DSI Poly Evolver OR DSI Combo of MEK & Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: DSI Poly Evolver OR DSI Combo of MEK & Prophet '08

Post by rharris07 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm

RD9 wrote:
rharris07 wrote:yeah now that I've had my P08 for a few months, it tends to be my go-to synth for bass...but i haven't gotten too far into morphing sounds yet - i've played a bit with it, but i tend to get frustrated with the LFOs...i'm not getting response from them as well as i had hoped...maybe i'm just not into the synth yet enough to know my way around it inside and out, i kinda always go to a bass line on it instead of exploring further...but damn can that bass sound awesome!
Obviously it's been a while since your original post, but I was wondering how the P08 is behaving as a lead for you? I've noticed in my own stuff that I get better results from a monosynth for leads because of the way the notes overlap and sound. Poly notes sometimes sound too thick, particularly when the ADSR-release is long and with sawtooths, even if you just play one note at a time. When the notes overlap, you get this unneeded extra layering that doesn't sit well in the mix by the time you add everything else. It starts to get too muddy. Square and tri waves aren't as bad, but the sound isn't as "clean" as on a monosynth. I don't know, maybe it depends on the music.

I just recently picked up an MEK which sounds great, but I'm still getting used to the interface...

Well - i think its a two part deal when it comes to using the poly as a lead, you nailed both...you have to know your synth really well, PLUS it depends on the music.

with the P08 - its a synth I won't ever want to get rid of (unless I could trade it for an PEK), and yeah I've been diving deeper into it lately...so I'm more comfortable with it at this point. Its still amazing for bass, and I've used it quite a bit for rhythm sequences...not a whole lot on leads. I've been deferring to my Indigo2 for leads, just setting it to mono creates a rather powerful mono lead. i've also been using my SCI six-trak as a lead, just add boss phaser/electroharmonix mistress, and it really thickens that synth up.

at this point - i've decided that i'm looking for a prophet 600, and a MEK...i think i could be set for years to come with those two in my set up. The MEK seems to be great for thick, strong weirdness and atmosphere, while the prophet 600 could provide some of the more vintage sound i've been craving but have yet to find outside of the six-trak.

If you're looking for a really strong lead - you might try out something along the lines of the Virus C from Access, like I said - I've been using the Indigo2 (which is really just a Virus C for the most part) and it has some amazing analog qualities to its sound. It can be really, really thick and powerful, and quite calm and subdued as well.

If you ever decide you don't want that MEK - let me know!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

RD9

Re: DSI Poly Evolver OR DSI Combo of MEK & Prophet '08

Post by RD9 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:14 pm

rharris07 wrote:
RD9 wrote:
rharris07 wrote:yeah now that I've had my P08 for a few months, it tends to be my go-to synth for bass...but i haven't gotten too far into morphing sounds yet - i've played a bit with it, but i tend to get frustrated with the LFOs...i'm not getting response from them as well as i had hoped...maybe i'm just not into the synth yet enough to know my way around it inside and out, i kinda always go to a bass line on it instead of exploring further...but damn can that bass sound awesome!
Obviously it's been a while since your original post, but I was wondering how the P08 is behaving as a lead for you? I've noticed in my own stuff that I get better results from a monosynth for leads because of the way the notes overlap and sound. Poly notes sometimes sound too thick, particularly when the ADSR-release is long and with sawtooths, even if you just play one note at a time. When the notes overlap, you get this unneeded extra layering that doesn't sit well in the mix by the time you add everything else. It starts to get too muddy. Square and tri waves aren't as bad, but the sound isn't as "clean" as on a monosynth. I don't know, maybe it depends on the music.

I just recently picked up an MEK which sounds great, but I'm still getting used to the interface...

Well - i think its a two part deal when it comes to using the poly as a lead, you nailed both...you have to know your synth really well, PLUS it depends on the music.

with the P08 - its a synth I won't ever want to get rid of (unless I could trade it for an PEK), and yeah I've been diving deeper into it lately...so I'm more comfortable with it at this point. Its still amazing for bass, and I've used it quite a bit for rhythm sequences...not a whole lot on leads. I've been deferring to my Indigo2 for leads, just setting it to mono creates a rather powerful mono lead. i've also been using my SCI six-trak as a lead, just add boss phaser/electroharmonix mistress, and it really thickens that synth up.

at this point - i've decided that i'm looking for a prophet 600, and a MEK...i think i could be set for years to come with those two in my set up. The MEK seems to be great for thick, strong weirdness and atmosphere, while the prophet 600 could provide some of the more vintage sound i've been craving but have yet to find outside of the six-trak.

If you're looking for a really strong lead - you might try out something along the lines of the Virus C from Access, like I said - I've been using the Indigo2 (which is really just a Virus C for the most part) and it has some amazing analog qualities to its sound. It can be really, really thick and powerful, and quite calm and subdued as well.

If you ever decide you don't want that MEK - let me know!
Nice. I almost picked up an older Indigo from a local seller, but there was a key problem that I didn't want to deal with, so I held out and stumbled across this used MEK at a shop nearby. I kind of get attached to used gear, since it reminds me of adoption, but I'll definitely let you know if I let go of it. It's going to be a while until I get used to it though (and another mono I just picked up), but I have a feeling my next purchase will be a replacement/upgrade for the Radias... some kind of poly (if that ever happens). I think the perfect combination for me is to have three favorite instruments -- either one mono and two polys, or two monos and one poly. Anything more than starts to feel like too much. I'm pretty damn close to my ideal setup... 99.9% I just hope DSI doesn't come out with an MEK killer that will derail my current poly upgrade plans. hahaha