MG-1 VS rogue?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: MG-1 VS rogue?

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:Your statement that the MG-1 does not use all moog parts is contrary to the story of the engineer who helped put the MG-1 together for Realistic/Radioshack. He states the MG1 uses the Moog 3046 VCO and the Moog 3080 VCA. I wonder what the truth is. I know i have seen pics of the PCB and it is stamped with the Moog logo so i dunno. I
Here's where I got my information:

Well I was referring to this as well. I guess I am not sure how to read that, as I am not an electrical engineer. I do not know what tempco or electronotes are. And who exactly made the VCO's and the VCA then? :?
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 am

I don't have a problem with people adding delay / reverb on their synth demos. That's how I would be using them myself most of the time anyway. A good demo can have a mix of wet / dry -examples.

[edit: I just watched the clip on the first post and that guy's taste in reverberation effects just sucks.]

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:18 am

But when looking for a psychedelic synths, you better have to get one that sounds swell with delay. I like AudioAnalog1's YouTube channel, even though he use a delay on every synth. But it's always the same Roland delay. His video convinced me that the SH-1000 and the Synthorchestra sounds super good with delay.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnalogAudio1

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:38 am

Scories wrote:But when looking for a psychedelic synths, you better have to get one that sounds swell with delay. I like AudioAnalog1's YouTube channel, even though he use a delay on every synth. But it's always the same Roland delay. His video convinced me that the SH-1000 and the Synthorchestra sounds super good with delay.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnalogAudio1
I'm curious about which analog synths sound bad with delay. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Scories

Post by Scories » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 am

The Crumar Multiman is the only one I know. :)
My Microwave XT too (in many cases), but that is not an analogue.

edit: well, actually, the Multiman is not really a synth...

AG: I just bought a MG-1 through Craiglist. I have to admit that your delay-free videos are the most convincing I found on YouTube. How influetial am I!! :D

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:16 am

I'm with AG, it's a pet peve hearing reverb or delay or distortion or whatever in synth demos. I can't tell what they sound like at all when people do that, it just makes synths sound really similar to each other. Reminds me of my old microkorg or something hahaha
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I'm with AG, it's a pet peve hearing reverb or delay or distortion or whatever in synth demos. I can't tell what they sound like at all when people do that, it just makes synths sound really similar to each other. Reminds me of my old microkorg or something hahaha
I always think there's something apologetic about it... like "this synth sounds dull being solo'd without anything else going on... I should sweeten it up." Which is fine, unless you're doing a demo to specifically demonstrate what the synth itself sounds like.

A few equations:
Synth + Chorus = Chorus
Synth + Delay = Synth sounds cool even if it is shite
Synth + Reverb = "this synth sounds sterile and thin, and needs something else"
:lol:
Scories wrote:AG: I just bought a MG-1 through Craiglist. I have to admit that your delay-free videos are the most convincing I found on YouTube. How influetial am I!! :D
Keep us updated on how you feel about the synth. I'm glad my videos were convincing! :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:[I always think there's something apologetic about it... like "this synth sounds dull being solo'd without anything else going on... I should sweeten it up." Which is fine, unless you're doing a demo to specifically demonstrate what the synth itself sounds like.

A few equations:
Synth + Chorus = Chorus
Scories wrote:AG: I just bought a MG-1 through Craiglist. I have to admit that your delay-free videos are the most convincing I found on YouTube. How influetial am I!! :D
Keep us updated on how you feel about the synth. I'm glad my videos were convincing! :)
Oups! I should have written influenced - bad French translation: "How influenced am I !!"
I have to admit that the video was informative and entertaining.
The polyphonic section is no way a 'cheesy organ'! :D

Sure, I'll told you what I think about the MG-1. I just hope that the model I've bought via Craiglist is in good shape. Apparently it's 100% functionnal and foam-free, with some noisy sliders. But the seller has been hazy when asked about eventual/intermittent issues.

I don't neither like videos with chorus, phaser, reverb. But strangely, I manage to figure out the sould of a synth with or without the delay fx.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:44 am

I can't, same with guitars, amps etc
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I'm with AG, it's a pet peve hearing reverb or delay or distortion or whatever in synth demos. I can't tell what they sound like at all when people do that, it just makes synths sound really similar to each other. Reminds me of my old microkorg or something hahaha
I always think there's something apologetic about it... like "this synth sounds dull being solo'd without anything else going on... I should sweeten it up." Which is fine, unless you're doing a demo to specifically demonstrate what the synth itself sounds like.

