Best TB-303 Emulator?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Best TB-303 Emulator?

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:05 am

Just wondering what soft synth or gear you all think best emulates the TB-303. In other words, which synth
"nails" the sound the most, (Without actually BEING the 303, of course).

Let me know, thanks, and looking forward to getting back in touch with you great folks here at VSE!

P.S. - Just picked up a Micron, and LOVING IT!
For Trade: |Ensoniq ESQ-1|Yamaha CS1-x|Alesis Micron|

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Best TB-303 Emulator?

Post by Syn303 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:26 am

Ermm Pass, no wait... this should help - acidvoice best 303 emulator shootout

Actually this should be in synth shootout's
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:31 am

Well, I could either start an identical forum topic in "synth shootouts" or someone could move this to that thread.

I think I would choose the latter.

Thanks.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat May 02, 2009 8:16 am

x0xb0x
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat May 02, 2009 3:42 pm

no soft synth sounds remotely like a 303 so don't waste your time.

Fill
Gear: Micro Korg XL, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-1000, Mattel Synsonics

Post by Fill » Sat May 02, 2009 8:08 pm

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/ this does a pretty good job and its free now

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:18 am

ya - rebirth is excellent!! i still use it often..

also in the software realm - D16 Group's Phoscyon is a VERY close replication - is also has various envelope adjustments to get sounds not found on a normal 303..
besides that there is AudioRealism Bassline - is does a slightly flavored 303 in my opinion - very close to the original, but with options to boost bass and change waveforms slightly..

software is not a waste of time for 303 - i have heard more amazing things come from rebirth and ABL than from people using a real tb...

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun May 03, 2009 8:25 am

rebirth is cool and great and all, but its got a lot cooler stuff and easier and and and and a bunch of other s**t better than a real 303. I used a free softsynth once that was much like it, it sucked big time, I can't remember what it was called but it sounded the nearist as shitty as a real 303, farg I'll remember it sooner or later... Why do you care? just get a 303 emulator of any sort and 99% of nobody will notice the dif anyway.

I just needed to respond so I could search an older post, don't mind me or anything I say, like I need to say that...
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun May 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Whenever I see this, I always like to first point out that the parts tolerances during the run of manufacture of the original Roland Bassline were not very rigid, so every 303 sounds a little different.

If you want the tone of analog, software really isn't going to get it precisely. However, if you want software that sounds good, has favorable character, and behaves in a manner close to the original, Audiorealism Bassline is the closest I've found, and in fact sounds somewhat fatter than my own 303.(Without additional processing)

The real deal is still the punchiest I've heard,(mostly with resonance down) and the x0xbox will be the closest in this regard due to the similar parts construction.
StepLogik wrote:no soft synth sounds remotely like a 303 so don't waste your time.
When you are brainlessly trying to recreate the original perfectly, true. With so many clones, hardware and software, I can see how this could get time consuming,but it ultimately just depends on if you find something you like. The real deal has that classic sound alright, but try programming it for the first time. Software versions are definately superior in this regard, and has been said, often offer more options in addition to the classic features.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

wingedwhale
Gear: McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Lowrey Organ
Roland MC-505
Akai AX60
Korg MS2000
Yamaha TX81Z
Band: Dusty Organ

Post by wingedwhale » Tue May 05, 2009 4:06 am

I still wonder why Roland doesn't just make a new line of 303s. Moog has done just fine with its new Minimoogs (and its other new but analog things).

Well...I guess I can imagine. A lot of these companies have all but given up on "electronics" in the traditional sense (analog circuits). Roland probably doesn't have the means to profitably produce 303s anymore.

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Post by futureworlder » Tue May 05, 2009 5:18 am

wingedwhale wrote:I still wonder why Roland doesn't just make a new line of 303s. Moog has done just fine with its new Minimoogs (and its other new but analog things).

Well...I guess I can imagine. A lot of these companies have all but given up on "electronics" in the traditional sense (analog circuits). Roland probably doesn't have the means to profitably produce 303s anymore.
simple; NOT COMMERCIALLY VIABLE.

Most boutique manufacturers have been catering to a miniscule market for over a decade and have enormous difficulty sourcing the ICs, diodes, resistors and transistors that make analog circuitry possible. Many times to the point where orders can't be met within reasonable deadlines and timeframes, and customers either get fed up and demand their money back, threaten to sue, badmouth the company and in some cases, all 3. Some of this stuff is in such short supply that entire systems can no longer be produced, and the company is forced out of business under a mountain of debt and incomplete products in various stages of production. It can take YEARS to fill orders and some people don't mind the wait, while others simply walk.

Some of these circuit designs are decades old, and handcrafted, through-hole analog circuit manufacturing is fast being replaced by SMT technology and robots. For the big 3 (Roland Korg and Yamaha) to reproduce these circuits, they would have to source the original or clone ICs, and other components or contract new orders for obsolete parts to be re-designed, tooled and manufactured. Another factor is environmental regulation; most countries have very strict E-Waste laws that mandate standards and practices like ROHS which was designed to reduce output/throughput of heavy metals like lead and mercury into the environment- great for the environment, but lousy for analog synth makers as some of the stuff originally used is toxic and obsolete.

So, bottom line, for Roland to re-release the 303 would cost them MILLIONS just to get it back into production, and at best it's a niche market, they're more interested in putting out a new SMT'ed V-Synth, which is essentially a DSP-based machine with very little analog circuitry to deal with and load a 303 emulation on it with a pretty little 32-bit full-color image of one. Moog, in comparison, is a TINY company and fills a niche that isn't going away anytime soon and has been keeping current with green standards all along, modifying and designing their stuff to have a smaller carbon footprint, etc.

To the OP: Do yourself a favor and get a x0xb0x with a distortion mod; everything else sounds like a bumble bee trapped in a paper lunchbag in comparison IMHO. Look in Gear for Sale and you can find them built-to-order with custom cases/ designs available.
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

xenomorph313

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:40 am

Thanks for the valuable info. I've just been out of the VSE loop for a while, and was curious what the latest, greatest emulation was. Not really looking to purchase another piece of gear per se. Just looking for info. I'm still messing around with my Micron I bought about two weeks ago. Thanks again!

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 am

I've seen 2 good emaulators: A VST plug-in Audiorealism Bassline and now the Bassline from C64 from the MSSIAH Cartridge. Not exactly perfect emulators, yet the designers were striving to replicate the internal circuitry and software.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

The correct answer is x0xb0x.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon May 11, 2009 5:17 am

FR Revolution....hands down.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman