Roland V-SYNTH vs Korg MS2000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
thinkingbeat
Gear: Korg Polysix, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland JP-8000, Korg Prophecy, Waldorf Nave

Roland V-SYNTH vs Korg MS2000

Post by thinkingbeat » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 pm

If you were starting out, and had the option to buy one (and only) of these synths, which would you choose?

V-SYNTH $550
MS2000 $500

And why? :?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Re: Roland V-SYNTH vs Korg MS2000

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:42 pm

At that price? Man, what's the world coming to?

P.s. The V-Synth hands down.

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:45 pm

thinkingbeat wrote:If you were starting out, and had the option to buy one (and only) of these synths, which would you choose?

V-SYNTH $550
MS2000 $500

v-synth for 550? wtf? buy it, buy it now!

there is no comparison. these two synths arn't even in the same league as far as im concerned.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:00 pm

:lol:

Definitely the V-Synth. Or let me buy it instead for that price. Also, I feel this will be closed or moved to Buyer's Guide soon.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 pm

That's a GREAT price on the V-Synth ...

And it's a MUCH better board in just about every way than MS2K (which I had for less than a year and traded for something else ... )

The only thing I'll say about MS2K is that is has more dedicated knobs for editing traditional VA parameters than V-Synth, which has more of a sampling of key params ... It's probably the one area I'm not as keen on ... but the V-Synth has so much going on otherwise, it's very easy to forgive ...

However, MS2K always sounded horrible to me when editing params on the fly ... Too steppy, WAAAY too digital ... V-Synth is in the same realm — it's NOT analog obviously — but much more musical to my ears when editing ...

Overall, though, the sound for me, is way beyond MS2K, which is fairly brittle, harsh and doesn't sit well in a studio mix, IMO ... I just didn't like it at all ...

The interesting thing about V-Synth — besides all the cool controllers like X-Y pad and TWIN D-Beams and everything is highly customizable regarding routings to these controllers — is that you can have the standard VA sounds, highly unique and "experimental" F/X sounds, or quite realistic acoustic type sounds like choirs, guitars and the like ... there are also two very different soundsets available ...

That V-Synth is worth twice as much ... It's VERY well-made and has top-notch sound ... Remember this synth listed for well into 2K when it was released in 2003 and its built that way, too ... Also, it's really not that different from $2,500 V-Synth GT ... some say they like the original's control surface better ...

The COSM effects are also outstanding ... and keep in mind they are polyphonic for each note instead of the entire signal ... highly unique and no doubt is part of the reason it sounds great ...

Also, the V-Synth has real polyphony ... not the sad 4 notes of MS2K ... which was actually one of the biggest reasons I got rid of it ... I can exhaust that with one hand ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 am

Diametro wrote:That's a GREAT price on the V-Synth ...

And it's a MUCH better board in just about every way than MS2K (which I had for less than a year and traded for something else ... )

The only thing I'll say about MS2K is that is has more dedicated knobs for editing traditional VA parameters than V-Synth, which has more of a sampling of key params ... It's probably the one area I'm not as keen on ... but the V-Synth has so much going on otherwise, it's very easy to forgive ...

However, MS2K always sounded horrible to me when editing params on the fly ... Too steppy, WAAAY too digital ... V-Synth is in the same realm — it's NOT analog obviously — but much more musical to my ears when editing ...

Overall, though, the sound for me, is way beyond MS2K, which is fairly brittle, harsh and doesn't sit well in a studio mix, IMO ... I just didn't like it at all ...

The interesting thing about V-Synth — besides all the cool controllers like X-Y pad and TWIN D-Beams and everything is highly customizable regarding routings to these controllers — is that you can have the standard VA sounds, highly unique and "experimental" F/X sounds, or quite realistic acoustic type sounds like choirs, guitars and the like ... there are also two very different soundsets available ...

That V-Synth is worth twice as much ... It's VERY well-made and has top-notch sound ... Remember this synth listed for well into 2K when it was released in 2003 and its built that way, too ... Also, it's really not that different from $2,500 V-Synth GT ... some say they like the original's control surface better ...

The COSM effects are also outstanding ... and keep in mind they are polyphonic for each note instead of the entire signal ... highly unique and no doubt is part of the reason it sounds great ...

