Poll: Vintage String Synth Battle Royale

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Which of the following vintage string synth can make your favorite string sound?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Yamaha SK 10/15/20/30/50d
No votes
Roland RS 101/202 (Multivox MX-202 also i guess)
No votes
Roland RS-505/VP-330
25%
ARP Solina/Omni
33%
Logan String Melody I/II
No votes
Elka Rhapsody 490/610
8%
Crumar Performer/Multiman
8%
Korg Delta
No votes
Korg Lambda
25%
Korg Trident
No votes

Total votes: 12

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Poll: Vintage String Synth Battle Royale

Post by LucB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 pm

The discussion thread has been active for quite a few months now and i think it's time we all put our money where our mouth is.

Pick one, pick once, pick wisely (as this is most probably the one life-defining choice you will make, EVER)

I think the ones i put up here are the most popular ones, sorry if i didn't mention your favorite.

The groups i've made are coherent i think, don't the RS-505 and VP-330 sound the same?

VINTAGE STRING SYNTH BATTLE ROYALE... GO!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Re: Poll: Vintage String Synth Battle Royale

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:10 am

For my surprise, I had to go for the RS-505/VP-330. :shock:

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am

LucB wrote:

The groups i've made are coherent i think, don't the RS-505 and VP-330 sound the same?
No...the String Section in the RS-505 and the VP-330 are not the same. Wiss or aeon will certainly confirm that.

Also Solina's are different. There is a sound difference between a Eminent 310 Unique (or Grand Theatre) that also house a String Ensemble Section and an Eminent Solina String Ensemble; or between the first models of Eminent Solina String Ensemble (with the mono output) and the later models rebadged ARP Solina String Ensemble with the LED's under the buttons and the stereo outputs. Or between the Eminent String Ensemble and the ARP Omni.

But that makes nothing...i voted for the Solina. :wink:
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

I sort of cheated.
I don't really have a "favorite string synth sound."
I just voted for the one whose functionality and resultant sound coupled with its delicious aesthetic tickles my fancy.

Speaking of cheating, string synths which also include other sorts of synths aren't fair! (I'm looking at you, Trident, SK-30/50D)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I sort of cheated.
I don't really have a "favorite string synth sound."
I just voted for the one whose functionality and resultant sound coupled with its delicious aesthetic tickles my fancy.
Nerd.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Speaking of cheating, string synths which also include other sorts of synths aren't fair! (I'm looking at you, Trident, SK-30/50D)
Yeah your right. I should have excluded the SK-30/50D, given the question asking for the string sound coming from a string synth voting for the SK30/50D is juste like voting for the other SK's.

As for the Trident, well...sue me it still deserve a spot on there to me! Just like the Delta, there are too many features and functionalities focused on the string section to disqualify it as a string machine. Or did you overlook the Delta because it's divide-down? Maybe we should start a thread on synth semantics and define once and for all the meaning of every hackneyed keyboard/synth-related term and 'power word': organic, fat, keyboardist, synthesist, string synths, combo organs.