Batle of the dual filter: CS-30 vs. CS-40m vs. Korg DV-800

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Batle of the dual filter: CS-30 vs. CS-40m vs. Korg DV-800

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm

So I'm gearing up to get either a CS-40m or Maxi-korg (DV-800), but currently have a CS-30... Comparing all three on paper, the maxi-korg and CS-30 actually look more similar (with dual filters), whereas the duo-phonic 40 and korg share that aspect. But the CS-40 has a number of things neither have (memories, more complex ring mod, more pitch and PW envelope options, etc..)

So ignoring all other aspects (price, reliability), which one would best compliment the CS-30? I'm veering towards the 40m at this point (gotta love the memories), but I have to wonder if the MK is the better option...
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Batle of the dual filter: CS-30 vs. CS-40m vs. Korg DV-800

Postby nadafarms » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 pm

dude I hate the cs-40m honestly. :D

I can't exactly remember how it breaks down but the ring mod on the 40m is whack. It doesn't track like a normal ring mod it kind of is free floating from the oscillators and doesn't track like a normal ring mod is supposed to. I know I'm not explaining it right but there is something crucially screwed up in the design on the ring mod. I'm a big ring mod fan which is one of the reasons I got the cs-40m awhile back.

Another thing is the 40m and 20m oscillators and filters do not sound as fat as the cs-5, cs-10, cs-30 black cs models. Overall I think there is just something rather vanilla and bland about the 40m where there just isn't a huge range in dynamics or something, very uninspiring synth so the whole patch storage thing seemed cool but in the end all the patches were useless to me because I didn't like the sound, but give me a cs-5 or cs-10 and I'll rock out for hours!

Big thumbs down to the overpriced 40m, it's also massive!!! so good luck shipping it if you don't like it. Mine also got damaged when it arrived, so that thing is gonna be an easy $100 to pack pro and ship in the US.

I would go for the maxikorg, though something seemed strange about the ring mod on that too. Honestly the korg 770 is what I would recommend :D it sounds better quality than a maxi or minikorg. But seriously the maxi is way more raw jimi hendrix and the cs-40m vanilla pat metheny.
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby BoxPhenom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:32 pm

I had the CS-40m and CS-20m and really didn't like them either, sure they have a bunch of features but the sound is not up to par with most other synths. The sine wave mixed in at the end was probably made to compensate for the lack of balls of the oscillators, the ring mod doesn't track from the keys, it pretty unreliable and the 40m has a design flaw in the hz/v interfacing which requires a mod, they're huge and smell bad too!
I'd describe the sound as muddy and woody, certainly usable, but only a logical choice if you find them at a bargain price. Unless there's specific features you really need, stick with th Cs-30 for your Yamaha flavoring.

The Maxi-Korgs are cooler for sure, but I can't really comment as I've only heard one once in a shop.
BoxPhenom

Postby Solderman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 am

Taking duophonic out of the equation, I find it interesting that the Yamaha gets tagged as the weaker sounding tone, considering it has two seperate VCO's and Sine sub per voice, whereas the Korg just has the one phase-locked ramp wave per voice. Demos I've heard seem to indicate that they both sound huge when both voices fire together, although the Korg's ringmod makes for some killer sounds on its own. Maybe the Yamaha's filter is just not pushing the harmonics as loudly?

Nada, I'd always heard the 770 and 800dv share nearly the same voice architecture and the same filter design, with the 800 basically being two 770's.(As opposed to two 700S's). Now I'm curious to hear a 770 in person.

When played with both voices stacked, the Maxikorg is really Four filters, not two: Two in series(per voice) with each voice in parallel. When the HP and LP are near the same cutoff, it creates added resonance. I don't know if the Yamahas are like this.

BoxPhenom wrote:they're huge and smell bad too!

