Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
photomoto

Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

Post by photomoto » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:31 pm

So if I had the two on a table and they were the same price, which would you choose and why?
Is the prophet '08 a future classic - does the jupiter 6 sound better and have greater features...one of them will be mine, you can help me decide.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

Post by Z » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:57 pm

I was very excited to hear the announcement of the P'08 a couple of years ago but was dissapointed when I first got to play one (and subsequent visits). To me, it just didn't sound that big or thick unless it was layered, reducing the polyphony to four. There are others here on VSE that love their P'08, though.

I love my JP-6. Mainly because I'm a sucker for multi-mode filters. The unison mode is great for Moog-ish basses and leads. Adding Synthcom's Europa brings the MIDI spec up to date and adds a few more features. Also, owning one for over 16 years, I can create sounds with it without having to think much. No menus, just lots of sliders.

If you're into step sequencers, the P'08 would be a great machine for you.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 am

i have them both & love them both, only irk w/ the p08 is that it can't handle low end the way old analogs do, just turns into a crackle. aside from that it's probably technically a lot more capable.

same price though, no question, jupiter 6. can always get a p08 later.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:04 am

The Jupiter 6 has a lot of versatility and can get sounds that other much more expensive synths can't do as well. Plus the panel layout is one of the best ever.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm

I agree with the notion that you can always get a Pro '08 later. I was playing Z's Jupiter 6 just last week. Comparing that to the few times I've played the DSI synth in the music shop, the JP6 has that mid-rangey Curtis VCO 80's tone you'd expect, whereas the DSI, with its DCO's, has a slightly brighter, much cleaner upper-end, spectrum-wise. The DSI's lowpass filter reminds me alot of the Evolver's filter, whereas the JP6's lowpass is(to me) kind of like the JX3P.
The DSI has nifty sequence and panning features, whereas the Roland lets you have simultaneous Saw and Pulsemod(for some great strings that won't require voice layering) per oscillator and detunable voices in unison mode. I didn't really have trouble getting bass out of either, although the JP6's basses, with some resonance, were funkier.('zat a word?) The unison detune apparently extends to the JP6's envelopes, because slow attack swells seem to have different attack speeds for each voice, making it sound bigger. The DSI's envelopes apparently have no distinct tolerances for each voice.
The DSI's unison mode sounded a bit more aggressive, great for sync-sweeps and mean basses, whereas the JP6's depends alot on the unison detune. Adjusting it ranges from combed type sounds, to more chorused-like sounds.
Both are capable of very tight tuning, with phase-locking and combed effects possible.
Lastly, I dunno if the DSI does crossmod, but I found the crossmod on the JP6 to be alot of fun for endless sound effects. This is primarily due to the simultaneous waveforms(Tri,Saw,Pulse), giving you a wide variety of modulation waveshapes, and the VCO2 detune knob, in 'low frequency' mode, has a pretty wide range for real-time tweaking. Video Gamey and spacey sounds abound. This goes doubly so with the resonant Highpass filter also being tweaked in realtime.

Only two complaints I can think of on the JP6 are that its output is mono, and some Amp envelope settings cause loud popping sounds on key-on and key-off. It's not always easy to compensate for.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:20 pm

ive had tons of experience with my jp6 and the many we've prepared for sale over the years and way less experience with the prophet 08, having only played them a couple times in music stores. based on my personal experience, id go for the jp6, for what its worth. but id also upgrade the jp6 with the europa midi upgrade.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 am

JP6's are only going to get more expensive.... and then they'll all start to die. So get one now while they're still a viable proposition. Prophet 08's will be around for years yet and their price probably wont vary much within the next ten years.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 am

I am not a fan of either, flipped a few JP-6's and only played with P '08 in store.

I would certainly get the JP-6 and get the Europa upgrade(brings new life to it). I'm not a fan of any of the new DSI equipment and really want too.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 am

That Jupiter 6 must be yours. I have love for the P08 but some of these newer analogs are a bit too friendly...there's no analog synth equivalent Fenrir lurking inside waiting to bite your hands off. There will be many P08s along the way. JP-6s will only become more scarce.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

TrueNotes
Gear: Yamaha CS-50, Roland Jupiter 6 (europa upgrade), Korg MS-20, 12 bit samplers Prophet 2000 and Korg DSM-1,Yamaha SU700, 003 Rack.
Band: TrueNotes Productions

Post by TrueNotes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Had PH'08 sold it for Jupiter 6 and I got the europa upgrade. JP6 all the way. Don't get me wrong prophet sounds great but Jupiter is more hands on.... with the prophet it will take you months trying to adjust to the way its routed but with Jp6 everything is there in front of you.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:30 pm

jupiter-6. i sold mine to help finance my modular but i knew it would be missed.

kurtz
Gear: Kurzweil K2Vx

Post by kurtz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:42 pm

It's a difficult choice really, they are both great synths. If you are looking for pure sounds and are the type to whom warmth is important, the I would go with the Prophet '08, otherwise the Jupiter 6 is so much richer, I personally would take the Jupiter 6.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:05 pm

All I can add is that the Jupiter 6 has that easy controls layout Roland is infamous for. Combine that with the low freq. mode of VCO2 used for modulating VCO 1's pitch, knowing that you potentially get simultaneous Saw Pulse and Triangle, and aside from the standard stuff, this thing is as fun as an SCI Pro~One for making sound effects.

Here are the better bits from that 2 hour session I recently had with one:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by paulh » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:54 pm

had my jupiter 6 since 92 , still love it , still surprises me , and it's like a new toy since i put the europa in it.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:03 pm

xpander wrote:jupiter-6. i sold mine to help finance my modular but i knew it would be missed.
god this thread somehow has me wanting a jup-6 when I never thought I wanted one... Xpander, how do you rate it compared to THE xpander, envelope speeds and hand on controls aside?
Do you even post on vse bro?