Also, the V-Synth has real polyphony ... not the sad 4 notes of MS2K ... which was actually one of the biggest reasons I got rid of it ... I can exhaust that with one hand ...
gotta agree with everything here....especially the build quality. this thing was not built on the cheap, it is well crafted, very solid. i've gigged with it without any hesitation.

it also has the softest, nicest feeling knobs of all my gear. :lol:

and the large touch screen is a definite plus.

i really dont know why the vsynth hasnt held a solid price, everyone who has one loves it.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 am

thinkingbeat wrote:If you were starting out, and had the option to buy one (and only) of these synths, which would you choose?

V-SYNTH $550
MS2000 $500

Buy the MS, and then tell me where the seller is for the V-Synth....I need to talk to that guy. :wink:

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 am

Diametro wrote: Also, it's really not that different from $2,500 V-Synth GT ... some say they like the original's control surface better ...
The GT is essentially to the V-Synth as the Oberhiem Matrix 12 was to the Xpander.
well....that...but then with an additional synthesis method slapped on (AP).

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:54 am

A reminder that 'vs' threads should be posted in the 'Buyer's Guide'.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

thinkingbeat
Gear: Korg Polysix, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland JP-8000, Korg Prophecy, Waldorf Nave

Post by thinkingbeat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:32 am

Jack Spider wrote:A reminder that 'vs' threads should be posted in the 'Buyer's Guide'.
Sorry about that. I will keep in mind for next time!
--Scott

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 am

Does this include threads about the Prophet VS? :lol:
You can't synthesize love

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:
Does this include threads about the Prophet VS? :lol:
Only if you put another synth name next to it! :lol:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Mateusz
Gear: Roland KR-500

Post by Mateusz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 pm

Get this V Synth ASAP

I played on V Synth GT and it is just a beast

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 am

Ok, I have both

MS-2000 (mk1 'blue') since 2002
V-Synth w/ D-50 card since 2 weeks ago :!:

You say you're starting out - any idea where you want to go? Do you want to dive in and just tweak what's there, or are you committed to learning the whole programming side from scratch?
Do you not give a damn about any of that - and just want to have fun screwing around ?
All are valid approaches...It all depends what you're trying to do.

MS is a joy to play and program. I suggest you try the MS2000 and see how you like it. You can find one for much less than 500 USD also!
Ok, they are a notch below the V in build quality, but for freaky synth modulations a la 70's analogs the MS is a good bit more authentic actually. It's a grainy, buzzier raw sound most of the time. The MS has a spacy delay and rich sounding chorus and phaser that smooth it out a lot.
Typically the V is much smoother sound, higher-fi yet sounds more synthetic and computerized, the MS still more organic . After two weeks with it seems the V doesn't do pre-1983 sounds at all. wheras the MS can emulate a theremin to a startling degree, for example.
The learning curve could be rather long on the V...but Vsynth is a special animal, a unique axe. not a beginner's board, i'm afraid. i don't want to discourage you but it IS a complex beasty, with a lot of 'lingo' that doesn't necessarily translate to other synths, or even any other Roland synths.
MS was easy to get my head around.

Personally, I could have bought a V-Synth several years ago for around 1100 but bought a Supernova2 instead. Only recently picked up the V, and it's pretty nice so far. At times gets a silky sound that can rip somewhat, although the EGs & LFos are rather tame... and the osc pitch modulation of the JP engine leaves something to be desired (at extremes it 'clinks' like a 90's digital synth)....but the interface is not conducive for novices to hone their chops with, so to speak.
And here's the deal w/ the V-Synth: the VA's just in there for bread&butter if you want it.
The STARs of the show are Variphrase(duh) and COSM - it's SAMPLER FREAK-A-THON.
COSM has all the crazy filters and fx to play with...but to get the results you're after it helps to have the lingo under your belt, because most everything on the V-Synth is abbreviated and only programmable using the touch screen.

</ramble>
Last edited by shaft9000 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:55 am

While the V-Synth is a remarkably deep synth with tons of possibilities via the sample mangling engine, you can just sit down and play that thing ... sometimes just with the Time Trip Pad and D-Beams and HAVE A BLAST ...

It doesn't get much easier than that ...

If you are trying to learn synthesis, however, the V-Synth is not necessarily the best board ... it was part of the reason I bought a Juno-106, and when that crapped out, a Jupiter-6 ... which I've found a fairly complex board despite the total lack of menus or ANY display ...

On the other hand, programming the V-Synth with its touchscreen doesn't blow ... far from it ... but it's just not the same as physical sliders ... which, thankfully, it has for the ADSR controls ...

SLIDERS RULE !!!
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/