Yamaha AN-1X vs. Alesis Micron ( and other 'cheap' VAs)

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Yamaha AN-1X vs. Alesis Micron ( and other 'cheap' VAs)

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 pm

So anyway, I have an AN-1X. I like it, its easy to make sounds for, and there's a nice cross section of freely available sounds. But, I just got a KARMA (thanks tgauge) and so I'm short on synth space. Would a Micron replace the AN-1X completely? what advantages would it have? What would I be losing? In the rebuilt setup, the Micron would be slaved to the KARMA and primarily played through it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha AN-1X vs. Alesis Micron ( and other 'cheap' VAs)

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Advantages: smaller, vocoder, multitimbral, more filter options

Lose: only 8 voices (vs. 10), no patch morphing or Free EG, not as simple to program (you'll have to take the time to recreate AN1X sounds you currently use), sounds different
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Ok... would you switch?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Just to save space? Nope.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat May 16, 2009 3:29 am

I have both, keep them for difrent reasons. An1x I keep for its beautiful sound , the micron cause its small and beater meaning don't care if it breaks, well I would but I just don't treat it as delicately and it shows it, when taking it to a gig, and it still sounds OK but not quite as nice as AN1X IMO. Featurewise they cover a lot similar ground when it comes to voice editing, the micron might actually take the cake there, but its still going to sound a tad muddy, mine is an early micron tho so maybe the D/A converter just isn't as nice if the newer microns sound less clean or not I'm not sure. I like the sequencer/programmable arpeggiator on both too for difrent reasons, the AN1X has some neat splitting and transposing of multiple seqs so extra long keyboard helps, micron can put two notes on one step as far as I know AN1X cant but AN1X can record other intresting stuff into the arp.

I think you could replace the AN1X with a micron, but you'll regret it down the road and wan't the AN1X back so you'd have both, or perhaps not, if I had to replace the AN1X it'd probably be for a Micron but I wouldn't be close to 100% happy about it. If I had to replace a micron with an AN1X I'd be happier, but still miss some things on it too so I'd still be 99.95% happy. With both, I'm 101% happy.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:49 am

Thanks, good to hear from someone using both...

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Wed May 20, 2009 4:11 am

I've owned both the AN1X and the micron and I'd say they are just about polar opposites soundwise (as far as VA's go). I couldn't get rid of the micron quick enough and still have and love the AN1X.
Make sure to have a listen in person before you make any purchases, sales, or trades... it is about the sound after all.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed May 20, 2009 4:40 am

If space is that much of an issue, why not just stand the AN1x on its end and MIDI it to one of your other boards?

I've had an AN1x and and Ion and I much preferred my AN1x to the Ion. I thought it sounded "bigger", it cut through a mix when I used it with my former band, it had a ribbon controller, and it sounded a bit fuller and "warmer" than the Ion. The Ion never really grabbed me, even with external effects. That's not to say it's not a decent synth (I made some good bass and effects), but it just wasn't for me. I also preferred the key action on the AN1x and the UI on the Micron looks like it would be tedious to deal with if you really wanted to get into programming.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:58 am

i do most of my an1x programming in An1xEdit anyway...

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 pm

braincandy wrote:I also preferred the key action on the AN1x and the UI on the Micron looks like it would be tedious to deal with if you really wanted to get into programming.
Been thinking of selling mine but the keyboard is really nice on it, it makes an excellent master keyboard.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon May 25, 2009 10:58 pm

If the aftertouch when controlling other synths wasn't so sensitive, I probably would have kept mine. I seriously miss having a ribbon controller, but I let it go in order to fund another purchase at the time. It's still a great deal for the $300 they normally go for. I bought and sold my last 2 for that price.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:59 pm

I read on the an1x group you could adjust that (aftertouch sensitivity) with one of the trim pots inside the synth. Obviously too late for you now but for future ref to anyone reading.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Pro5 wrote:I read on the an1x group you could adjust that (aftertouch sensitivity) with one of the trim pots inside the synth. Obviously too late for you now but for future ref to anyone reading.
I'm pretty sure that you can do that with most synths.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Shreddie wrote:
Pro5 wrote:I read on the an1x group you could adjust that (aftertouch sensitivity) with one of the trim pots inside the synth. Obviously too late for you now but for future ref to anyone reading.
I'm pretty sure that you can do that with most synths.
Yeah but we are talking about the AN1x here not 'most' synths, so my specifics are important :mrgreen:

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Fair dooz!

Still, it's worth keeping in mind for other synths.