Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

Post by Z » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:33 pm

For hands-on control, the JP-6 can't be beat (esp. compared to XP-1 which takes some getting used to). I don't use my XP-1 very much, so I can't comment on the EG speeds, but the XP-1's EG's are more complex and can be looped if I remember correctly.

JP-6 vs. XP-1 might be a shoot-off with a more even playing field. If the XP-1 has more controls and MIDI syncable LFO's, it'd probably be the ULTIMATE synth.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Jupiter 6 VS. Prophet '08

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Z wrote:For hands-on control, the JP-6 can't be beat (esp. compared to XP-1 which takes some getting used to). I don't use my XP-1 very much, so I can't comment on the EG speeds, but the XP-1's EG's are more complex and can be looped if I remember correctly.

JP-6 vs. XP-1 might be a shoot-off with a more even playing field. If the XP-1 has more controls and MIDI syncable LFO's, it'd probably be the ULTIMATE synth.
yeah, I think it would really come down to interface vs. complexity... I have no doubt the j6's envs are faster tho... anything is faster than the xpander! so punchy sequenced sounds like I have heard on various jup demos would not sound so hot. There is a CV in on the xpander tho, so technically a midi-clocked lfo is possible.

I guess really what I want wondering what how they sound in terms of just pure tone. My guess is that the jup sounds more bright and roland-esque, whereas the xp probably sounds a little fuller and rounder. Part of the xpander's charm is that it doesn't lose bass when rez is turned up-does the jup6?
Do you even post on vse bro?