V synth vs V synth GT

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Re: V synth vs V synth GT

Post by code green » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:57 am

so far it seems as if the best thing about the GT is that it's making prices fall for the original v-synth.

speaking of which, does anyone have (or can anyone point me to) some good sound samples of the v-synth's sampler in action? obviously samples of samples can only tell one so much, but i'm trying to get a feel for the quality and flavor of its sound. and i haven't been able to find much of interest on youtube.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 am

I have the original. More knobbage and sliderage. A very endearing and satisfying synth. Tried out the GT and went "meh."
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:16 pm

code green wrote:so far it seems as if the best thing about the GT is that it's making prices fall for the original v-synth.

speaking of which, does anyone have (or can anyone point me to) some good sound samples of the v-synth's sampler in action? obviously samples of samples can only tell one so much, but i'm trying to get a feel for the quality and flavor of its sound. and i haven't been able to find much of interest on youtube.
Well this track is entirely made with a V synth. Obviously since it has no sequencer or multitimbre mode, it's being sequenced by a command station. It was as little hard not to run out of polyphony on these kind of tracks on the V synth:

http://www.crbeats.com/downloads.php?vi ... &df_id=600

Is not a demostrative patch song, but a dance one. I had to resample in order to avoid excesive poly clicking the poly is around 24-26 (correct me if I'm wrong), and it's not real poly, if you use 2 oscillators, it's reduced by half, and the delay effects also affect it.

The cuts of that radio voice, is a preset from the 2.0 upgrade. V synth's owners should recognized it.

This one shows a lot some of the v synth sample presets, specially at min 3:29. I love that muddy chattering....
The version 2.0 has several 4-4 small sequences, I think they are from samples 10 to 29 at the beggining of the list. Somebody said that these samples are like wavetables.. I dunno, but they behave as elastic as wavetables when assigned to the oscillators..... Also, owners will recognize that minisequences from the V synth:

http://www.crbeats.com/downloads.php?vi ... &df_id=405
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

crufty

Post by crufty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm

korg m3 is a great sampler
roland vsynth is a great looper

both are clean in the sense what you put in is what you get out.

both are easy to use. m3 is multi-timbural, suffers from usual sample playback type artifacts but we've all grown used to that sound.

v-synth's timburality is...different. the ability to dynamically whack your samples is what sets it apart. slow down and speed up in real time, reverse playback, all locked to tempo, change the pitch of a sample not only by note, but modulating the pitch within the sample (say you have a guitar loop, you can raise a part of the loop in pitch etc).

throw on a va engine underneath the sample for some basic padage etc and well well well--interesting stuff.

i would not bother with vintage samplers unless really had a need for that lo-fi sound. akai s6000 maybe. The usb and touch screen interfaces make life really easy...life is too short for led displays! :)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

does nobody have any goddamn examples of the AP synthesis in use?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Bah! (no drooling but grunting....) :D

nice videos, but now I love a little bit more my V ysnth and the Yamaha EX5 with its virtual acoustic synthesis....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Great read as I have been leaning on geting a V synth for my modern stage board.

Now as I take it the orginal V synth does not have a vocoder correct ? You have to get the card correct? The Gt has this bulit in correct? Is there any difference between the two? How much do the cards go for? Can you still get them new? How many other type of cards are their for the orginal v synth ?
Living the Electro Life

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 pm

You have the VC-1 and VC-2 cards, the D50 and Vocal Designer. Both are a right b***h to find, but the latter especially, and it commands insane prices. The GT and XT (I think, right?) have these both built in.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:40 am

tallowwaters wrote:The GT and XT (I think, right?) have these both built in.
Pretty sure the GT has the VC-2 built in, but not the VC-1. It doesn't support the cards either - bit of a shame really.