DX7 vs TX7?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
killertofu

DX7 vs TX7?

Post by killertofu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Ive been wanting to pick up an FM synth for a while now and with its popularity in the 80s/90s the DX7 seemed like the obvious choice. Im pretty picky on condition and most DX7s I see are beat up pretty badly. I also dont know if I can find room for one, as im pretty happy with my current setup.

I started thinking about picking up a TX7. I see them selling for $50 to $75 which doesnt seem too bad. I wasnt able to find too much info online or on this forum and I am wondering how similar is the TX7 to the DX7? Do the sounds translate well between the two or is there a noticeable difference?

Does anyone have both who can offer any insight?

Thanks!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: DX7 vs TX7?

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 pm

the TX and DX are the exact same synth

the TX can only be edited through a computer editor though i believe
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 am

I've read in several places the TX7 is noisier and I can believe it. My DX11 was much noisier than my TX81Z, despite being pretty much the same synth in theory.

imnickb

Post by imnickb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 am

I've used both.

They're pretty much the same thing. I don't think one is noisier than the other, but I will say that I think both are somewhat noisy.

There are really only 3 main differences:

DX7 has keys.
DX7 accepts ROM cartridges.
DX7 you can edit patches using just the DX7.

To edit on the TX7 you need either a DX7 (seems kind of redundant to me), a PR-7 (Super-cool looking, but I've never tried it) or, a computer. I use Jsynthlib - http://www.jsynthlib.org/ - to load patches onto it, but there are a ton of editors and librarians out there for all sorts of different OS.

As far as sounds go, they are exactly the same. You can load DX7 sounds to a TX7 and vice versa. I have a TX7 and I loaded the DX7 factory presets on to it. For the most part, FM synthesis editing is a pain in the butt- with a DX7, TX7, computer, or whatever you use- its just confusing.

The easiest way to get cool sounds is to just download a bunch from the interwebs and try them out... there are thousands out there. My recommendation would be to get a TX7, thats what I did.

With that being said though, I must say I'm probably biased because I'm selling mine. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was the best way to go. Although the price difference between a DX7 and a TX7 is only a couple hundred bucks or so, so maybe its worth it just so you can say you have a DX7.

If you're interested my TX7 is on ebay. Its in great shape and I've restored it to its factory settings and presets. I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I though I'd let you know. I'm not even sure you're in an area I'd ship to. Regardless, if you're interested, its here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0358480440

I'm moving and have to get rid of all my synths, otherwise I'd never let it go.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 am

I recommend the TX7, a nice little box of FM sounds. You don't want to use years of your life programming the DX7 just to get 2-3 sounds, trust me. There are loads of cool patches to download anyway. And it fits nicely on top of a rack unit like a sampler or something. If you get one try WinSysEx for a patch librarian, it is good and simple.

Summa

Post by Summa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:41 am

killertofu wrote:I started thinking about picking up a TX7. I see them selling for $50 to $75 which doesnt seem too bad. I wasnt able to find too much info online or on this forum and I am wondering how similar is the TX7 to the DX7? Do the sounds translate well between the two or is there a noticeable difference?
Considered getting a TX802, it's the 8 times multitimbral rack version of the DX7II and 2nd generation DX-Synths are having a slightly cleaner output due to the 16Bit DAC.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 am

dx7 can be edited using software eg. sound diver

i bought dx7 mk1. few months later i've added marvellous SuperMAX into it... now DX7 is asskickin synth and vst's like fm8 can suck it's balls ;)

ross308
Band: November's Ego

Post by ross308 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:37 am

check the dx200 . its very interresting. its a desktops unit that integrate DX synthesis with a sequencer and drum sounds. it has more hands on control than any other DX that i know and it wont take to much space

personally i got a DX7 IIfd and i am satisfied. it has many good improvements over the original dx7 and it look's better. the keyboard feel'S a bit strange to me but i find the velocity response quite good

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:41 pm

I still own and use both. The TX7 is not noisier to my ears but seems to have a higher output level.
The TX7 has savable function settings for each patch, although the DX7 Mark 1 only has one set shared by all patches.
On the TX7, you can set the range of notes that it will respond to. Get two of them and you can specify hard splits on your keyboard. With two modules, call up the same sound on both and detune one of them. What a sound!

It's easier to program with a DX7 but as somebody else pointed out, a sysex editor/librarian will allow you to make a bank of you favourite patches. My DX7 has 4 banks of 32 sounds (hardware upgrade) but I really only use one bank.

The bottom line is: editor/librarian for your computer and two TX7s.

Gilles
GC

mung
Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Post by mung » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am

Just bought a DX7 recently (in fact I havent even played it yet!) and I was offered a TX7 for around $75. Worth it?

I figured I can use it to make a 32 voice DX7

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm

mung wrote:I figured I can use it to make a 32 voice DX7
Well, not quite, it depends what you mean by '32-voice DX7'. You'll still have a 16-voice system but each voice will be twice as complex (layered). You'll never get 32 notes out of a DX7+TX7 system. It's not like the more modern machines like say, the Wavestation SR, whereby you can link two machines and one will play the 'even' notes and the other will play the 'odd' notes, thus doubling the polyphony. If you have both machines on the same MIDI channel, you'll have the sound of two machines but you'll still be stuck with 16-voice polyphony.

Gilles
GC

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:05 pm

gcoudert wrote:If you have both machines on the same MIDI channel, you'll have the sound of two machines but you'll still be stuck with 16-voice polyphony.
So you can still get 32 voices but you just need a different solution to allocate notes.

Still, 16 voices with 2-voice unison (with the same patch and slightly different tuning) - the DX7 does some marvelous things with unison.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

mung
Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Post by mung » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:05 pm

gcoudert wrote:
mung wrote:I figured I can use it to make a 32 voice DX7
You'll still have a 16-voice system but each voice will be twice as complex (layered).

this is what i meant :-)

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Yoozer wrote:
gcoudert wrote:If you have both machines on the same MIDI channel, you'll have the sound of two machines but you'll still be stuck with 16-voice polyphony.
So you can still get 32 voices but you just need a different solution to allocate notes.

Still, 16 voices with 2-voice unison (with the same patch and slightly different tuning) - the DX7 does some marvelous things with unison.
A solution to allocating notes for 32-voice polyphony would be to use two TX7 units. The TX7 has a function that allows you to specify the note range, so you could set one unit to say, 'lowest possible note' to B3 and the other from C4 to 'highest possible note'. Then you'd have true 32-voice polyphony. The DX7 keyboard hasn't got this facility. But then, unless you play with your hands and feet simultaneously, 16 voices is more than enough on a machine that only produces one sound at a time, isn't it?

And yes, I agree, detuned 2-voice unison does sound good, even on a DX7, especially when you pan one hard left and the other hard right. I like layering different patches too. One of my favourites is a koto patch layered with a harp patch an octave higher and panned slighly apart.

Gilles
GC

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 am

Look at a Mark 2 (even an 'S' if you won't miss the extra mark2 features - I personally WOULD miss those features as I use them all the time and it makes the synth far more flexible/usuable/magical). With an S/Mk2 you may find it's not as 'beat up' as the mk1s.. I saw loads of mk1s and they were all dented, some had worn through membrane switches etc.. just not worth it esp as they sometimes go for MORE than the mk2 because of their more 'classic' look (but this is not a moog ffs! ;) )