LinnDrum or Yamaha RX5?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
bleurgh

Re: LinnDrum or Yamaha RX5?

Post by bleurgh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 am

Thanks a lot for that - excellent demo! I guess it's pretty different to the Linn, but it's got quite a lot of good sounds that you can't get on the Linn. I especially love those electric toms and the detuned cymbals.

I've seen one for $100 on the website of a local music store, so maybe I should just pop in and grab it anyway. Seems like it's got some useful sounds of it's own and would be worth having around. Plus it's got MIDI as well as clock triggers which would make it very useful in my set up.

Nice beats by the way!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 am

i've got a LinnDrum & an RX17. if you don't plan to circuit-bend them for better control, i'd just buy a Korg ESX & find samples of them on the internets. i'd love to do the crazy tuning mod to the LinnDrum- it's a great way to make it sound like old school Prince (LM-1 style).

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:50 pm

since they are sample based... I'd recommend getting a sampler and samples of them.

my friend who owned a real linndrum never ended up using it, because his samples of it were great
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Samples get so close, it's really hard to justify keeping a Linndrum unless you like the interface and sequencer a lot.

Also there's also sync problems that can occur with hardware that are not ideal with drums.

As for tuning the Linndrum has a global tuning trimpot inside.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Come on folks, give the vintage some love! This isn't Modern Digital c**p Explorer... ;-)

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 pm

What about a Sequential Drumtraks? You could even switch out the stock e proms for ones with Linn samples.

I like old Yamaha drum machines, I have two, but they are not going to sound like a Linn.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Not really into the Sequential machines. Dunno why, but they just don't seem to sound as good.

Oh I know I should be buying a sampler, it''s certainly the most logical thing to do. But I am absolutely a creature of habit. I've got all this old gear, and now I find the idea of buying something new and sensible to be completely out of character for me. I know on a level of practicality and logic that this is ridiculous. It's purely an emotional thing and it's difficult for me to change.

If I lost all my stuff through theft or fire, I would definitely replace it all with a modern, streamlined set up.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 am

xpander wrote:i've got a LinnDrum & an RX17. if you don't plan to circuit-bend them for better control...
I guess the RX-17 is pretty cut-down version of it, but I wouldn't ever describe the RX-5 as lacking in control.

Among other things, it has: 12 individual outs, with 12 accompanying volume sliders, 24 drum pads, 2 separate accents, the ability to pitch each instrument +24 or -36 semitones, a 6-parameter envelope (attack rate, decay rate 1, decay level 1, decay rate 2, release rate, and gate time), reverse and damp options, plus the ability to tweak all of these per instrument per step once they're in a pattern.

The weak points of the RX-5 are that the sounds do take some fiddling to sound good (it's not likely to amaze you straight out of the box), the step programming on the small display is not particularly quick or fun, and the thing is massive (about 17" x 13.5"). It's definitely a programmer's drum machine though. I wasn't sure about it at first (got it on a whim because it was $75), but it's definitely growing on me.

For the prices they go for these days, I say you can't go wrong. Can't comment on it versus the Linn, as I've never had the chance to try one.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:57 am

You could just use the Rx-5 with your DAW through midi.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:29 am

nathanscribe wrote:Come on folks, give the vintage some love! This isn't Modern Digital c**p Explorer... ;-)
Even if I was forced to only use things made before 1990 I'd still use samples of them in an MPC60 or something.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Even if I was forced to only use things made before 1990 I'd still use samples of them in an MPC60 or something.
Being forced to use things made before 1990 sounds good to me! Unless it's a bunch of D-5s and an FB-01. :shock:

I can completely understand the logic and workflow of going the sampled route for percussion. As I said earlier, if you're going to buy a big vintage drum machine, you have to want what it is as well as what it does and sounds like. Not for everyone. Some would be productively crippled by a bunch of vintage, others will thrive on the limitations and the way it makes you do things. Personally, I prefer having separate bits of gear for everything, and running cables everywhere in a Heath Robinson stlye jumble. But then, I'm not in a rush and I'm not gigging.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

I have a Linn 9000. When it does work (buggiest drum machine ever) it is simply stunning. The feel of the Linn is really what makes the machine for me. It has punch for days and I am a big fan of Italo disco and can tell you those sounds are all over that stuff. Moroder definitely put it on his tracks! I think feel is just as important as the raw tone and that's where the Linn really has the other boxes beat. I have not heard it's shuffle on anything other than perhaps the MPC ... but even still the 9000 to me has a bit of a groovier vibe. However, if I were in your shoes I would pick up a really good 12 bit sampler. Perhaps something like an Aka s950 and then sample up a bunch of single hits. Use the individual outputs on the akai and sequence with something that has some life to it (I use an MPC2000xl with the 950). I would think this would be the best of both worlds at a cost that's a lot less. I never was a fan of the Yamaha boxes and the only other digital drum machine I really loved was the Kawai R100 but that thing basically wrote Wax Trax! and isn't really the best machine for Italo-Disco. Again, the Kawai had this very particular sequencer that just made everything sound like early Ministry or KMFDM.

If it has to be hardware drum machine, I say go Linn. However, if you want a flexible set up that will give you WAY more options, I would definitely go with an MPC and an S950.

-matia

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Good point, drum machines have feelings too.

Also it IS indeed about what these machine ARE not just what they do.
They are monuments of a past era. ;)

But, yesterday I made a Linndrum drum rack in Ableton 8 and added a bit of mpc2000 groove from the new groove template.
I have to say I'm impressed, very similar vibe, non-destructive, and since I use my Linndrum with midi, it's the same workflow minus the midi jitter and audio interfacing.

I think I'm about to sell my Linn.

wrekkstylz

Post by wrekkstylz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:04 pm

If I could afford it I'd probably go with a linndrum

but as a second best I'd go with an sequential drumtracks or oberheim DX or DMX instead of the yamaha

and as another possibility if i could afford a linndrum i might just go with a drumtracks and DMX and have 2 drum machines instead of one.

i've spent a lot of time looking through videos or drum machines and synths. i like that pop kind of sound, like this >>

so based on that kind of bias these are the ones i've found interesting.

LInndrumm LM2

Oberheim DX

Sequential Drumtracks

to me the rx-5 seems like it's be more ideal for that depeche mode, human league type stuff, but then again Italo disco is more along those lines because it's more upbeat and cheery like that.
bleurgh wrote:The RX5 certainly seems a lot more flexible - and is about a fifth of the price. Is there a good reason anyone can cite as to why it's so cheap?
I don't know, but based on the few videos i saw on youtube my guess would be because it sounds like s**t.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am

nathanscribe wrote:I can completely understand the logic and workflow of going the sampled route for percussion. As I said earlier, if you're going to buy a big vintage drum machine, you have to want what it is as well as what it does and sounds like. Not for everyone. Some would be productively crippled by a bunch of vintage, others will thrive on the limitations and the way it makes you do things. Personally, I prefer having separate bits of gear for everything, and running cables everywhere in a Heath Robinson stlye jumble. But then, I'm not in a rush and I'm not gigging.

I know exactly what you mean. Couldn't have (and haven't!) put it better myself.