Blofeld vs TI

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Re: Blofeld vs TI

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 pm

It def needs more knobs. If you are the type of person that is patient with menu page flipping then you will be alright. I am sort of in the middle about it right now. It is alright because I don't focus on more than one area at a time and can only turn 2 knobs at once. The way the menus are setup work fine though.

If they had made the keyboard version with lots more knobs I would have gone for that no question. I am hoping the SL upgrade works out real well making this thing a real keeper. If not oh well v-synth it is. They need to fix some of the effects that make it go silent if you tweak them while playing.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 pm

The blofeld looks interesting for the price but the few knobs looks like a difficult interface for a deep synth. That has kept me away.

So you are a big fan of the Emax II? I’ve been thinking about the Emax I a bit due to it being the last of the E-mu analog filter devices. I suspect the interface is very similar. How do you find the interface, programming? I’ve actually never ventured into hardware sampling outside of the ES-1 but am getting more and more interested in exploring that avenue. Have you tried the rack? It looks to have similar controllability… (You can split this off to the sampler forum if it is too off topic)
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I don't mind menu scrolling, ala old Kawais and Yamahas and Alpha Juno, I just can't jive with the Blofeld. It's a cool synth, but I'm just a weird guy. I like to get my perceived moneys worth from a synth and I don't see myself doing it with a Blofeld.

Anyhow, using the Emax II is a f**k dream. Like any old school hardware sampler, you need to learn patch organization hierarchy (a big deal with a Roland sampler, a piece of cake with an Emu), but once you get there, all the directions are printed right on the front. After having my Emax II for 2 months, I could operate it with my eyes closed, really. Excellent transposition, sweet sounds, nice digital filter, killer arpeggiator, and so on. Never used the rack, but it appears to be about the same. Only downsides really are the massive size, SCSI (which isn't bad, just a pain sometimes), and sluggish midi timing in the sequencer when you get to 16ths and 32nds for say, hi hats.

My Myspace (link in listening lounge) has several songs with lots of Emax II - Picture Window (lead brass), Behind You (bell leads, some lower drones, movie dialogue samples), and Mermaids (the tinkly steel drum sound). I know I can hear the distinct lack of sparkle that would be there with modern 44.1 sampler (most of my samples are at 20-22 rate), but the trade is this very creamy warmth and overall nice sound I have yet to get with another piece of gear.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm

They are now around the $500. When I tried one many years ago, they were around $2000 and very far away from my wallet.
The user interface was awesome. I didn't sample anything with the Emax ii I had for a few days, just spent a long time loading samples from a huge library when trying to make a Depeche cover, and I was very excited with it.
sorry for the out-of-topic post.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:12 am

bought a blofeld a little while ago...even though I like the sounds, effects, filter it has been my least used synth so far. I think it will be worth getting to know but the accessibility of some of my other recent pieces (rs7000, es-1) has left it in the dust so far. I use an emu-mp7 as a master sequencer so really I need to assign up the 16 knobs it has to some good parameters on the blofeld and really open it up.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 am

blavatsky wrote:bought a blofeld a little while ago...even though I like the sounds, effects, filter it has been my least used synth so far. I think it will be worth getting to know but the accessibility of some of my other recent pieces (rs7000, es-1) has left it in the dust so far. I use an emu-mp7 as a master sequencer so really I need to assign up the 16 knobs it has to some good parameters on the blofeld and really open it up.

One thing you can do with the Blofeld is dedicate four midi CC's to be "controller W/X/Y/Z" (configurable in the global settings page). Then in any given patch, set up a modulation matrix so each of those controllers modifies something interesting. That way a knob on your controller could be the decay time for one patch, but the LFO rate for another patch.. basically always the most useful control for that patch.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

@otto

The interface is MUCH easier than it initially appears. The screen makes it quite easy to program, it's quite intuitive and it's very clear how everything works.

I like the blofeld but it has a lot of issues - seriously dodgy and unreliable outputs (worst I've ever heard on a modern synth), sometimes buggy OS (latest update still hasn't fixed all the bugs) and poor sounding effects section. I recommend disabling the internal effects entirely.

Lot's of modulation options compared to many other synths. The sounds are good, it definitely has the 'waldorf sound'. But when I play high pitched sounds on it it's a bit harsh though (and not harsh in a 'good' way).

I've never played the TI so I can't comment on that.

I recommend a Blofeld if you can find one cheap and in good condition (definitely test all the outputs before you buy one). But if you already have a waldorf synth (Q or Microwave) I don't think the Blofeld will add much to your setup.