MG-1 VS rogue?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

MG-1 VS rogue?

Post by tekkentool » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm

hey guys, I know they are very similar synthesizers. but I was just wondering exactly how similar do the moog rogue and the MG-1 sound? say, would an MG-1 sound pretty much exactly the same as this?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: MG-1 VS rogue?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:26 am

I absolutely despise it when people demonstrating synthesizers feel the need to add reverb or delay. Seriously.

It's a good way to say, "Hey, this is what this synth doesn't sound like."
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I absolutely despise it when people demonstrating synthesizers feel the need to add reverb or delay. Seriously.
adding reverb and delay onto a NES can even bring decent results.

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:13 pm

[-X Oh come on guys, Bob Weigel puts a lot of effort in making demo for synths that most people ignore or underappreciate (Yamah CS-15D, Crumar Multiman,etc.) He puts some reverb in there and i think it's fair to say it doesn't make his demos unreliable.

If people don't put reverb or delay in their demo then some won't understand that with proper and minimal processing, the demoed synth will provide you with great useable sounds (listen to Original Jambo's demo of the Lowrey String Melody II). I understand that the demo isn't showcasing the synth exclusively, but their authors shouldn't be despised for that, it's just another way to do it.

As for the question at hand, i've only heard about these two synths so here are my two cents:

The Rogue is built stronger than the MG-1
The MG-1 has features that the Rogue doesn't have (ring mod, polyphonic section).
The polyphonic section of the MG-1 sounds nothing like an organ.

AG's temper is getting out of hand, he didn't even bother sharing his extensive demo of the MG-1...yet!

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2

Post by LucB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:15 pm

tekkentool wrote: adding reverb and delay onto a NES can even bring decent results.
You don't need anything to get amazing result with a NES, it kicks a*s on it's own. Haven't you nerds ever listened to the music of River City Ransom and Megaman 2?

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:25 pm

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:12 pm

LucB wrote:AG's temper is getting out of hand, he didn't even bother sharing his extensive demo of the MG-1...yet!
Well, I've been working as a video editor for a year now, and the sad side effect is that I actually know what I'm doing in regard to editing... this has led to... :::ahem::: delays!
It's my plan to have this demo out soon, though. I just wanted to learn to use Motion in order to make it fancy. :wink:

It's going to be called "Why You're Wrong About the MG-1," and it is going to be a pretty large series of videos showing sounds and functionality which demonstrate why you really should be buying an MG-1.

It'll be done soon, LucB! Temper or not. :wink:

P.S. For those of you wanting a demonstration of reverb, delay, etc. you're going to be disappointed. I complain about effects for two reasons:
1. They are your taste. It's like making sure all the actresses in your movie wear that lipstick you love.
2. They can (and usually do), to some degree, conceal subtle aspects of the sound of the instrument... and for what purpose? A synth with reverb sounds no more pretty than a synth without reverb... it just sounds more like the reverb.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2

Post by LucB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I just wanted to learn to use Motion in order to make it fancy. :wink:
WHAT!!? :shock: You mean the previous demos were NOT fancy?!?!?

Then i guess the MG-1 demo will be forsaken to my eyes, they would melt from all the fancyness! Hehehe

I get you point on reverbs and delays, but i'm still cool with demos using them. Of course their use should always be mentionned in order to avoid anyone believing the synth sounded that way on it's own.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm going to agree with Gainsay. I am horribly annoyed when alleged synth demonstrations employ effects. I want to hear your synth, not your alesis wedge. Effects usually color the sound too much to get a good indication of the basic synth sound. It also always makes me think the person doing the demo is thinking "this synth is c**p but my $50 effects processor can make it sound ok". Tell Mr. Weigel that we are demanding consumers.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Moog Rogue = 100% Moog build and parts
Realistic/Moog MG-1 = 100% Moog build but not 100% Moog parts

The MG-1 does not use Moog oscillators or VCA's. That is indeed a Moog 24dB VCF in it though. I've AB'ed an MG-1 with a friend's Rogue, that it has been probably five years since. I remember at the time that the synths sounded the same to my untrained ear. I liked the control layout of the Rogue better (the wheels, the octave layout) but I liked the MG-1's ring mod and the poly (which sounds more like an air organ than a Hammond). The poly is much more useful than people give it credit for, and not just as a third mono oscillator. Clean all the gunk out and you've got a great synthesizer, probably the most full-featured vintage analog mono you can find under $500. Of course, it's about the only one (besides the CS01 and sometimes an Axxe or Micromoog) you can find in that price range.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 pm

The performance controls on the Rogue, and the ability to modulate the synced oscillators via the EG are its main selling points. The MG-1 just seems friendlier and more fun to play, though. The poly section through filter (w/ S/H modulation and slow attack) sounds fantastic--no chord organ can come close to that sound.
And the MG-1 doesn't use the Rogue's stupid power adapter.
Why the MG-1 is selling under $400, I will never understand.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 pm

hey thanks guys, i always figured there was something different about the mg-1's sound.

hey, BTW i'm not bashing NES music, i've spent my fair share of time inside famitracker, i'm just commenting on what good outboard effects CAN do to a sound, such as the raw and aggressive 2A03 sound turned rich through outboard effects.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:08 am

LucB wrote:If people don't put reverb or delay in their demo then some won't understand that with proper and minimal processing, the demoed synth will provide you with great useable sounds (listen to Original Jambo's demo of the Lowrey String Melody II). I understand that the demo isn't showcasing the synth exclusively, but their authors shouldn't be despised for that, it's just another way to do it.
Actually my demo has segments that were recorded dry, before I move on to adding effects at the end of the video. I can see where AG is coming from - adding delay to almost anything can make it sound awesome IMO. In my earlier Polysix video I recorded with both reverb and delay and now sort of realise my folly, especially when you consider that the Polysix has some tasty onboard effects anyway.

Remember if it's recorded dry anyone can add their own effects later - I used to sometimes do this via PatchMix DSP when I listened to raw sound examples with my E-MU 0404.

I'm glad you liked the video though. Oh and it's Logan, not Lowry. ;)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I absolutely despise it when people demonstrating synthesizers feel the need to add reverb or delay. Seriously.

:roll:
reverb and/or delay can be gorgeous whatever you add them to.

regardless, i'd take the MG-1 over the rogue, long as you have a decent monophonic to begin w/.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:19 am

space6oy wrote:

:roll:
reverb and/or delay can be gorgeous whatever you add them to.
I think we may have missed a step in our syllogism.