Sequential Circuits Six Trak vs. Multi Trak

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
funk5

Sequential Circuits Six Trak vs. Multi Trak

Post by funk5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 am

The post on the Multi Trak got me to thinking about it and thought it deserved a different thread.

To people the either own both or have tried both, how do the Six Trak and Multi Trak compare sound wise?

-They both have the 3394 chips, but I've heard they are implemented a little different and the overall circuit design is different so that will lead a different sound.

Though most of the specs are pretty much the same, there are some improvements on the Multi:
On the Multi You get some extra features like a velocity sensitive keyboard, a pulse wave, six separate outs beside the main stereo out (though I've heard the signal to noise ration is questionable), 1600 note 4 track sequencer with quantize (vs 800 note 2 track non quantize on the Six), a split point and an extra octave. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff here.

Even though the Multi came out after the Six Trak, I've heard that the midi implementation on the Multi isn't what it should be meaning there isn't a midi cc for everything like there is on the Six, can anyone confirm?

It seems more people prefer the sound of the Six Trak to the Multi Trak and I'm curious as to your thoughts either way. Discuss.

synthesizerist

Re: Sequential Circuits Six Trak vs. Multi Trak

Post by synthesizerist » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm

I have both, but the Multitrak has never worked right, so I can't say which is better sounding. And I just read yet another instance of the Multitrak having issues on another thread. In contrast, my sixtrak is one synth I NEVER worry about breaking down- the thing is a tank! Mine even has a 3" hunk of the wood side knocked off from whoknowswhat inflicted on it from a previous owner and it still never has given me one problem. So, for reliability reasons only, I'd side with the sixtrak...

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:48 pm

There is no CC control on the Multi worth mentioning. Sixtrack has a CEM3372 for the VCF/VCA also

funk5

Post by funk5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Yeah, there seems to be more complaints about reliability on the Multi.

replicalex
Gear: SCI Pro One / Korg MonoPoly / Yamaha CS15 / TX802 / Roland: Sh101 / SH2 / Jupiter 6 / Juno 1 / AS: Semblance / MiniBrute / DRM1 mk2 / Jomox xBase09

Post by replicalex » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:56 pm

I just got my multitrak fixed up and it sounds really good to me.
I've never tried a sixtrak so cant do a straight up comparison.
In unison mode it is huge! 8) and the ability to have it as a 6VCO mono or stack the voices in different configs
is cool, plus the sequencer can say, play 4 different lines using 4 different voices, leaving 2 on top to play with.
That versitility is cool. Especially when synced to midi clock.
I like its sound which I'm told is the same/v.close to a sixtrak (by my tech guy) and they have pretty much the same
reliability issues according to him.
All in all I think its a keeper. I know some poeple dont like it, but hey, we all have different tastes thank god :wink: