Differences between Alesis Ion and Micron?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
stropko

Differences between Alesis Ion and Micron?

Post by stropko » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:36 am

Besides the size, of course. How easy is the Micron to program/edit vs. the Ion? I'm a bit new at using synthesizers in general...do you think there is much of a difference? I would like it to be fairly easy to program and edit, despite the fact that I imagine I'll only be doing pretty basic things with it...I'm using it for old 70's songs, as well as writing new stuff...but no crazy techno. Thanks!

-Stropko

redchapterjubilee

Re: Differences between Alesis Ion and Micron?

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm

The Micron isn't that hard to program if you are use to alpha wheel editing. The Ion is mostly knob per function and you have a graphic display for what you are editing (real handy with the envelopes). These days you can be a used Ion for the same price as a new Micron. If you can handle the extra size in your studio and you don't really want sequencing and beats and such (just a straight virtual analog) then go for the Ion. I've owned both and enjoyed the Ion much more. Of course, I'm selling my Ion now so go figure.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

stropko

Post by stropko » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks a lot! Should I assume this is yours then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-Ion-virtual- ... 1|294%3A50

I'd totally buy it if I had the money now, but I'm just getting my planning done in advance--I've still got to earn the money :p.

-Stropko

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Blimey, the price of Microns has gone up in the UK, and not by a little either!

I didn't really get along with the sound of it when I had one, it seemed kind of grainy, ill-defined and lifeless. But the damn thing records really well for some reason, maybe because of it's graininess. Now I listen back to any stuff I did with it and I think about getting another one. The sequencer is pretty good too, as is the arp. I also enjoyed routing different parts through the vocoder internally. Surprisingly decent little beast.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 pm

stropko wrote:Thanks a lot! Should I assume this is yours then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-Ion-virtual- ... 1|294%3A50
That is indeed the one I'm selling. I love that synth but...have you ever looked around your studio after having been on a six-month acquiring spree and realized you had a lot more gear than you really needed? That happened to me the other night as I was contemplating another tour this summer and also the missus is making noise about me moving our piano into the studio so I need to make more room. Sigh. If only Alesis had stuffed the Ion/Micron into a desktop or rackmount unit.

stropko

Post by stropko » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm afraid I haven't seeing as the only gear I have is an Alesis QS 6.1 and an old Clavinova...oh, and the fact that I'm 16. Other than that, however, I know exactly where you're coming from!

Why don't you buy a Micron though? I've heard that thing is tiny...

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 pm

stropko wrote:Why don't you buy a Micron though? I've heard that thing is tiny...
I have owned a Micron. They are fine synths and certainly tiny. Basically I'm selling off two synths and MIDI controller and buying one synth. Downsizing. Between the Matrix-1000, Alpha Juno, Vintage Keys & VSTi's I'm good for polyphonics; between the Little Phatty and Microcon I'll be good for monophonics. As strong as the Micron/Ion engine is I'm basically going back towards real analog.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:00 pm

the size of the Micron can be a bit of a pain. limited keys can make you feel a bit cramped after a while. the micron also feels a bit cheap. my final gripe being that it is not a joy to program. menu slog....

oh, and that vocoder is a joke.

on the plus side, the sound engine is very good, even though it can sound a bit sterile, it's still better than the Microkorg alternative. the manual feels very nice, and the FX are good. And I'll second the arp kicking a*s. it looks kind of cool too. like some sterile future piano.

- r
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:35 pm

At least there are a few OK editors out there for it now. There weren't when I sold mine.

I found the vocoder pretty good for processing different sounds internally, got some really interesting results, but yeah never had much joy with it for vocals. The simpler Micro Korg vocoder works better for yer trad robo-vox.