yamaha cs-5 vs cs-15 bass

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
kissingteeth

yamaha cs-5 vs cs-15 bass

Post by kissingteeth » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 pm

any thoughts, going by specs alone it seems like it should be clear cut and the 15 should be better. however, i keep reading stuff saying that the 10 is better than the 15 for bass sounds etc. also seems like there is a lot of conflicting opinions out there as to whether either of these synths is really that great for bass...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: yamaha cs-5 vs cs-15 bass

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 am

Depends what kind of bass sounds you want. "Better bass" is hardly objective. The 5 is more immediate but less flexible. The 15 will give you 2-osc sounds, and has an extra filter for interesting dual modulations - but the 5 is so simple it's hard not to get something out of it.

Horses, courses. What do you want, how much can you spend, get which you feel like and if it's not right, get the other.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:41 pm

In terms of frequency range of osc, filter and VCA, they're the same. The CS-10 allows you to add some snap to the attack, with the extra controls for attack in the filter envelope. I guess the CS-15 has the same envelope. The CS-5 has only one envelope just normal ADSR. Two oscillators is good, but it's not always the best thing for bass. As nathanscsribe says, it depends!

I think the 15 doesn't have sample and hold from the LFO. Is that correct? I think that's the only difference. Irrelevant for bass.

If you're looking for a bass line machine, the CS series is a bit limited. I'd be looking at a Pro One. Or a Nord Lead 2x ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:54 pm

CS-15 has S&H on the LFO.

A CS-15 with the series filter mod would be great for bass, you could run a resonant HPF to beef up the bottom end and also filter the top with a LPF. It's a great way to get beefy basses. I've got some good basses from my 15, although I'd rather have a Pro One or FR XS as my sole bass machine.

kissingteeth

Post by kissingteeth » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 am

thanks for the replies. I already have a mopho and micro mod that both do decent bass, so the yamaha wouldn't be my lone bass machine, i'm cool with using it for a lot of efx, processing and such. I was just curious. assuming that I can ever actually meet up with the seller one of these is going to be my first true analog, so I guess I'm just excited for that.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 am

the thing about the cs 15 isn't just the lovely bass sound (which will sit very well in a mix) but is also the access to those really wonderful sounding bandpass filters. That to me is the reason to go for the 15 over the 5.

R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Post by R.L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:05 am

A lot of people lean towards the CS-15 since it is a beefier synth with more flexibility, I love my CS-5, but basswise go Pro-one, the CS-5 is good in the sense their cheap and still a pretty common little guy, but go the CS-15 route its a bit more money, but you get a lot more programability.
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000