Blofeld + RM1X vs. Machinedrum UW

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Blofeld + RM1X vs. Machinedrum UW

Post by blitzdj86 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 am

Bit of a strange one for you!

For the purpose of this test,
we will include the fact that the blofeld will get a 'sampling' upgrade.

Otherwise if you think thats retarded,
compare with a regular machinedrum.

h**l why not compare it with a monomachine while we're at it.

I'm doing the Blofeld + RM1x, because I'm poor mainly. I've always wanted a waldorf synth too.

Its so cheap In fact I could buy a 2nd blofeld and itd still be heaps cheaper. (I'm probly gonna do this.)

So to begin with we have the following:

Blo+rm1x:
- CHEAP
- More synthesis options
- separate interface for sequencer + synth - more realtime control and more realtime feedback (2 screens)
- true polyphony

MDUW:
- RAM machines (I dunno if the blo will get something like this. .doesn't seem like it will be possible)
- More outputs
- Better routing
- Integrated interface. Made to work together, prettier.
- Smaller

FIGHT! :D

pneuman
Gear: Yamaha CS2X
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Blofeld + RM1X vs. Machinedrum UW

Post by pneuman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 am

I'm still a noob, but I'm very happy with my Blofeld -- it's a phenomenal "jack-of-all-trades" synth for the money. While I'm sure other synths have a nicer sound for various purposes, the Blofeld has enough features to take a stab at just about any kind of sound, the polyphony is very handy, and with the wavetables and those sweet sweet drive curves it's definitely not without character.

There are some downsides to being so cheap though -- there's just one output for instance, and no inputs. Also, it won't run off USB power, it doesn't have a full compliment of MIDI ports (MIDI out is via USB only), and the outputs aren't balanced, which can lead to noise from the PC getting in to the outputs via the USB cable's ground signals; I just leave the USB cable disconnected and use the real MIDI in when recording to avoid that.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Mon May 04, 2009 7:02 am

well, the only reason I can think to get the Blofeld and RM1X is polyphony. and with this, you can use the Machinedrum as a poly synth:

Skillet

Post by Skillet » Thu May 05, 2011 9:25 am

Hey blitz, did you ever decide? I'm curious what anyone thinks about the Monomachine vs the RM1X for sequencing. It seems like the RM1X can do more for editing, and for quickly making a lot of variations on a pattern, but I tried one about a year ago and it seemed either very clunky or like it had a steeper learning curve.