Which Electribe?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Which Electribe?

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:44 am

So I've decided I want to do some live shows, however, the problem is, there's just me. Most of my songs are more indiepop than all that electronic, however, I do love drum machines. I'm wondering if I should go for a ES-1 or an ER-1. I want something I can program the song into and just hit a button and it'll go through the song while I'm guitaring and and singing at a gig. Intuitive is a must. Now the reason I can't decide between the ES-1 and ER-1 is because by all accounts they feature the same sequencer and so forth, except one can do sampling too. What are the benefits of each one? Will these work for what I'm describing? Users please chime in and give advice.
Cheers.
oscillate wildly.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Re: Which Electribe?

Post by TrondC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 am

ES-1 all the way

I had the ER, and it's nice and cool, but you can do more usable stuff with an ES. it has LOTS more effects, and you can load samples that fit your sound better. the ER sounds nothing at all like real drums, but with the ES you can load some better suiting samples for your show :)

if I was you I'd get the ES. in fact, I'd get an ES over an ER in any situation.. :)

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 pm

get an ipod.

put the song into it,
hit play,

play your guitar and such.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:51 pm

As an owner of both I'd say grab the ES-1 over the ER-1. The ER-1 is really cool and a lot of fun, but it has its own sound - a bit like an 808/909 - and you can't really escape from that.

With the ES-1 you can load up any samples you like so the possibilities are endless, although it must be said it doesn't offer you a great deal of control over the samples. It's certainly not the most flexible sampler on the market and bear in mind that sampling/loading stuff in can be a bit time-consuming. However it may suit your purposes perfectly and there's quite a few people on here who feel it often colours samples in a good way.

The ER-1's main strength lies in its ability to generate quirky, FM rhythms - glitchy, blippy sorta stuff. At a push can make 808/909 style sounds, but I wouldn't say it's the unit's forté. It also lacks effects, save a simple global delay - the ES-1 has a whole selection of built-in goodness.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:57 pm

The ES-1 doesn't do "sampling too", that's all it does. There is no synthesis happening as on the ER-1.

The plus side is you can create new sounds (not just drums, you can create melodic sounds, too) by sampling. You need SmartMedia cards (obsolete and expensive) to store your samples and you can import WAV or AIFF format samples using the card.

Read more here.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nylon

Post by nylon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 am

Thanks for the input and "meatballfulton" I've read the SOS reviews already and the other one one the ER-1 (and incidentally, EA-1). I guess the smartcards kind of put me off the ES-1, and I've not worked with samples before, so I'm a little hesitant. I'm aware the ER-1 sounds nothing like real drums and I'm of the belief that if a person is going to use a drum machine, then don't even bother trying to make them realistic, rather embrace their non-acoustic nature. I do like the idea of creating my own drums with the ER-1, but, again it is limited by its own engine, I suppose, whereas a sampler is only limited by the sound sources available, but those can't be manipulated that much. I'm not sure if effects really sway my choice, I have a slew of effects pedals, but of course built-in is convenient. I've looked on YouTube and haven't found any good demos of the ER-1 and plenty that display the ES-1's ability to chop up a sample, which isn't my main interest either. Looking here though, it seems the unanimous opinion is the ES-1.
oscillate wildly.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Hate smart cards?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=28511

If you have the dough, swing for the ESX. If not, the ES-1 is capable, especially if is synced to another drum machine.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nylon

Post by nylon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Hate smart cards?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=28511

If you have the dough, swing for the ESX. If not, the ES-1 is capable, especially if is synced to another drum machine.
Nice find, Tallow! Unfortunately, I don't have the means for an ESX, maybe I will upgrade later when/if I do at that point. Okay looks like I've been convinced, ES-1 it is.
oscillate wildly.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:25 pm

nylon wrote:Okay looks like I've been convinced, ES-1 it is.
Bit academic now then, but here's a fantastic demo of the ES-1 loaded with Linn drum samples, courtesy of VSE member Harlemnights:

[youtube][/youtube]

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 pm

if you're not looking to take on sampling, could also go for an EM-1. stock drum samples plus two instruments per sequence. i've hung onto mine just because it has a decent bass guitar emulation.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:48 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:As an owner of both I'd say grab the ES-1 over the ER-1. The ER-1 is really cool and a lot of fun, but it has its own sound - a bit like an 808/909 - and you can't really escape from that.

With the ES-1 you can load up any samples you like so the possibilities are endless, although it must be said it doesn't offer you a great deal of control over the samples. It's certainly not the most flexible sampler on the market and bear in mind that sampling/loading stuff in can be a bit time-consuming. However it may suit your purposes perfectly and there's quite a few people on here who feel it often colours samples in a good way.

The ER-1's main strength lies in its ability to generate quirky, FM rhythms - glitchy, blippy sorta stuff. At a push can make 808/909 style sounds, but I wouldn't say it's the unit's forté. It also lacks effects, save a simple global delay - the ES-1 has a whole selection of built-in goodness.

CO-WORD.

I have owned 4 electribes.

The EMX 1, ER-1 are cool machines, BUT, they can be replaced by many synths. What I love most from the ER-1, was the delay effect. it had such a psychodelic tune, when you tweak it, it sounded very spacy, like a elastic sound.

but there's something of the electribe samplers that it's better than their 1 oscillator brothers.

They are more customizable: first thing that I did, was to erase all the preset samples, and start to build my own sound data base.

Took a lot of videogames, a lot of old and new records, a lot of movies, and start to record small pieces of them, and organize a sample database.

Soon, I filled completely the 256 mono sample source, and started to create user samplers resampling, and new patterns

Some results are really amazing, because ELECTRIBES are very very simple and basic samplers, not great deal about it, but the great advantage, is that they are very handy and easy to understand when tweaking sounds.

Only one LFO, wit basic waves. But it's a good LFO!!!

One filter, with the four basic filters. But the are good filters! Specially the resolution. It is so thick. You can sample a saw, create a chor with three of four mono tracks, resample it, and then you have a chord.
Create a decaying LPF filter with a high reso, and low filter at the ending, and you'll get a cool House Progressive chord.

High pitch sounds with a lot of reso and and random LFO linked to the filter, and you have a spacy high pitch effect.

And you can do that in a few seconds.

GO SAMPLER !

Electribe ESX1 is the better option, but I think it's expensive.

ESX1 is a good reason to laugh loud when some producer says: "no more hardware samplers, since software replace them:"....

b*llshit! Electribe samplers are GREAT fun!~
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

nylon

Post by nylon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Well I've been convinced and someone has offered me $300 for my EA-1 MkII, is that a good deal for me?
oscillate wildly.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Wow that's a good offer I think so.

Old electribes are around $200

New ones (EMX 1 and ESX1) are around $450

But the ES 1 would not replace it
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:07 am

Love the electribes, If I could own em' all I would. But in this situation you cant go wrong with an ES-1.

I highly recommend the ESX as well, but that costs a bit more. But yes...Go with the ES-1, you wont be dissapointed :)
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I have had all the Electribes at one point or another. Wonderful quirky machines. I've kept the three best ones: ESX, ES-1 and ER-1.

They are great, but I would also recommend you take a look at the smaller end of the MPC series, i.e. MPC-500 or MPC-1000. They are more flexible when it comes to MIDI sequencing/syncing of any other stuff you might want to use during a live show.
Monkey business since 2007!