl back under my rock instead of having to deal with you arguing with everything I post.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby OriginalJambo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:44 pm

Huppo wrote:Certainly he should consider it, though I'd argue he should start with something less expensive at this point in his understanding.

A very good point. It's just a shame that the only analogue boards are way under the RRP of the Prophet 08 are likely to be vintage and therefore not quite as easy to recommend to a newbie.

VAs are obviously worth a good look too although if the OP isn't impressed with Pro-53 (a respectable softsynth from a respectable company) then it might not be enough to satisfy him.

I am trying to help someone with a very basic knowledge understand some very basic things, not confuse them with lots of minor, specific exceptions to general truths.

Of course, although when the OP is considering spending the amount of money he is on a synth to begin with I'm sure he wants to make damn well sure he grabs the board that'll suit him the best in the long run.

Maybe it's a better idea to first grab a cheaper board to get a feel for all the different types of synthesis and then move on up (as you suggest), but if the OP is convinced it's either Virus or Prophet 08 period, then he should know try to learn as much about them as humanly possible so he doesn't make a grave mistake. Unlike older gear you might not be able to sell them for what you paid so it's best to get it right the first time if you know what I mean.

I think I'll probably just crawl back under my rock instead of having to deal with you arguing with everything I post.

Oh come now, don't be so dramatic. :P

I'm just trying to help the OP by showing him that there's plenty of scope in analogue synths - he might not even need a digital ever or at least for a while if he digs deep with a good analogue synth. Ultimately it depends on what sort of music/applications he has in mind for the synth and what one is better suited to this.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Jack Spider » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Knock it off, Jambo - your original post was pedantic at best. None of this is helping the original poster.

Leave Huppo alone - I've noticed you seem to pick arguments with his postings more than other members! You've been warned about this in the past.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Postby OriginalJambo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Jack Spider wrote:Knock it off, Jambo - your original post was pedantic at best. None of this is helping the original poster.

Leave Huppo alone - I've noticed you seem to pick arguments with his postings more than other members! You've been warned about this in the past.

Fine, fine - I'll do as you ask.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby shaft9000 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:38 pm

OJ - I'm trying to give you a hint 'cause your a fellow and are sometimes helpful, unlike me ...i'm just a total twitwad.

anyhow, the lil' hint is:
GO GET SOME HOT SEX, ALREADY, eh?
Please understand I'm not here to get personal, and it is periodically entertaining to see you and the Huppo banter back and forth(although hardly entertaining for him, but we all know he secretly loves it :wink: ), but the constant interjection is a sign of a real need to get one's shag on.
So.....why don't ya go mine the Harbor.
Snack some Carpet. Blow some cheese on a willing bird and smoke a stogey.

Discover the inner Peter North in you. (i'm trying on my best Tony-Robbins-ninja s**t here, so cut me some slack gents]

C'mon OJ, live a little! Your avatar's a goddamned p***y for chrissake.
This VSE stuff is mostly diminishing gains from here out, my friend. Live a little, just don't hurt yourself, to quote one from Steve Vai of all people, heh.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Postby alexsumner1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Is it me, or has this simple question turned into a massive argument!? Aaahh! #-o

I feel dead guilty now...

Anyways, I am gonna do some research on the different types of synthesis, and i should make up my mind by the time its christmas, ill also shop around, see if i can try some out. Ive tried pro-53 from native instruments, and it seems to do what i want it too, but i just need to learn how to program it, im just not too keen on softsynths though.

I will also have a look for a MOSS board for the time being =]

Sorry i've not been on for a while, i got addicted to World of Warcraft. (Sad, i know)

Thankyou for the help everyone! :P

See ya!
alexsumner1

Postby Huppo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:39 pm

alexsumner1 wrote:Is it me, or has this simple question turned into a massive argument!? Aaahh! #-o

Welcome to VSE! =D>

Sometimes you have to sift through the bickering to extract the useful info, but there is plenty of it here. Please don't hesitate to ask again if you have more questions or want something clarified.

Final tidbit: don't get too carried away worrying about which exact method is being used to synthesize the sound. It's the sound itself that matters and the interface used to manipulate the sound must be agreeable, as well. Both the synths you mention have very accessible interfaces, but a great many fine synths do not.

Best of luck in your quest. Let us know how it turns out.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby philbar » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:34 am

Alex, I am biased because whilst i've played both, my music actually depends on the virus.

it simply is the best bread and butter synth money can buy, its flexible, its powerful, it can create sounds the prophet-08 can only dream of.

the key action is also better on the 5 octave keyboard. its a truly great synth and when the latest officiall software release comes out, the atomiser ( a glitch effect) for processing sounds will be excellent (its available on public beta now).....

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live
philbar

Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Postby steveman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Alex, there used to be a shop called Sound Control here in the UK that was pretty good for demo-ing stuff. However, they went bust recently. The good news is that a number of the stores are still open, as there were a couple of buy-outs - some locations went to Professional Music Technology (http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/) and others have (or will) become Reverb.

I have used, and can recommend, Dolphin (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/) - either check out the shop (though I've not visited their Liverpool branch) or give them a ring - even if something's not listed as being in stock on their website, they can often get it in. Delivery is overnight, so you can have stuff before you lose too much sleep 8)

Also, DV247.com are the cheapest I've seen in the UK for DSI gear. Never used them though.

Hope that helps.

DSI no longer has a UK distributor. This doesn't mean you can't buy them, it just means it'll be very hard to find one to demo. According to a guy I spoke to in DV's Clapham branch DSI prefer to sell direct to retailers rather than via distributors, so they don't get demo models. If they want to have a demo model, they have to buy it at the same cost as any other. He said he wanted to set up a proper synth demo section (ie. DSI, Moog and other boutique companies) at the store but his management said the cost couldn't be justified.

If anyone knows where I can demo a P8 let me know...
steveman

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts