Alesis sr-16 or Roland r8 ?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
theundertakermc

Alesis sr-16 or Roland r8 ?

Post by theundertakermc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:21 pm

i can get an alesis sr-16 for 140 $ can and a roland r8 drum machine for 150 $ can ......wich one would you go with ? i really need your suggestion ...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Alesis sr-16 or Roland r8 ?

Post by Z » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

I would personally go for the Roland. I bought the Alesis D4 new when it came out but sold it to buy the R8M, which I still have. To me, the drums sound beefier. Plus you can use the individual outs on the R8 to add FX and stuff.

SR-16's are all over Dallas' Craigslist for under $100 USD, not sure how that converts to CAN.

winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Post by winningatlife » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:05 pm

R8 For sure. :)
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm

The Yamaha RY30 is better than either. It sounds better, it's pads are better, it has good real time control, a serious sequencer, decent digital filters, it's expandable and has a backlit display.

The R8 is decent, and you can get decent control for rhythms, but not really of the sounds themselves. The onboard sounds are pretty dated, and the cards are expensive. The midi timing is not rock solid when slaving to another sequencer. I personally didn't like the pads that much, but the multi outs are great. Don't forget the old Boss boxes the DR 660 and 770. They're decent too.

The SR16 is a class below these drum machines, and is fine for practicing guitarists (intro and fill-in features!). The sounds are pretty poor, and there's not much you can do with them. I remember the one bit of weirdness on the SR16 was a feature called "sample and hold" but it really wasn't like sample and hold on a synth. It's a dead straight drum machine, and I think most VSE folk would find it very boring.

What style are you trying to create? For techno I'd recommend an RY30, if you want good latin presets the DR770 is decent.

winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Post by winningatlife » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 am

Phenom wrote:The R8 is decent, and you can get decent control for rhythms, but not really of the sounds themselves. The onboard sounds are pretty dated, and the cards are expensive. The midi timing is not rock solid when slaving to another sequencer. I personally didn't like the pads that much, but the multi outs are great. Don't forget the old Boss boxes the DR 660 and 770. They're decent too.
Yeah, I agree - I sequence and trigger my Vermona DRMMKII and with my R8 which works well. I don't mind the programming so it is ok. Some of the sounds are actually pretty decent if you want 'realistic' drum sounds.

Personally I like to double them up/layer them. Analog + Digital = Win.

-Ryan
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.