Xpander Vs SunSyn vs ???

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
droolmaster0

Re: Xpander Vs SunSyn vs ???

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

I'll also comment on the Omega series - ultimately, after the initial enthusiasm over the pure sound quality wore off, I decided I didn't like it much. It's one of those synths, and it's hard to describe, but I've had a similar experience with the Nord Leads....it's like they are devised to give you great, static, sounds - but when you really start modulating the sounds, they just don't seem to work as smoothly. The Sunsyn modulates amazingly - great timbral changes happening musically (even if the sounds themselves are harsh), whereas I just didn't find that with the Omega. The Omega has much more of a vintage sound, I think, but many criticize it for being too clean.

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Thank you very much for you input. They way you laid out the strengths and weaknesses of each unit really allowed me to see what is most important to me. Though I am most passionate about programing both units have sufficient capability for modulation. Even if the xpander has more modulation capability, for what I do, it isn't necessary. Even though i do not do a lot of live tweaking, as in preforming, when I am programing a sound I like having an abundance of nobs and sliders at my disposal, its just more fun and inspiring. Lastly sound, from what I have heard the Sunsyn has a sound that is closer to what I want.
I believe I will be saving up for a Sunsyn.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:36 pm

There is a good price on a Matrix 12 over on the muffwiggler forums. It has a couple small issues and he’s asking $2500…
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 am

Where's the FS section on the Muff Wiggler forums? I don't see it. At least not when I go through AH.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:53 am

plikestechno wrote:Where's the FS section on the Muff Wiggler forums? I don't see it. At least not when I go through AH.
you have to be logged-in.

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am

That is an awsome deal. To bad I don't have my funds prepared.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:00 am

Ianh wrote:That is an awsome deal. To bad I don't have my funds prepared.
If you really want it, and can have the funds soon + make a deposit, make an offer. Sometimes the seller will need the money immediately, but sometimes he'll be cool with an arrangement. I think that it's a bit harder to sell expensive items right now, so who knows? It has worked for me a few times.