The Korg MS-20 vs. The Yamaha CS-15

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: The Korg MS-20 vs. The Yamaha CS-15

Postby spookyman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
spookyman wrote:I also had the MS-20, but sold it. And kept the CS-15 ! I prefer by far the keyboard on the CS-15, than the ultra noisy MS Keyboard. And i also sold the MS-20 to save cash for a real modular...

I sold my original MS-20 and MS-50 to buy a dot com!

:D Yeah...very good choice ! I will do the same...a dotcom portable 22 or something so, for beginin'. It's allways possible to expand it later.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:19 pm

spookyman wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
spookyman wrote:I also had the MS-20, but sold it. And kept the CS-15 ! I prefer by far the keyboard on the CS-15, than the ultra noisy MS Keyboard. And i also sold the MS-20 to save cash for a real modular...

I sold my original MS-20 and MS-50 to buy a dot com!

:D Yeah...very good choice ! I will do the same...a dotcom portable 22 or something so, for beginin'. It's allways possible to expand it later.

I sold said dot com to buy the ARP 2600. Not a move that everyone would necessarily understand or appreciate, but it was the best for me. I don't regret it even a tiny bit.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby RobotHeroes » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:33 am

xpander wrote:i'm just going to watch this space for RobotHeroes to chime in with some hate about the length of this novel.

I guess I am late for the party. Another of AG's excerpts from his "Lord of the Synths" trilogy? I think that part was out of "Fellowship of the Filter". No hate for AG ever though since he is cool. :thumbright:

But on a serious note AG is awesome and writes all his posts by hand with pen and ink to proofread before typing and publishing to the board. You have to admire such dedication. I actually read that whole post. It took 6 days to read all that, which is why I am so late, but I did it and I just got a certificate of completion and a free ipod.

After crossing the desert that that post was I've sort of developed a curiosity for the CS-15. Some parts didn't seem neutral but I doubt it was supposed to be. I will always enjoy my MS-20 and the way it sounds. Even more so looking at today's high prices. *looks for CS-15 videos*

Oh and...

hail to the king baby. :thumbleft:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:But on a serious note AG is awesome and writes all his posts by hand with pen and ink to proofread before typing and publishing to the board. You have to admire such dedication. I actually read that whole post. It took 6 days to read all that, which is why I am so late, but I did it and I just got a certificate of completion and a free ipod.

I have hurt myself laughing. At myself. :)

RobotHeroes wrote:After crossing the desert that that post was I've sort of developed a curiosity for the CS-15. Some parts didn't seem neutral but I doubt it was supposed to be. I will always enjoy my MS-20 and the way it sounds. Even more so looking at today's high prices. *looks for CS-15 videos*

Well, I would hope that a certain neutrality came through in the functional comparison.
Admittedly, I favor the CS-15 over the MS-20, and that favor is pretty obvious. I promise you, though, that that favor isn't born of some arbitrary perspective, but rather simply that one seems more powerful and useable in so many ways.
The bias comes in regarding functionality which I don't often use, like the ESP. Although I did state that it was an incredible feature without match!
Everyone knows I focus on analog performance synthesizers more than I do processing devices, MIDI-capable things, etc. So, there is definitely that bias in there, too.
Here is a good couple of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PEAKNtbVw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYngpi8gu0&feature=related

RobotHeroes wrote:Oh and...

hail to the king baby. :thumbleft:

He should get out the chain gun and aim it at the MS. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Postby Bitexion » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:39 am

Even Duke Nukem has nightmares about the MS-20 patch panel. Even Duke.

Full modular isn't the same as a semi-modular, I've realized that as I started building my own Analogue Systems.
I mean, mine has now the same abilities as an ARP2600 (or minimoog for that instance). Same number of modules and same types (plus some more naturally). But still, the amount of patching that is required to make a simple 3VCO sound with some modulation is baffling, compared to just pushing the pots into the VCF and pushing a couple more pots to add the modulations.

