Camel Audio Alchemy vs. Kawai K5000R

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
tomoe97

Camel Audio Alchemy vs. Kawai K5000R

Post by tomoe97 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Which additive synth sounds better for ambient-style music? Can the soft synth Alchemy do everything that the hardware K5000 can?

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: Camel Audio Alchemy vs. Kawai K5000R

Post by mao » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Try... VirSyn CUBE

virsyn cube

they push their resynthesis engine... but it's only a (good) plus. It's a full and easy addictive synth with morphing capabilities. Excellent. Download the demo and try it.

K5000 is beautiful but a pain to program.

rlm00
Gear: Roland JD-990, Yamaha TG-77, Access Virus Indigo, Ensoniq SQ-80, Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha A5000, Emu E4XT

Post by rlm00 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 am

mao wrote:Try... VirSyn CUBE

virsyn cube

they push their resynthesis engine... but it's only a (good) plus. It's a full and easy addictive synth with morphing capabilities. Excellent. Download the demo and try it.

K5000 is beautiful but a pain to program.
haha I hear this about so many synths "its a pain to program" then I try them out and they're not difficult at all. I gotta wonder if all the people saying this are just plain lazy. case in point...just bought a yamaha tg-77 , every forum or user review site I've been to features several users saying what a pain it is to program...I get it home and to my pleasure find that its not difficult to program at all. have'nt even used the manual yet and Im pretty deep into this thing already. this isn't the first case of this either.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 am

Well if you find confortable digging 200 pages on a small display with up,down,left,right keys... well get it !!!

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 am

i programmed the kyma capybara system and thought the k5000 was obtuse and difficult without sound diver and even then ...

-matia

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I absolutely love the K5000 and it's one of my deepest synths...
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

I have Alchemy and am quite interested in hearing what others have to say comparing the additive engines and sounds. I heard the K5000 at someone's house and while not all of it was cool, there was some lead sounds this guy programmed that were completely out of this world. It sounded so alive and awesome, I couldn't believe how different, ripping and sparkling compared to a plasticy VA it sounded.

I bought Alchemy and their additive synth CA5000 came with it for free.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Just downloaded the demo of Alchemy. After playing with it for 20 minutes, before my 10 month old awoke from her nap, I gotta say I am very impressed. I played with the first couple presets for the entire 20 minutes and was instantly inspired to make a tune... I had just started to patch in my Voyager when the little one woke up. :)

I know where my next $249 is going.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:32 pm

So do you guys think the alchemy player with the planet earth sound set is worth the pay whatever you want price going on right now?

I've never purchased any soft synths - all I have is what came with garageband on my macbook, but if it'll work with garageband - i'm quite interested in expanding to have some much needed higher quality stuff.

is the alchemy player extremely limited compared to alchemy itself? I can only assume so...BUT at the same time, I don't want a lot of options for my soft synths because that will only lead to me having so many options that I never force myself to complete anything. Thats why I like garageband so much - it forces me to stay limited and keep my eyes and ears on one sound.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

it reminds me of the synths that are marketed to hobbyists. nice if you just want to play the sounds in the pack and do some light tweeking. i've heard that the alchemy player is a clone of the kore player, which i was able to download for free with a free pack or two when i bought maschine, and to be honest it's not that great. it struck me as a wicked marketing gimmick. with a traditional instrument, when you've used the sounds enough and your tired of them, you can just make new ones. with the player, you have to buy them. it sort of takes alot of the fun of patch creation out of it, and replaces it with a relience on purchasing what is essentially sample sets. and then by the time you buy a nice little group of sound packs, you've already spent what you would have spent on the real deal.

the pay what you want aspect obiously means that it costs whatever you think it's worth to you. i would suspect that they make most of their money from the sample sets, and are hoping you will get hooked by the deal and then invest in some more sounds later. they also sell from a point of percieved higher morality, so turning down the purchase also includes making the decision to not give to charity. so basically, one gets attracted by the 'your in control' aspect, allured by the percieved low cost, and hooked by the slightly forced moral obligation/ dilema, which puts the player into your hands, at which point buying another sound set is only, what, $50, $100 more? each? if you can buy it, enjoy it simply, take it for what it is, and resist spending more than what you would spend on the real deal, then be my guest...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Ive had both and I would go with the Kawai K5000. Its a wonderful synth. It has a very unique sound. Its very clean sounding, pristine I would say. Great for leads, pads, and strings. Not especially great for basses, but I supposed you could squeeze some out. Alchemy isnt bad either, but it seems a little more difficult to program. I like the additive synthesis capabilities in Ableton's Operator program. Great user interface.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]