Battle of the lower-priced 'hybrid' synths.

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
aeon

Re: Battle of the lower-priced 'hybrid' synths.

Post by aeon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:27 pm

The Korg DW8000 has one filter per voice, i.e., 8 voices (with two DWGS oscs each) and 8 filters.

cheers,
Ian

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:41 pm

well then i'm wrong

regardless I still wouldn't recommend it over an ESQ1/sq80 or microwave or k3.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

haydenvan
Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000

Post by haydenvan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:28 pm

@ Joey
"Ensoniq SQ-80/esq1 - My guitarist owns an sq80 and we use it live (and it gets some use on my recordings too) The clear f**k winner here. Between the MASSIVE sound, sequencer, amazing interface and sheer amount of waves, I think this is the best hybrid synth outside of maybe the Prophet VS or Poly Evolver."

When did you ever record with my SQ80? haha. But yes, the SQ80 is my favorite synth out of the list. Definitely the best bang for your buck in the hybrid synth world. I almost settled for an ESQ1 but for a little extra $ you get polyphonic aftertouch, more waveforms, more memory. Both have great filters, lots of modulation possibilities, and I guess are built like a tank. (Borrowed a keyboard stand, broke, sq80 fell down, still works just fine. :D )

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm

the next time I borrow it from you I will :)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:19 am

i feel like the esq-1 gets a little over rated. it's really good for clangy detuned bells (think japan or ryuichi sakamoto's merry christmas mr lawrence soundtrack) and woozy strings, and that's about it. basses are way too muddy for my tastes, and the envelopes are really mellow. most of the sampled waveforms are unusable, and without a chorus in your effects loops it sounds really thin and weedy. saying this, i love it's multitimbrality and it has a ridiculously user friendly interface and great keyboard action. the sequencer is cool (actually the seq on mine only worked for like 2 days before some of the front panel buttons decided to stop working) - it's basically a built in mmt8.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:20 am

colmon wrote:i feel like the esq-1 gets a little over rated. it's really good for clangy detuned bells (think japan or ryuichi sakamoto's merry christmas mr lawrence soundtrack) and woozy strings, and that's about it. basses are way too muddy for my tastes, and the envelopes are really mellow. most of the sampled waveforms are unusable, and without a chorus in your effects loops it sounds really thin and weedy. saying this, i love it's multitimbrality and it has a ridiculously user friendly interface and great keyboard action. the sequencer is cool (actually the seq on mine only worked for like 2 days before some of the front panel buttons decided to stop working) - it's basically a built in mmt8.
I've ended up with a collection of these hybrids and they've all got their pluses and minuses.

ESQ1 - muddy, slightly weedy fundamental sound yet lots of depth to the programming and as mentioned, nice interface and keyboard. When I got it years ago I spent some time trying to get it sounding like a Juno or something but it's no good for that, it excels at original hybrid sounds. You have to embrace what it's good at.

Some great ESQ1 demos here.

EX8000 - stronger sound yet fairly basic voice architecture. Good mod-delay.

K3m - like the DW/EX, strong sound (SSM filters) but none too complicated. Nice chorus.

Microwave 1 - most complicated architecture with a pretty c**p interface, capable of some great sounds but can sound really horrible. Slightly bland CEM filters are a negative compared with the Kawai's and the Korg's.

To summarise, if you like analogue sounding stuff get the Korg or Kawai, if you want more harsh and gritty digi/hybrid sounds the Ensoniq/Waldorf are a better choice. If you're after smooth and warm PPG sounds I'd say a K3 is closer in some ways than the Microwave due to the SSM filters.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:13 am

i think the the table top version of the evolver fits in that category

that is what i would get .

maybe i'll buy it with the money i made selling the ESQm and DW-8000

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 am

From the Korg DW8000 manual, which can be found at: http://www.pallium.com/bryan/dw/DW-8000_Manual.pdf

"This [sic] DW8000s eight voltage controlled filters (one per voice) remove or emphasize portions of the basic waveform harmonics..."

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:40 am

my favorite by far is original microwave - gritty 8bit wavetables thru lofi DAC, into Curtis VCF and VCA. to me, most musical/useful of the lot. followed by Ensoniq ESQ-1. love its dirty texture, lofi waves and flexible arhitecture. can't fit everywhere, more like a specialty item.

DW8000 has a very nice filter, warmer & rounder than the cutting ESQ and MW, but the synth engine is rather simple, and the choice of waveforms small, without any means of extending this by modulating em like you can on a wavetable machine. all together i wasn't excited enough to keep it, when i got one on tryout.

K3 i havent tried, but would love too. anyone got some nice demos?

my 0.02

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc