Blofeld vs TI

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Blofeld vs TI

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Was hoping to never make a thread in this part of the forum, but here goes...

I have a Polar. For the most part, I like the way it sounds. Even though editing is easy and has plenty of knobiness, it just doesn't grab me. I mostly bought it for the wavetable capabilities, but truth be told, it seems to be lacking in the higher frequencies, which sort of negates all the ways of modulating the tables. It seems to have this darker sound that doesn't really gel with me (it replaced my MEK, which was hella bright). Plus it was expensive as f**k and really doesn't fit in with my style.

Anyways, I picked up an R3, which is the perfect fit for making my harsh digital leads for cutting through nasty a*s guitar and so forth, but I still have the need for a pad/ambience/ethereal machine and I was wondering how well the Blofeld would fit the bill, especially in how it would compete with the wavetable dept and how quickly I can dial up a useful sound.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Blofeld vs TI

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:17 am

the blofeld's wavetables are exactly the same as the ones in the XTk, except that it also has the Alt 1 and 2 and Upper wavetable from the Q and PPG respectively.

What I've found from the blofeld (and largo) is that they have a much more "hi fi" sound than the XT and older waldorfs do. Definitely BRIGHT and they don't have that lo fi crunch that the older waldorfs have again. The brilliance control on the wavetables is really nice for trying to get lo fi, and the filter saturation stuff on the blofeld works much in the same way as the virus, and you get some really cool curves like sine x lp and s&h. Oh and less stepping between the waves as well

It can definitely get atmospheric, and there is a lot of fun to be had, however I feel like if you didnt like the TI you might not like the blofeld. they are both very WHITE and I don't just mean in look.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:05 am

Heh, nice. I like where I can get to on the TI, but I that location is really never what I thought it should have been, if that makes sense. I remember gelling with the XT/XTk better, but the added options of the Blofeld seem to have more appeal and are easier to find and smaller. For all the nastiness I put on things, having something utterly white is kind of an appeal, but I just can't justify keeping the TI around when I need the money more, especially if a Blofeld is going to get me pretty close to what I am getting now.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:21 am

well the blofeld is definitely a great synth and can definitely get atmospheric but if it was me I'd hold off until all the bugs are fixed, the waldorf mailing list is literally all posts about blofeld bugs and how people hate the company for not fixing them

there is a rumor that a new OS might be coming after winter NAMM so if that fixes everything then i'd snatch one up

if you need the money then the virus is definitely worth alot... i bought mine brand new when they were out for like 2800 or whatever (one of a few synths i've bought new ever), and holy f**k that was an investment, and it surprises me how much they've gone down in value

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:24 am

If you're looking to free up some money Id say its exactly the step to take..

but yeah.. the blofeld wont completely cover you.. maybe post some sounds you use your TI to make and the blofeld owners can have a go? Then you can tell if it will be able to do it. . (I dont own mine anymore)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:38 am

what you'll really miss out on from teh TI is all the formant shifting stuff and the FX section. the FX on the blofeld kind of suck. but the blofeld has comb filters and the PPG filter (versus the virus's analog emulated filter).

if it was between teh blofeld and the snow I'd get the blofeld, but money being no object I'd keep the TI...

but if its about the money than the blofeld is a totally reasonable decision, i just dont want to see you selling it in a few months and going after another killer synth because it isnt your style haha

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 am

Tallow, did you get rid of the XTK?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:49 am

yes, I own it now.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 pm

:lol: I think Joey got a few of my synths...

Anyhow, I don't like the FX in the Polar, pretty boring to me and the R3 has more options (I only ever use delay or chorus, as I hate phasers and have no use for reverb) anyways. Luckily, I bought mine used and got a great deal, so hopefully I can make most of my money back. The R3 has pretty rudimentary formant shifting, which is all I really need, and I have no use for analog emulation anything. I don't know, to me it just doesn't have that much character, at least not one I care for. I decided to record 11 more songs with it before I flogged it off, and I am about half way there and pretty excited to see it go.

You know, none of this would even be an issue if DSI would make an MEK PE edition, but I think a DEvo, R3, and Blofeld would keep me plenty happy for a few albums, especially with a little extra cash for school.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:49 pm

I think the advice so far is spot-on, but one thing not mentioned that must be considered is the Blofeld has much less polyphony and multi-timbral capability. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Another thing to consider is that with an upgrade, the Blofeld can play back samples in place of its oscs. Needless to say, this is a huge potential as it concerns sound-design.

As a former Virus owner, I agree that its overall character is dark. The Q, on which the Blofeld is based, is bright - very much the other end than the Virus. I sold my Q because it didn't deliver for me in a few key ways. The Blofeld seems to have addressed those issues very nicely - most of which is the ability to get dirty/angry.

cheers,
Ian

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Multi timbral? Is that like MIDI cable stuff?

:lol:

Polyphony is nice to have, though I rarely need more than 8 notes or so. Obviously, multi timbral operation is not something I care about. This all sounds absolute bees knees. Only a few more songs left and goodbye to the TI.

Thanks gents.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Let me know when I can hear some of that record. It will be nice to hear some virus stuff that isn't shitty trance/house/electro/EBM.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Hey, why don't you put on your best scarf and bring some gorgeous bitches down to NC and I'll even let you sing on it.

Really though, I think I am going to try the internet collaboration for vocals on this one. Maybe I can get one or two people to throw out something...

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:58 pm

aeon wrote: The Blofeld seems to have addressed those issues very nicely - most of which is the ability to get dirty/angry.

cheers,
Ian
That's what I'd say. The Blofeld gets dirty real good.

The effects are not so great and can cause some headaches but the distortion is very gritty and the extended mod matrix with the operators is endlessly cool. It can get away from you sometimes. The Blofeld lacks in the low bit department compared to the XT but it does the PPG filter and upper wavetables very well. I just wished I could get as "steppy" of a wavetable as I can with the PPGv soft synth. Something about the Blofeld which makes it smoother but not as smooth as the Q. The filters (LP, BP & HP) are a bit more digital sounding than the Microwave 1 (of course), but the comb is really useful and the notch is better than most. The arpeggiator probably won't be a big deal to you but the Blofeld isn't quite as robust as the TI, although it is pretty good.

My TI is always the first to go in my mind too. I love it for certain things (digital pads) but without the software Integration I use it less. I have had to decouple it from the computer to free up space for more midi interfaces so it is a front-panel device for me now. Less useful IMO.

Some have given the Blofeld bad marks for the ongoing bugs, but I have a pretty stable unit. I've stuck with v1.11
The multi mode was another prickly-point but I have recorded whole songs with it in multi mode. It just works different from say the Q or XT which are a bit easier to set up in multi mode. More menu mangling on the Blofeld.

If you need the cash and wavetable lookup synthesis is your quest, go for the Blofeld. I have the R3 too and I like its formant capabilities. One of my favorite "ana-likes". A great value. I'd rate the Blofeld up there with the R3 in bang for buck value.

-David
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey, thanks for the in depth look. Only a few more songs with the TI, then it's Blofeld for me. Any insight on how well the sample playback is implemented?