You first have to give the 3 VCO's a pitch CV. In my case an Octave Controller, 1 cable.
From OC to each VCO's pitch input, 3 more cables. Saw output on each VCO to mixer inputs. 3 cables.
Mixer out to filter input, 1 cable. Filter lowpass out to VCA in, 1 cable.

Now that's 9 cables just for that most basic sound. The you add in EG's, with a cable from EG out to the module you want controlled (like the filter cutoff), and to avoid clicks you should activate the VCA with an EG aswell. Now we're up to 11 cables. LFO modulation, whopps one more cable. And so on.

I'd think that I'd spend all day replicating Minimoog sounds once I got my modular up to 3 VCO's, 2EG's and a LP-filter. But really I don't. The mini is the mini because it is so super easy to use, and super fast to learn.
A modular is something you spend weeks and months getting your head around. Mine has been switched off for weeks at a time too. I simply didn't wanna bother with all the cables for a while. Many of those sickest modular effect sounds are created by sheer accident (or frustration, just turning some knobs at random). Same with the weirdest sounds from an ARP 2600.

And Alesis Andromeda. I created the sickest modulation madness effect once when I left the synth on while cleaning around the knobs. And whoopee, psycho sounds as everything was randomized.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm

so a cs15 is next on my list after reading this post.

wooh
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby sentientprogram » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:52 am

How are the envelopes on the CS-15? I've heard the CS-10's are better, but I want to know if they are snappy enough for ya AG?
sentientprogram

Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Postby piRoN » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:22 am

I'm personally convinced the whole "slow envelopes" myth is derived from people not noticing the "x5" switch on the envs. They go all the way down to a high-pitch click - not too sure what you'd want them any faster for.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 pm

piRoN wrote:I'm personally convinced the whole "slow envelopes" myth is derived from people not noticing the "x5" switch on the envs. They go all the way down to a high-pitch click - not too sure what you'd want them any faster for.

I'm with you!
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby seamonkey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 pm

xpander wrote:speaking of which, you can look forward to my Old School Minimoog vs Minimoog Old School youtube pretty soon, it will be bee's knees.
ahem, deadliest topic indeed...

Too late it's already been covered in last month's Keyboard magazine's review of the old school, oh wait the conclusion was there wasn't any sonic difference between OS and Voyager but the Model D still won, but it would still be fun to see your YouTube comparison..btw do Bee's really have knees? :lol:

Btw AG I have to admit I prefer your synthesizer analysis in YouTube format much more, my ADD allows me only two long paragraphs before I have to bail. :wink:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby iProg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
xpander wrote:
filtermod wrote:I guess you'll just have to deal with it.

bah, it's just another versus thread.

That was rude.
If you found the comparison (which I'm sure you didn't read) in error or lacking content, feel free to address the issue. Otherwise, see if you can keep from proving that mockery is the simplest and least impressive form of humor.

I like you AG. Your post was long but very objective and informative!

I just bought one of the synths compared. Guess which? ;)
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 pm

I wondered what happened to this thread. Now I've cluttered another thread with my giant textification.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby pflosi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:02 am

:lol:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby jcn7 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey AG, I just got a pristine CS-15 yesterday...It looks like it's brand new aside from 1 small scuff, and it came in it's own Yamaha case that also looks practically brand new. Any way to the point...I was wondering if i could feed an external LFO from my Ring mod (Moogerfooger), to the trigger input of either EG1 or EG2, and use the LFO to trigger the adsr's? Basically I'd like to have a kind of repeating adsr. Would this work? Also, does the trigger out use the keyboard as the trigger, or the adsr's as triggers? By the way thanks for this thread...I was wanting a Korg MS20, but looking at the prices of them as well as various other old mono synths, I felt the Yamaha CS15 had a lot of "bang for the buck" features (this was before I saw this thread, and I'm glad I to hear your assessments between these two), although I must also say that there was a CS-30 that I was very tempted to get, but also double the price. Anyway, if you or someone else can help me on this, that would be great! Thanks again. Jaime
jcn7

Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Postby nadafarms » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm

another victim...
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts