JX-8P v Juno-60

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
ross308
Band: November's Ego

Re: JX-8P v Juno-60

Post by ross308 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Pro5 wrote:
mute wrote:
Pro5 wrote:

Yep, this has been said a few times on here (the rack version of the JX-3P does NOT sound the same as the keyboard). Roland really liked to swap things up in their JX/MKS range, little did they know how many threads and debates this would cause over 20 years later on some cosy synth forum! ;)

And yes JX-3P is one of my favourites too (of the cheaper DCO range)
does anyone knows if there a diference in chips used in the mks-7 and the juno 106 ?? i have the mks 7 and it makes me wonder.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm

i like the juno more, its really great for pads, strings, basses, pwm sounds, arpeggios and even fx.

u'd need a pg 800 controller to really reveal the potential of the jx8p. and in my experience those are hard to find, and might cost the same as the jx8p itself...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:04 pm

pflosi wrote:i like the juno more, its really great for pads, strings, basses, pwm sounds, arpeggios and even fx.

u'd need a pg 800 controller to really reveal the potential of the jx8p. and in my experience those are hard to find, and might cost the same as the jx8p itself...
No you can use a generic midi knob box like the BCR2000 that I got for £30 on ebay 2nd hand ;P (also works with JX-3P if you've done the mod)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:03 pm

yes, that works if you have a midi box that puts out CC and/or sysex. but u either have to find a good preset for your midi box, or you have to painfully assign every knob to a function... i once tried this with a d50 and it was REALLY annoying. i stopped it, then made some patches with the d50 UI, and now the d50 stands in a corner accumulating dust :)

UI is an important point to me with synths... it's so more intuitive if u have one-knob-per-function right on the synth, as well as a keyboard. leads to nice jams. also, it forces to play the thing rather than drawing midi notes and automations in a DAW.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 pm

pflosi wrote:yes, that works if you have a midi box that puts out CC and/or sysex. but u either have to find a good preset for your midi box, or you have to painfully assign every knob to a function... i once tried this with a d50 and it was REALLY annoying. i stopped it, then made some patches with the d50 UI, and now the d50 stands in a corner accumulating dust :)

UI is an important point to me with synths... it's so more intuitive if u have one-knob-per-function right on the synth, as well as a keyboard. leads to nice jams. also, it forces to play the thing rather than drawing midi notes and automations in a DAW.

hmm no. it took me all of 3 mins to 'program' my BCR to work with my JX-8p *perfectly*. You hit learn then move the edit slider on the 8P. fine tune in BCManager if you like but I never did.

It works and I've programmed loads of new sounds since hooking up a BCR. Now the debate isn't really BCR vs PG* it's about how the lack of a PG/BCR shouldn't cancel out the usefulness of a JX-8P ESPECIALLY considering you CAN use a generic midi box like a cheap BCR... so it's a non issue.

As for the rest, yes the Juno 60 is a great synth. I want one to replace my Juno 6 I sold.

Oh and of course your tastes and requirements are perfectly valid, in an ideal world all synths would be full of per function knobs etc... but consider the prices also and small things like this are not that important to MANY even if they are to you (and other, mostly 'analog synth' purists).

D-50 sitting in the corner gathering dust? What a waste of a beautiful synth :lol:
i once tried this with a d50 and it was REALLY annoying.
And we were talking about the JX-8P for which a BCR (etc) is most certainly NOT annoying but a joy to use. I don't think I'd even attempt to use the BCR for D50 programming (though it made light work of the DX7 ;) )

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

good to hear it works better with the jx8p :)

good post. obviously $$$ is a factor...

yes that d50 just gathers dust. it's just too big, i have too many synths and not enough space... and it's just not my favourite synth, i (almost) only used it through some nice analog filter. a6 is now sitting in the place of the d50 :)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Pro5 wrote:Yep, this has been said a few times on here (the rack version of the JX-3P does NOT sound the same as the keyboard). Roland really liked to swap things up in their JX/MKS range, little did they know how many threads and debates this would cause over 20 years later on some cosy synth forum! ;)
wow, I never heard that before... How do they sound different?

I know the 106 sounds different from the 60 because the high pass filter is setup differently on the 106 (is it integrated on the 80017?), so perhaps the mks30 has the same arrangement?

Does the keyboard version sound better/fuller?
Do you even post on vse bro?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

juno 60 has also analog EGs and EG PWM, which the 106 lacks...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: wow, I never heard that before... How do they sound different?

Does the keyboard version sound better/fuller?
It's all on this forum somewhere... I don't know about better/fuller just not identical

off hand one difference is the MKS-30 has Juno 106 filter IC’s (80017) instead of the Jupiter 8 ones the JX-3P has (ir1039)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:49 pm

i have 2 juno-60's and a jx-8p, and to me they don't seem to be competing with each other for anything. you can't really get the same type of trance like throbing basslines from the juno that you can get on the jx, and the modwheel on the jx is superior, but there's nothing on the jx that can really take the place of the juno's self oscilation or filter sweeps. but the portmento on the jx and the after-touch (mine works wonderfully, dispite the bad press) makes it a blast to play. and it has a nice cult following, and a pretty sweet fan site where you can submit patches. one thing to consider though, on the juno, you can write over the factory presets, but on the jx, it's factory presets are un-writable, save for one section of internal presets (the "I" bank) which is both editable and savable. i usually pick a peset that sounds close to the sound i want, and tweek it till it has the attributes that i need, and if it's really nice, i'll save it on a virtual pg-800 that you can dl for free with a simple google search. if synths were cars, the juno-60 would be something like a ferrari 308, where as the jx might be closer to a nissan Z32TT or equivailant.

awesome jx-8p resource site
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...