A few equations:
Synth + Chorus = Chorus

Here's a little update for everyone. I've this synth for about a month now, and I must say, what a great piece of kit.
I actually just got done spending 2 hours with it. I was doing all kinds of things with it; I was really trying to push the envelope (atrocious pun, my apologies). I find that synths like the Mg-1 really focus my creativity. Instead of staring a Virus in the face, and being intimidated by the infinite possibilities, I am elbow deep in electric current, coloring the timbre to my liking. There are some features i I wish it had, but isn't that the story with nearly any piece of gear?

One of the cooler things i did tonight was set the MG-1 to auto trigger, and then using my 'Tribe for guidance, I locked in a nice BPM. I then created a kick drum sound, and then played my LP over the top. A great way to unwind on a Thursday night.

For the record AG, you are right. Effects do hide a lot of the actual tonal character,and I disdain demos which employ them. However, as predicted, I do love running my Moogs through a ringing ping-pong delay, complimented by a veneer of reverb now and again.

Feel free to post more stories and or info about this great little synth.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:58 pm

The mg-1 sounds like the rogue, but i cant tell exactly because i haven't played both through the same amp with the same cab( i use a stack for my synths!!)(im a guitar player). I also want to take the opportunity to say the poly section sounds very close to a 16 foot square wave on my korg poly 800.. not at all like an organ. thats not all bad

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:45 am

Well, the Poly 800 does sound quite a lot like an organ...

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 am

Right now I'm working on a live set using the MG-1, a 606, guitar, vocals, and a reverb and looping pedal.
The songs are in the vein of BOC, Suicide, Stereolab, and the Velvet Underground.
In my attempts to minimize the amount of gear that I'll be dragging around, I've found that the simplicity, versatility, size, and ease of use of the MG-1 are hard to match.
Once you've spent a few hours with the MG-1, you can make about any sound that you can imagine, within it's bounds, in about 10 seconds or less, so who needs patch storage?
The ring-mod is badass, especially for adding some syncopated movement to an otherwise stagnant melody.
Also, turning down the the oscillators down about half way and turning the Poly section up all the way while you play with both hands is just phenomenal.
As far as the Poly section sounding like a cheesy organ, you can get that sound, but since you can modulate and run the Poly section through the filter, you can make it sound like alot more than just a cheesy organ.
So, I think, that if you're doing "songs" and you want to add chords or intervals to your bass lines, leads, and sound FX, the MG-1 is whoopin' the Rogue.
BTW: I've owned the Rogue.

PS: if you're not using delay and reverb with your synth that was made before 1985, you're really missing out.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm

analoglsd wrote:Right now I'm working on a live set using the MG-1, a 606, guitar, vocals, and a reverb and looping pedal.
The songs are in the vein of BOC, Suicide, Stereolab, and the Velvet Underground.
In my attempts to minimize the amount of gear that I'll be dragging around, I've found that the simplicity, versatility, size, and ease of use of the MG-1 are hard to match.
Once you've spent a few hours with the MG-1, you can make about any sound that you can imagine, within it's bounds, in about 10 seconds or less, so who needs patch storage?
The ring-mod is badass, especially for adding some syncopated movement to an otherwise stagnant melody.
Also, turning down the the oscillators down about half way and turning the Poly section up all the way while you play with both hands is just phenomenal.
As far as the Poly section sounding like a cheesy organ, you can get that sound, but since you can modulate and run the Poly section through the filter, you can make it sound like alot more than just a cheesy organ.
So, I think, that if you're doing "songs" and you want to add chords or intervals to your bass lines, leads, and sound FX, the MG-1 is whoopin' the Rogue.
BTW: I've owned the Rogue.

PS: if you're not using delay and reverb with your synth that was made before 1985, you're really missing out.
Well said analog! I have found this to be true!

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 pm

So does anyone know of any differences in the circuitry btw. these two units? Does the Rogue also sport digital noise? And why does the Rogue have locked oscillator footings? Seems like a real oddball decision. Does Micke or anyone else know the story of the Rogue and its composition?

Also, what at are the aural and practical differences btw. analog and digital noise?