yamaha tg 500 or jv2080

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
princefan3

yamaha tg 500 or jv2080

Post by princefan3 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:06 pm

as the title goes, its betwen these two units to give me the best results for some ambient trance
strings.whats your advise.?

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: yamaha tg 500 or jv2080

Post by JMP » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 pm

princefan3 wrote:to give me the best results for some ambient trance strings.
...then I'd say a VA rack may be better. Otherwise, between the two get the JV. Sounds better, larger display and loads of expansion possible.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:25 am

thanks for reply JMP...was going towards the jv2080 anyway until i saw some you tube
clips on the tg 500..and some guy had been prgramming some great results from it,and the reviews
are great....
is it spending a lot of time with racks to get theses results or just over production techniques..
also it says that an editior on an atari was used to get results. i use a very very old cubase v2 programme
would the editor be inside that or is it some programme i have to load into it..?
thanks for your advise.

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi, I've used both the TG500 and the JV2080 extensively, and I still currently own the JV.

I used a TG500 for about 5 years in my first job. When I was using it I was often reaching to it for my pad type sounds, it was ok, but it didn't set my world on fire. The display is very small, and it's not a hugely intuative synth. Tbh it just ended up playing 2nd fiddle to the Kurzweil K2000 that I was using at the time. I did find as well that the TG had a slightly brittle quality to it's waveforms, knocking the top off with a hi-shelf eq helped but then I'd start losing some of the sparkle. It wasn't an aliasing low-bit rate type of brittle sound, it was more like bad ADPCM encoding.

As romplers go, I love the 2080. It gets much closer to the washy kind of ambient pads I always wanted the TG to do. The interface is so quick and easy to use on it, I've actually ditched the software editor I was using as the layout on the JV just makes sense. It can also do all manner of squelchy effects and some very solid bass sounds as well, it'll by no means replace an analogue or VA in that department, but it does a good job for what it is. Also great for those orchestral type sounds and pianos when you need them. Solid bit of kit that I wouldn't be without for sure.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:25 pm

thanks stafftunes for posting.great to hear from an actual user of both units...
i saw the tg 500 for £85.00 locally but had already sold...so would have probably got it.
i thought it would have been great value against a £250-300 jv.

what board/boards do you have loaded that inspire you the most..
this unit needs to give me that big build up pad sound,and work along side the drumstation/303/tx81z..

im quite fascinated by the tx at the moment its got that benni benassi sound in it see you tube tx81z. M4M
shows you how.

be good if we could keep the thread going mate.

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff

Post by Stafftunes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am

Heya,

I'd certainly be tempted by a TG500 @ £85, that's still a lot of synth for ya money! But then, knowing what the JV can do in comparison.. I'd still hang on! arg. I've seen JV's going for stupid prices mind... pays to keep looking @ Gumtree, SOS reader's ads etc as well as the evil-bay.

I've not actually got any expansion boards on the JV. To be honest I've listened to previews of them and compared to what the JV can do already, I'm not really sure if they're worth it (Seem to be going for £90-120 atm) I might be tempted by the orchestral one... everyone goes after the Vintage Synth one too... but,hmmm there's just sooo many great waveforms on the JV already.... I mean, how many sawtooths do ya need? :wink:

Well, there's loads of sounds and waves in there that give that huge build up pad sound, and it's just a case of delving and trying different things, you do the basic filter sweep type fx (yawn) or get some crazy stuff on the go by setting up a ring mod structure, and use a pitch envelope on one of the waves (great sounds when you ring mod stuff like violins against square waves) Or you could use the booster structure (I'm still not quite sure what the booster actually does) and then use a volume env to drive the 'boosting' wave to create a nice fat swell that starts to overdrive. Current tune I'm working on's got this crazy a*s patch with a filtersweep, and LFO's driving the volume of distinctly different sound waveforms - so they swell in and out... drenched in reverb it's like some kind of big alien space siren...

eekk I'm rambling!

I've got a TX81Z myself, been using it for about 15 years (arg getting old). Absoulutely love the beasty. In fact I recently sold an FS1R and went back to the TX. Tbh... I think the TX sounds warmer some how! Must be the 80's tech/outputs. They made the FS1R too damn clean! (and too stupidly complicated)

Staff

Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 am

By TX81Z on Youtube did you mean this?

Heh if not I enjoyed it anway :) .... I'm not sure which bit is the TX..... :? heh. Right I really must get on with some work now...

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Stafftunes wrote:I've not actually got any expansion boards on the JV. To be honest I've listened to previews of them and compared to what the JV can do already, I'm not really sure if they're worth it (Seem to be going for £90-120 atm) I might be tempted by the orchestral one... everyone goes after the Vintage Synth one too...
That's almost the price for SRX expansions... All the JV boards go for between £30 & £90 normally on Ebay, the Vocal and 60's & 70's tending to be the highest. Vintage synths is a good board to fit, the Orchestral II one too. I've tried them all except the Latin and Country ones. You'll get far more out of your JV with a few boards fitted.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:40 pm

well i went against all the advise but feel ive got the better sounding rompler.
yamaha deffinately give more time to their sounds it seems, very pleased with the purchase.
using it in conjunction with my novation ks rack.

and the pay off is i can get rid of the alesis nano piano a proteus 1 and possibly the
emu procussion.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Stafftunes wrote:By TX81Z on Youtube did you mean this?

Heh if not I enjoyed it anway :) .... I'm not sure which bit is the TX..... :? heh. Right I really must get on with some work now...
I can hear the tx81z in this its the saw bass line

my fav tx81z vid is this a tx81z with tr 808 style bass.Wickedness!

as for yamaha tg 500 or jv2080 .The jv2080 sounds like the way to go .
Living the Electro Life