This caused me to raise an eyebrow. Bad like what exactly? Rotting wood, burnt diodes, old industrial chemicals, that gook in old Moog Opus-3's?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby nadafarms » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 am

I think the 770, 700s, maxi are all really similar. But I used to own a 770 and 700s, they both sounded a bit different especially in the filters the 770 seemed to have a wider range in the filter. I listened to a maxi next to a 770 recently and definitely different sounds, also the 770 and 700s have different controls over the ring mod compared to the maxi from what i could tell in the brief time I played them.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:44 am

Interesting arguments for both... the cs40 would seem to be better in the features department, but the korg definitely seems to win in terms of character... I care less how big either sound, and am more interested in adding a sound that I don't already have... I was aiming towards the 40, but now I am being drawn to the korg. tough call!
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nadafarms » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:11 am

yeha man if you do get a 40m just don't spend more than $700 even then it's still a disappointing synth IMO.

only down side to the maxxikorg, 700s and 770 is NO CV GATE!

honestly you should check out the spectral audio neptune II. It's not vintage and no keyboard but has ring mod, good modultion abliity, fat VCOs, multimode filter, hella punchy/snappy envs, can be modded to be semi modular detailed in service manual, has midi/cv/gate and can act as a convertor, brand new and frickin cheap!

neptune II is what I'm getting next. 8)
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:18 pm

nadafarms wrote:yeha man if you do get a 40m just don't spend more than $700 even then it's still a disappointing synth IMO.

only down side to the maxxikorg, 700s and 770 is NO CV GATE!

honestly you should check out the spectral audio neptune II. It's not vintage and no keyboard but has ring mod, good modultion abliity, fat VCOs, multimode filter, hella punchy/snappy envs, can be modded to be semi modular detailed in service manual, has midi/cv/gate and can act as a convertor, brand new and frickin cheap!

neptune II is what I'm getting next. 8)

well, I'm definitely veering towards the korg at this point, even though it's more expensive. no cv/gate is sort of an issue, but at the same time, I can imagine just sampling it and using it that way.

neptune sounds good, but I'm definitely not going to buy something which I then have to mod...

in reality, if I was really thinking logically, I would probably get an ms20, or even a FR XS, though the latter doesn't really have the dual filter mojo of the korg... and the other thing is that this is a local deal anyways, so no shipping!
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nadafarms » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 pm

yeah man if you can get a local maxikorg do it. price is kind of all over the place on those... used to go for well over a $1000 but I wouldn't really pay that much.

but why not just get the dual filter univox pedal which is straight off the maxi? and then get a ms-20 8)
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Analogue Crazy » Thu May 28, 2009 11:23 am

I liked my CS-40M but yes i think it may well lack a little character. The ringmod is certainly a bit of a one-trick-pony and the filter is not thinner but 'smoother' than the other CS instruments. Overall, it's a bit of a wierd one really, but i really enjoyed mine and still miss it a little (although im in love with my A6).

Id go for the Maxikorg out of those, for the character. Also, the 40M only has one filter to twiddle at once, so its not in direct comparason with these other Synths.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,
Analogue Crazy

Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Postby nathanscribe » Thu May 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Most of the time when people describe the CS filters as 'thin' I expect that's in comparison to the standard 24dB low-pass or Moog-style sound that we've got so used to. This is a strength of the CS range - they have different filters to the norm. And for what my opinion's worth, the CS-40m sounds great. It certainly can sound solid, the ring mod is not the central feature of the synth and is a nice extra, and no it's not without its faults - frankly I don't care. I like it, I would recommend at least trying it for yourself to anybody who has the cash and the space, and it is very different to the CS-15, which may be more flexible but you can't balance pedals/drinks/space toys/20 Marlboro on it.*

*I don't, by the way.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 am

nathanscribe wrote: I would recommend at least trying it for yourself

Fortunately, I've actually been able to borrow one, and have been very impressed! It sounds pretty different to the CS30. And there's far more room for putting things on top than on any of the other CS-monos! :lol:

Analogue Crazy wrote:I liked my CS-40M but yes i think it may well lack a little character. The ringmod is certainly a bit of a one-trick-pony and the filter is not thinner but 'smoother' than the other CS instruments. Overall, it's a bit of a wierd one really, but i really enjoyed mine and still miss it a little (although im in love with my A6).

Id go for the Maxikorg out of those, for the character. Also, the 40M only has one filter to twiddle at once, so its not in direct comparason with these other Synths.

I totally disagree... I think the filter is way ballsier than the other CS-monos... much more bite to it. And I'm not sure how many tricks a ring mod can actually have.. the cs-40s is actually more well endowed than most I have seen (excepting the CS-polys) including the CS30, with the envelope and seperate freq control. the cs30's ring mod is tied to both oscs so it tracks pitch whereas the cs40 doesn't (and I guess that bugs some people, but it just ends up being a different sound).

I actually opted out of the MKorg in the end because of price.. despite all its character, it lacks a lot of things, and I just couldn't justify it.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Synth Shootouts